Opening day roster, this year versus last

peg

Jul 8, 2010
I went way back to the first GDT from last year to compare what we might have on the ice this year versus how we started 2014/15.

Last year it was:

Ladd Little Frolik
Kane Scheifele Wheeler
Lowry Perrault Byfuglien
Galiardi Slater Thorburn

Enstrom Bogosian
Stuart Trouba
Clitsome Postma

We will have 5 different forwards on opening night:

Kane
Galiardi
Slater
Frolik
Byfuglien

will be replaced with:

Stafford
Burmistrov
Copp
Ehlers (in all likelihood)
Armia (or Tlusty/Stempniak if either are resigned)

On D we are replacing:

Bogosian
Clitsome
Postma

with:

Byfuglien
Myers
Chiarot

Personally I don't see much of a drop off in the forwards. I would take Stafford over Kane, Copp over Slater, and whoever replaces Galiardi over Galiardi. Replacing Byfuglien and Frolik with Ehlers and Burmistrov may be a bit of a downgrade, for now. Byfuglien never seemed that effective on right wing. Overall we seem okay.

On defence there is absolutely no comparison. I would take Byfuglien, Myers and Chiarot over Bogosian, Clitsome and Postma any day and everyday.

Overall I think we will be icing a stronger team than what we had at the beginning of last year. We also have more and better on the farm to call up when needed and still have the opportunity to add at the trade deadline as we make our playoff push.

Even without Frolik I think everything looks very good for this year.

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Not to mention another year's development from the young guys. Overall I think the team is about the same maybe even better, it really depends on how guys like Ehlers and Armia/whoever is slotted there perform.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I think the Jets add one more bottom 6 before summer is up. I can't wait to see Petan and Ehlers in pre-season, thought they both looked good with the opportunities last year. I really think Petan will turn heads in camp, I know he's likely to start in the AHL but watch out for him in camp.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I see a step backwards at forward position. Defense is slightly better. Goaltending is going to take a step backwards.

Overall regression this season (barring any decent FA signings or trade, July 2nd after all).

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
It's way too hard to say at this point. I don't think they start the season with Byfuglien unsigned. I'd say he's either traded really soon or re-signed really soon.

Goaltending most of all is unpredictable. Pavelec was a story of two extremes last season, as was Hutchinson. Helle might be the difference maker.

You also left out Morrissey. I agree the D is going to be better, especially if Morrissey can bump Stuart to the press box.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
Kane -> Stafford = step back
Frolik -> Burmi = step back
Slater -> Copp = who knows I wouldn't bet on him being an immediate upgrade even as bad as Salter was
Buff -> Ehlers = better in the long but there will be struggles in all likelihood
Clitsome -> Chiarot = probably even if he plays with Buff maybe a slight drop off if not

Likely a decent if not big step back in the goaltending department. Schiefele, Trouba, Lowry, etc. will be better but almost every team has at least a couple top notch young guys they expect to improve.

Overall I think we take a step back next year which is fine, I hope Petan, Ehlers, Copp, Morrissey, etc. all get a chance to play and develop.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I think what we really need to compare is the starting lineup this year compared to the lineup that made the playoff push last year.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I think what we really need to compare is the starting lineup this year compared to the lineup that made the playoff push last year.

Ladd Little Wheeler
Perreault Scheif Staff
Stemp Lowry Frolik
Thor Slater Tlusty

Enstrom Myers
Chiarot Buff
Stu Trouba

Pavs
Hutch

I really don't see much difference TBH. Ehlers and Burmi replace Stemp and Frolik, I think that's a very respectable third line. Our d's are the same. Our depth is good as Armia, Petan and Morrissey are close, and when there are injuries they will fill in nicely.

Im looking forward to that third line TBH!

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
It's close. Goaltending and injuries will be the defining factors whether we squeak into the playoffs. One was better than expected last year (goaltending) one was worse (injuries).

If three prospects get significant time this year, two on the starting roster one call up, I will be sympathetic to missing the post season. Otherwise I would consider it a failed year for Chevy.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
It's close. Goaltending and injuries will be the defining factors whether we squeak into the playoffs. One was better than expected last year (goaltending) one was worse (injuries).

If three prospects get significant time this year, two on the starting roster one call up, I will be sympathetic to missing the post season. Otherwise I would consider it a failed year for Chevy.

If we flip Buff and/or (much less likely, but possible) Ladd for futures, I'll understand missing the playoffs. If we extend both of them and still miss, I see it as a failure.

IMO good organizations bring prospects along without missing a beat. If the team is worse for having them step in, it's a miscalculation on Chevy's part. The Jets have too many of their top players in their primes for a "development" year to not be seen as a waste - Ladd, Little, Wheeler, Perreault, Enstrom and Byfuglien are not getting any better than they are now.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
When I see Stafford & Perreault in a top six that does not feature any elite talent, Mark Stuart on a 2nd pairing, Pavelec as your #1... expectations are not that high. I guess there's no pressure on Chevy to make the playoffs next season. Another year of Ladd, Little, Wheeler, Enstrom, and Byfuglien's primes are poised to be wasted.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
When I see Stafford & Perreault in a top six that does not feature any elite talent, Mark Stuart on a 2nd pairing, Pavelec as your #1... expectations are not that high. I guess there's no pressure on Chevy to make the playoffs next season. Another year of Ladd, Little, Wheeler, Enstrom, and Byfuglien's primes wasted.

That same basic cast and crew made the playoffs last year. ;)

FlyingW

Jun 9, 2013
Winnipeg
When I see Stafford & Perreault in a top six that does not feature any elite talent, Mark Stuart on a 2nd pairing, Pavelec as your #1... expectations are not that high. I guess there's no pressure on Chevy to make the playoffs next season. Another year of Ladd, Little, Wheeler, Enstrom, and Byfuglien's primes to be wasted.
. I remember everyone screaming that Chevy didn't make enough moves last year and it ended up being a nice step forward. I won't judge until Xmas Interested to see the impact a few of the young guys can make.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
When I see Stafford & Perreault in a top six that does not feature any elite talent, Mark Stuart on a 2nd pairing, Pavelec as your #1... expectations are not that high. I guess there's no pressure on Chevy to make the playoffs next season. Another year of Ladd, Little, Wheeler, Enstrom, and Byfuglien's primes to be wasted.

Jacob Trouba + Mark Stuart + Michael Hutchinson
for
Taylor Hall

Mathieu Perreault
for
Cam Talbot + Carl Hagelin

Ondrej Pavelec (50% ret) + 2015 3rd
for
Michael Grabner

Sign Justin Williams, 4 x 4M
Sign Andrej Sekera, 6 x 5.5M

Hall-Little-Wheeler
Ladd-Scheifele-Williams
Hagelin-Lowry-Ehlers
Grabner-Copp-Thorburn

Enstrom-Byfuglien
Sekera-Myers
Chiarot-Postma

Talbot
Hellebuyck

Problems solved.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Jacob Trouba + Mark Stuart + Michael Hutchinson
for
Taylor Hall

Mathieu Perreault
for
Cam Talbot + Carl Hagelin

Ondrej Pavelec (50% ret) + 2015 3rd
for
Michael Grabner

Sign Justin Williams, 4 x 4M
Sign Andrej Sekera, 6 x 5.5M

Hall-Little-Wheeler
Ladd-Scheifele-Williams
Hagelin-Lowry-Ehlers
Grabner-Copp-Thorburn

Enstrom-Byfuglien
Sekera-Myers
Chiarot-Postma

Talbot
Hellebuyck

Problems solved.

I should punch you in the face for even suggesting that.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
I should punch you in the face for even suggesting that.

Hey, I thought about you and acquired a Swede.
AWSAA wanted elite talent in the top6 so I got him some elite talent in the top6.
Perennial cup contender I've built there.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
That same basic cast and crew made the playoffs last year. ;)

Minus:

Lee
Frolik
Jiri

We've added nothing (with the exception of Burmi who was luke warm in the KHL at best, 107 games & 63 points) since then and only lost players. Not arguing just pointing out facts.

Guess Chevy is praying Pavs has another career year, a bad LHD and a very questionable 4th line isn't exposed too badly. Likely praying rookies bust out to fill vacant positions......or maybe one more signing of a bottom 6.

We either will regress (missing playoffs) or multi rookies have very good years or Chevy is forced into a couple trades to try and squeak into playoff chase again. Time will tell....enjoy watching rookies today.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
They should be taking advantage of room under the salary cap while Ladd & Little are underpaid and Scheifs & Trouba are on their ELCs. We've seen just the opposite, they've cut the payroll significantly.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
They should be taking advantage of room under the salary cap while Ladd & Little are underpaid and Scheifs & Trouba are on their ELCs. Instead they've opted to cut the payroll significantly.

Little is gonna be underpaid for another 2 seasons after this one, at least. And I'd be surprised if we don't pump in at least 9 rookies over the next 3 seasons. I wouldn't be worried when it comes to the cap.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Minus:

Lee
Frolik
Jiri

We've added nothing (with the exception of Burmi who was luke warm in the KHL at best, 107 games & 63 points) since then and only lost players. Not arguing just pointing out facts.

"Same basic cast" - doesn't mean it's identical. The verbiage is important.

Guess Chevy is praying Pavs has another career year, a bad LHD and a very questionable 4th line isn't exposed too badly. Likely praying rookies bust out to fill vacant positions......or maybe one more signing of a bottom 6.

We either will regress (missing playoffs) or multi rookies have very good years or Chevy is forced into a couple trades to try and squeak into playoff chase again. Time will tell....enjoy watching rookies today.

I'm sure we'll add another player before TC starts, and I believe you're underselling both the rooks and Burmi.

Your take, my take. We make the PO's again next year. :nod:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
"Same basic cast" - doesn't mean it's identical. The verbiage is important.

I'm sure we'll add another player before TC starts, and I believe you're underselling both the rooks and Burmi.

Your take, my take. We make the PO's again next year. :nod:

With only 1 rookie in the top 9 I don't think the risk of regression is too high because of that. That 1 rookie may well be an upgrade right off the bat. Our D should be better. I'm not certain it will be because I'm not confident in some of the decisions that will be made. But even at worst it should be better because we are not likely to have such a bad injury problem again. That leaves the 4th line and goaltending. We could end up with last year's 4th again or an all rookie 1 or something in between. I don't think we are going to sign another FA unless it is Slater. It is the 4th of July and there is no sign of any attempt to sign any of the several good ones available. So with no good FA I would hope for the all rookie 4th line.

That leaves goaltending. That is the big unknown. Same story as every year. If we get league average we make the POs and not if we don't. Lots of fans were saying that for a couple of years. I will take last year as proof that is correct.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
With only 1 rookie in the top 9 I don't think the risk of regression is too high because of that. That 1 rookie may well be an upgrade right off the bat. Our D should be better. I'm not certain it will be because I'm not confident in some of the decisions that will be made. But even at worst it should be better because we are not likely to have such a bad injury problem again. That leaves the 4th line and goaltending. We could end up with last year's 4th again or an all rookie 1 or something in between. I don't think we are going to sign another FA unless it is Slater. It is the 4th of July and there is no sign of any attempt to sign any of the several good ones available. So with no good FA I would hope for the all rookie 4th line.

That leaves goaltending. That is the big unknown. Same story as every year. If we get league average we make the POs and not if we don't. Lots of fans were saying that for a couple of years. I will take last year as proof that is correct.

Agreed on all your points, Mort, and especially so regarding the goaltending. I think the Forward crew is a wash to slightly worse (though it could be better if Burmi can match Frolik, we pick up one more bottom 6 player to displace one of Peluso or Thorbs, and a rookie or two steps up), and the Defense is better. Overall, a wash.

Goaltending: that'll be the key.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
If we flip Buff and/or (much less likely, but possible) Ladd for futures, I'll understand missing the playoffs. If we extend both of them and still miss, I see it as a failure.
I get that.

IMO good organizations bring prospects along without missing a beat. If the team is worse for having them step in, it's a miscalculation on Chevy's part. The Jets have too many of their top players in their primes for a "development" year to not be seen as a waste - Ladd, Little, Wheeler, Perreault, Enstrom and Byfuglien are not getting any better than they are now.
The problem is we did not inherit a good organization, or at least not a good team. What is good about this organization is our D&D plan. That is finally coming to fruition over the last couple years. But there are some costs to the transition and this year's post season may be one if we go heavy on rookies.

There has always been tension between supporting the Atlanta core, and the D&D plan. I think it's harder than you're giving credit for, and Chevy has done a reasonable job walking the line between the two. You're right the clock is ticking, but maybe that reinforces the plan to use this as a development year, so we can see the best of old and new in a playoff run before the sand runs out.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
Ideal line up for the season opener:

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Perreault - Scheifele - Stafford
Ehlers - Burmistrov - UFA or Armia
Thorburn - Lowry - UFA

Enstrom - Myers
Morrissey - Trouba
Stuart - Byfuglien

Pavelec
Hutchinson

Pressbox: Peluso, Halischuk, Chiarot, Harrison, Clitsome

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
It's way too hard to say at this point. I don't think they start the season with Byfuglien unsigned. I'd say he's either traded really soon or re-signed really soon.

Goaltending most of all is unpredictable. Pavelec was a story of two extremes last season, as was Hutchinson. Helle might be the difference maker.

You also left out Morrissey. I agree the D is going to be better, especially if Morrissey can bump Stuart to the press box.

Until Stuart gets stripped of his "A", I doubt he'll ever be a healthy scratch. If Morrisey makes the cut he'll be bumping Chiarot to the box & forcing a LD trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad