Speculation: Opening night forward lines

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Staple just tweeted about a hour ago this is what it will probably look like on Friday..Thoughts?

Arthur Staple ✔ @StapeNewsday
Capuano pointed out today what seemed to be the case: Lines now will almost certainly be the lines on Friday in Raleigh. #Isles

Arthur Staple ✔ @StapeNewsday
That means:
Conacher-Tavares-Okposo,
Grabovski-Nelson-Strome,
Bailey-Nielsen-Kulemin,
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck on opening night. #Isles

BroadwayJay*

I simply cannot fathom a reason that Matt Martin should play over Anders Lee.

BroadwayJay*

Because we want Lee playing in all situations in Bridgeport rather than 8-10 minutes a night with no pp on the Isles.

That only makes sense if you have an adequate replacement on the Island.

Matt Martin is woefully outskilled on this team.

GravelTheOne

Jun 5, 2007
Alma, Québec
14 points in 22 games last year when he got the call and Lee isn't even a starter? Conacher, who made what 3 teams in a year, is getting his shot on the first line? What's the problem with Lee, got a bad camp?

BroadwayJay*

Different styles, different roles...

I have heard a lot of this "role" nonsense. It is a total copout, in my opinion. What role does Matt Martin bring?

He hits people instead of playing the puck.

He is willing to fight.

He skates poorly, he shoots poorly, he passes poorly.

Is that not a role we can live without?

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
I have heard a lot of this "role" nonsense. It is a total copout, in my opinion. What role does Matt Martin bring?

He hits people instead of playing the puck.

He is willing to fight.

He skates poorly, he shoots poorly, he passes poorly.

Is that not a role we can live without?

We NEED someone to play that role, problem is Martin did a terrible job at it last year...

Paulinho

No Man's Sky
Jun 8, 2003
Earth
I was under the impression Grabovski and Kulemin were told they would play together? I like the lines but I don't see Conacher sticking on the top line.

BroadwayJay*

We NEED someone to play that role, problem is Martin did a terrible job at it last year...

What role is that?

Hitting people instead of playing the puck? Generally being bad at hockey?

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
I just do not understand why people always say you "NEED" that role?

WHY? FOR WHAT?

Someone has to provide a physical presence, it's hockey!

I get what your saying, but i certainly don't want this lineup playing without some muscle...

BroadwayJay*

Someone has to provide a physical presence, it's hockey!

I get what your saying, but i certainly don't want this lineup playing without some muscle...

We have physical presences in Anders Lee, Brock Nelson, Nik Kulemin, Kyle Okposo, Cal Clutterbuck and Casey Cizikas.

Other than fighting, hitting people instead of playing the puck, and generally being bad; what do we need Matt Martin for?

He's completely unneeded.

If Boulton is the healthy scratch out there, I'm going to be sorely upset (and I'm guessing since he hasn't yet been waived, that is the plan).

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
I just do not understand why people always say you "NEED" that role?

WHY? FOR WHAT?

It's truly amazing how MM went to beloved 2 years ago and someone who played a huge part in making the playoffs that year to " He is useless " status. I understand he is not a great hockey player by all means, but, two games in the playoff year that line ( and Martin as the catalyst ) woke the team up. Many posters, fans, and even our announcers looked at that game @ MSG and said that's what turned the season around. Just saying.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=400442665

http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/icetracker?id=2012020191

http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=658113

P.S. When we getting abused by Pitts in the physical department he came up with this.

Last edited:

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
We have physical presences in Anders Lee, Brock Nelson, Nik Kulemin, Kyle Okposo, Cal Clutterbuck and Casey Cizikas.

Other than fighting, hitting people instead of playing the puck, and generally being bad; what do we need Matt Martin for?

He's completely unneeded.

If Boulton is the healthy scratch out there, I'm going to be sorely upset (and I'm guessing since he hasn't yet been waived, that is the plan).

The players you mentioned are not a physical presence other than CC, and he doesn't really fight...

There is a reason we lose to Philly all the time...

BroadwayJay*

It's truly amazing how MM went to beloved 2 years ago and someone who played a huge part in making the playoffs that year to " He is useless " status. I understand he is not a great hockey player by all means, but, two games in the playoff year that line ( and Martin as the catalyst ) woke the team up. Many posters, fans, and even our announcers looked at that game @ MSG and said that's what turned the season around. Just saying.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=400442665

http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/icetracker?id=2012020191

I'm amused that your username is Matt Martin.

He's a great personality.

Excellent flow.

Great beak (Go dye your hair.).

Throws the body around.

However, on a team this good he has no place. Anders Lee is a far superior player. CalClutta does everything he does, but without the fighting majors (and without the outstanding flow, which is now in short supply with Matt Moulson gone).

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
I am as excited about Lee as anyone but don't see sending him down to start the season as a bad thing. I definitely do not see it as a permanent thing. He can continue to work on his skating and defense and when he comes back up, which he inevitably will probably sooner than later, he will likely be here for good. These things sort themselves out.

It is about roles and the business of hockey and IMHO for the overall good of the team in the long run. Do not want to see him playing 4th line minutes or for us to cut a top 9 player to make room for 10 games of Lee in the early season. I do not see him as a finished product just yet, but hopefully will soon. Someone will inevitably get hurt, play himself out of a spot or get traded. When they do Lee, who will get a ton of minutes at BST will step right in to a top 9 role and maybe with JT/KO.

No need to panic, I fully expect to see him for a good chunk of the year at the coli.

Very excited about this season. Can we drop the puck already?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Matt Martin has a down year and all of the sudden he's useless, meanwhile you continue to defend Matt Donovan who has had two years to make a weak Islanders defense, and has failed both times.

You're a good poster Jay and I respect your opinions, but I'd rather have Anders Lee lighting up the AHL than playing <10 minutes a night on the fourth line. The Islanders really like the Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck fourth line, and Martin is looking for a bounce back year. I just think it's best to let Lee simmer in the AHL while the lineup becomes more clear.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
I agree. Adding Lee to that 4th line would make it go from 'meh' to 'pretty good' really fast.

Martin is gonna have to play his ass off to make me think otherwise, and I like Martin.

BroadwayJay*

The players you mentioned are not a physical presence other than CC, and he doesn't really fight...

There is a reason we lose to Philly all the time...

Philly is not even carrying an enforcer this year. Neither is Toronto.

All of the people I named are willing to throw the body around a bit. None of them does it at the expense of the appropriate hockey play (except perhaps Cizikas).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad