Opinion on different TV Broadcast teams? TVA impresses me

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
There was a lot of talk in the beginning of the year about Habs hockey shifting from RDS/TSN towards sportsnet/TVA, most of it negative.

Everyone loves the TSN team, and most don't enjoy the sportsnet team nearly as much. And RDS - although not perfect, have always produced a great show and I think Pierre Houde is a foundation that most Montrealers appreciate.

Well - as we near the end of the playoffs (we're roughly ~4 weeks away from winning the cup against Chicago in the finals :yo: ) - what is everyone's opinion now about Sportsnet + TVA?

I have to say i have watched TVA exclusively almost during the playoffs and I am VERY much appreciating them.

1. Jose Theodore. I love him. Was a huge fan of him as a player, but he's always well spoken, smart, and enjoyable to watch

2. Michel Bergeron - can often be over the top, but honestly, I've found him to not be too terrible. I've mostly managed to enjoy him.

3. The third guy on that panel (I can't think of his name) is always very well spoken

4. The play by play team is very fun. I've tried watching games on CBC, and always find the enthusiasm level of the play by play team to be *very* lacking in contrast to TVA

How about everyone else? How do you feel about the TVA Sports broadcasts so far?

MontrealYul

Mar 29, 2012
The broadcast is OK but the play by play by (I forgot his name) is quite bad, at least compared to Pierre Houde. I did laugh when he said WOW Les Canadiens marquent plus qu'un but incroyable!.

PricePkPatch*

Paul Houde is a very interesting person.

I wished they had him, instead of a mere regurgitator of pointless facts who cant say a bloody opinion.

Hey Houde! What you have to say is interesting! Your radio show is fun! SAY SOMETHING. If i wanted random facts, id check Wikipedia!!

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
You liked the play by play? Try watching it sober, it's dreadful.

I preferred it to CBC - who I thought was way way too low in energy. I tried switching over to CBC a few times but can't - it's like taking the energy level down 3 notches for me when I do.

I think I liked the color commentator on TVA - is it Patrick Lalime? I think it is. If so i think he was pretty good. the play by play guy isn't as good as Houde, but he isn't all that bad either.

And I am really enjoying Theodore a lot during intermissions.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
There was a lot of talk in the beginning of the year about Habs hockey shifting from RDS/TSN towards sportsnet/TVA, most of it negative.

Everyone loves the TSN team, and most don't enjoy the sportsnet team nearly as much. And RDS - although not perfect, have always produced a great show and I think Pierre Houde is a foundation that most Montrealers appreciate.

Well - as we near the end of the playoffs (we're roughly ~4 weeks away from winning the cup against Chicago in the finals :yo: ) - what is everyone's opinion now about Sportsnet + TVA?

I have to say i have watched TVA exclusively almost during the playoffs and I am VERY much appreciating them.

1. Jose Theodore. I love him. Was a huge fan of him as a player, but he's always well spoken, smart, and enjoyable to watch

2. Michel Bergeron - can often be over the top, but honestly, I've found him to not be too terrible. I've mostly managed to enjoy him.

3. The third guy on that panel (I can't think of his name) is always very well spoken

4. The play by play team is very fun. I've tried watching games on CBC, and always find the enthusiasm level of the play by play team to be *very* lacking in contrast to TVA

How about everyone else? How do you feel about the TVA Sports broadcasts so far?

You like TVA?? They're terrible imo.
Play by play guy is annoying with his ''le quebecois'' every time a qc born player touches the puck. We get it. You work for PKP. Qc Power. Blabla. But it's freaking annoying.
All their analysts bring very little. I don't feel like I'm learning anything when they're speaking. It's also annoying (this isn't privy to TVA though) that none of these analysts actually discuss among each other. They are asked a question, they give their one opinion. It's like they always all agree. I'd like to see more debate from them.

Renaud Lavoie has also become the king at relaying useless info with crap like ''tres interessant de savoir que Gallagher aime manger des cereales le matin des matchs'' or stuff like that.

psychonaut

Sep 4, 2003
Play by play guy is annoying with his ''le quebecois'' every time a qc born player touches the puck. We get it. You work for PKP. Qc Power. Blabla. But it's freaking annoying.
All their analysts bring very little. I don't feel like I'm learning anything when they're speaking. It's also annoying (this isn't privy to TVA though) that none of these analysts actually discuss among each other. They are asked a question, they give their one opinion. It's like they always all agree. I'd like to see more debate from them.

Renaud Lavoie has also become the king at relaying useless info with crap like ''tres interessant de savoir que Gallagher aime manger des cereales le matin des matchs'' or stuff like that.

I agree allot abou the debat too why not have different point of view.
The play by play is the worst on TVA the rest is ok.
Lavoie is useless. Was good during the lockout but that does not say much lol.

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
I like P Houde for his language skills but I have to admit I like the other guys on TVA when they go nuts and say WOW. Their is a lot of emotion in the WOW. The best Houde has come up with is "ma parole"

Boardish

Mar 3, 2004
I miss Pierre Houde and Marc Denis. A lot.

I don't really care about the other parts of the broadcast as I don't usually watch the pregame/postgame show or the intermissions.

Theodore looked somewhat good from what I saw. I was genuinely impressed first time I heard him. Not too hard to look good surrounded by these guys though.

TheCanasianfrasian

Aug 18, 2006
Montreal
They have some good things going for them but they needs to get rid of their Pejorative Slurs.

Breezer, Seguin, Bergeron...

I actually like Lalime especially when he's talking about goaltenders...i don't like the way he pronounces player names tho.

Louis jean has charisma, Houde is great, Theodore is actually getting pretty comfortable with the TV and i'm starting to enjoy im.

i still watch the games on CBC tho, even if i keep telling my tv to : **** healey

Armada

Nov 21, 2013
They have some good things going for them but they needs to get rid of their Pejorative Slurs.

Breezer, Seguin, Bergeron...

I actually like Lalime especially when he's talking about goaltenders...i don't like the way he pronounces player names tho.

Louis jean has charisma, Houde is great, Theodore is actually getting pretty comfortable with the TV and i'm starting to enjoy im.

i still watch the games on CBC tho, even if i keep telling my tv to : **** healey

I agree almost 100%, but for me Félix Séguin is not bad, I love when he say *WOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!* after Price save or a nice goal, Pierre Houde is a robot, I like when they show emotion.

Kjell Dahlin

Jan 10, 2010
Québec, Québec

"... Play by play guy is annoying with his ''le quebecois'' every time a qc born player touches the puck. We get it. You work for PKP. Qc Power. Blabla. But it's freaking annoying. .."

Séguin does it with everyone not only, as you suggested, with the Québécois. Le Suédois (the Swede), le Russe (the Russian)...

As for tvasports I had my doubts but for a first year it’s not that bad. I especially appreciate the fact that Séguin is trying to tone down his voice a little! And Lalime may become a good one.

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
TVA sports is so very bad. And it shows in their numbers, CBC has more than doubled its Québec viewers compared to last year. I watch the games on CBC.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
I'm being generous here as well, 3/10.

1 point for actual airing the game, 1 point for Paul Houde who isn't a complete moron, 1 point for the "so bad it's good" factor that makes you laugh out loud at how bad they are quite often.

Jose Theodore - Terrible, get this guy off the air.
Bergeron - A poor mans Don Cherry.
Felix Seguin - Sucks, overpay the guys from the French radio feed instead they're 1000x better.
Lalime - Half the time he isn't even saying much, and it's probably a good thing.
Brisebois - Sometimes can't even form a coherent opinion and is way in over his head.
Their wannabe Antichambre with Dave Morissette, it makes AC look like a panel hosted by Harvard intellectuals by comparison.

All of it is pretty bad IMO, some of the worst sports broadcasting I've seen in years, can't even be bothered half the time to tell you how many shots were made in a period. Don't worry, I give sportsnet a 2/10 so there's definitely some competition they're better than but that isn't saying a whole lot what with how bad SNET and CBC are. At least both those channels can be bothered to tell me how many shots were made now and then not once a night.

When you go from Pierre Houde & Marc Denis, two of the best in the business, you better be going to the guys like they have on 98.5 and not some scrubs like Felix Seguin and Patrick Lalime. Big mistake by TVA using those two to do the play by play. Sometimes their analysis between periods is somewhat tolerable, but the play by play is some of the worst in the business. You have zero competition in this language, how you can put an announcer like Felix Seguin ahead of some of the other talent here in Quebec is inexcusable.

NoNachoNoParty

Dec 8, 2011
Montreal
I like Theo, Louis Jean, Renaud Lavoie even if he has some very cringeworthy moments, and i think Eric Fichaud is their hidden gem, i like listening to him. The rest are awful. Agree with those who say Pierre Houde and Marc Denis are the best.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
I work mostly in french so I wouldn't consider for a moment watching TVA nor RDS. This isn't a bash, but I am an anglophone.

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
Both TVA and CBC are bad (TVA being slightly worse) but I still chose to watch on TVA. The comedic factor is just too good to pass up. These guys crack me up drunk or sober. They're so over the top it's hilarious.

Brisebois can't even form a complete coherent sentence. Dandenault has that face that makes you laugh whenever he opens his mouth. Bergeron we're used to him from RDS but he's even more ridiculous these days. The rest of them, Morissette, Seguin, etc are also really silly and cringe worthy at times but I like their energy lol.

Last edited:

FuzzyWuzzy

I'm still alive
Dec 20, 2012
Montreal
RDS is better than TVA there's no doubt about that. I do think TVA have been getting better throughout the season though, they're decent these days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad