Equipment: Opinion needed :)

Dont Hinder Jinder

Friend of Rick Bognar
Oct 14, 2011
Looking to buy a helmet, I don't often play but thinking of joining a rec league in the near future. I've had a history of concussions so that is a major factor in me replacing my outdated Nike helmet.

Not looking to break the bank (maybe up to $100) and I am a total Easton brand w$%@e :laugh: pretty good sale going on right now at PHL here so just wondering which helmet you guys would recommend out of the following.

-Easton Stealth S9 ($59.99)
-Easton Stealth S19 Z-Shock ($99.99)
-Easton E600 ($119.99)

If you have any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them. Don't know why I'm so particular to Easton LOL.

Only thing that bothers me about the S19 and E600 is the "limited" amount of foam. I know the protection is very good on these helmets but the lack of foam is messing with my head :laugh:

Help!

nullterm

Dec 8, 2007
Port Moody, BC
I have an S9, love it as it feels like you aren't even wearing anything. But don't know if it gives any extra protection. I've had a few bumps into the boards/ice and no issues, but could be cause I'm thick skulled, heh.

If you've already taken a few, I'd go with the S19 with EPP foam liner. Or E600, also has EPP foam.

S9 doesn't have EPP foam.

At the very least, they are all CSA certified.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Go with whatever fits you the best, end of story. Doesn't have to be those 3 so don't ever limit yourself. If the cheapest helmet fits you better than anything else that's more expensive, then that's what you go for.

Fit, fit, fit, fit. Forget prices, brands or suggestions.

TrueBlue86

Oct 17, 2010
Toronto, ON
yea go with the fit

i had a s9 and it gave me headaches after a while 'cause it was a tad too small and it'd pressure my head

now i have a bauer 9900 and couldn't imagine a better helmet
hopefully it holds up. i've been reading some stuff about the padding coming loose

bigbadbruins1

Dec 12, 2008
The newer Bauer reakt( sp?) is my newest helmet. I've had my fair share of concussion and I find it is a comfortable, protective helmet. But its top of the line aka expensive.

kr580

Who knows.
Aug 9, 2009
California
Go with whatever fits you the best, end of story. Doesn't have to be those 3 so don't ever limit yourself. If the cheapest helmet fits you better than anything else that's more expensive, then that's what you go for.

Fit, fit, fit, fit. Forget prices, brands or suggestions.

This a million times. You only have one brain, and you have a history already. Get a helmet that fits correctly first and foremost. A $150 helmet that fits poorly won't help you much. Be smart and remove that Easton bias from your brain right now. Give all the helmets at your local shop(s) a chance.

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
I use a ccm v10, got it for I think $100 I'm store a year or two ago so I'm not sure how much it is now.

TheSharperEdge

Mar 4, 2010
I absolutely love my cascade m11. Very comfortable and is supposed to be one of the best protective helmets out there

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
i have an rbk 11k and its great, but always mix your helemt with a properly fitted mouthguard to help minimize the chance of concussions.

Malreg

May 12, 2011
There's no evidence of that either.

It's amazing how many people out there believe this...

Obviously it won't hurt, but it's never been proven that a mouthguard does anything to prevent concussions. Hockey Quebec made them mandatory this season for all elite-levels. If you don't have one, or are caught chewing it during the play instead of having it in your mouth, you get 1 warning, and then it's a 10 minute misconduct.

Nothing like losing your "fair-play" point because of a mouthguard. If we miss 1st place by one-point at the end of the year I might flip... Sorry, went off on a tangent :laugh:

izzy3

Dec 3, 2009
-Easton Stealth S9 ($59.99)
-Easton Stealth S19 Z-Shock ($99.99)
-Easton E600 ($119.99)

I tried the E600 in the shop and it is awesome. It has that Giro fit thingy, and it does fit perfectly, and very comfortable. It is also very light. It did not feel like it's lacking padding. I was almost tempted to buy one, even though my CCM V10 still fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad