Opinion of the #2OA options.

2-4 Slashin

Tony Granato Fan!
Jul 25, 2005
South Pasadena
So it seems more obvious than not, that we are likely going to be picking up either Byfield or Stützle. So the question is not so much who you’d prefer in the immediate future but who is more likely to develop into the player that we need based upon the skill set that they have now. Has Stützle reached his skill set peak and will he simply grow to be a matter of his body growing along with that skill set into an NHL game style? He’s the guy isn’t the toughest league and therefore his skill set has it been retested with the elite of the elite. For that matter neither has QB. But we also know that Byfield Has so much more room to grow and that he plays in a league that is styled after the NHL. Of course he has also never been hit by an NHL defenseman while coming up along the walls But he does understand the concept of banging in the midst of using his Skill set. He will also grow into a beast and you can’t teach skill. Also, it seems just about everyone I’ve read has pretty much stated that Byfield can and will take his skills with him to the next level as his body matures.
So as far as being a NHL ready Stützle has a bit of an advantage right now, but in three years would we be regretting not having taken Byfield? I’m honestly more concerned about the long game with this #2 pick than who can play In the NHL next year.

Looking for opinions and perspectives.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
The kings won't be a contender next year nor in all probability the year after. NHL ready now doesn't mean that much in that case. What matters for me is the ceiling.

When you shoot for the Stanley Cup, sometimes risks need to be taken and not the safe approach.

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
I think Yanetti said it best re: drafting BPA vs drafting for need. They won't be drafting for need by position like they have in past years. But where they may look to "need" (and not necessarily with #2OA, just in general), is - do we lack a particular skillset or mold? Again, this is from Yanetti:

If you look at the Kings prospect makeup it's somewhat diverse, but what we don't have (and what very very few teams have) is a potentially elite power forward, which is Byfield's ceiling. The Kings don't have anyone at Stützle's caliber either, but we do have plenty of playmaking forwards.

To me, Byfield has a ceiling comparable to Malkin, while Stützle maybe has a ceiling of a Barzal. Both are awesome, but I would take Malkin over Barzal every time. Who knows what the comparables actually end up being, but that's kind of how I see it.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
I think Eric Staal is a better comparison to Byfield. I'd be thrilled if he were to reach Malkin level but we are talking 1 of the most dominant players in recent memory.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
I think Eric Staal is a better comparison to Byfield. I'd be thrilled if he were to reach Malkin level but we are talking 1 of the most dominant players in recent memory.

Well, lots of folks are saying Kopitar as well. I'll take reaching that ceiling in a millisecond. I imagine a hungrier goal scoring version with not being as elite defensively but being good in his own zone.

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019

I think that's a more likely outcome and still very good, but from what I'm reading a Malkin-type is the best case scenario for his ceiling. We shall see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad