WJC: Open Letter to the hockey elite

Kajoo72

Dec 29, 2021
Bratislava
I like any letter that craps on Ken Campbell. Don't worry little hockey nations, the good guys like Ken Campbell will tell you what you need and protect you from big, bad losses.
I don’t get this this elitist attitude of some Canadians in regard to hockey, after all World has already experienced parallel situation with Brits & soccer. In 1930s FIFA launched World Cups but Britons refused to participate since they considered themselves class of their own. Later in 1950s they got humbled by mighty Hungarians who put them to their place and they finally accepted they aren’t supreme leaders anymore. Soviets served Canada several humble pies but Canadians, unlike Britons, seems to never learn.

Reactions: BMann

Kajoo72

Dec 29, 2021
Bratislava
When I was growing up, football (e.g. grid iron NFL / CFL style) was quite popular among boys my age.

Now, a lot of parents my age are strongly steering kids away due to the perceived concussion risk.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the more physically combative sports, including rugby and lacrosse.

I love tennis btw. One of the few two person sports out there. Squash too although I suck.
Don’t want my daughters to play soccer. One play tennis, fell in love it, too

Kajoo72

Dec 29, 2021
Bratislava
If World Cup cared about best teams they would increase the spots Europe has and lower the other continents. For a long time now most people who follow intensively football think Euros is higher quality than World Cup.
Indeeed. Good post and great parallel.

Frederik95

Oct 19, 2019
Threads like this show how *small* international hockey really is.
It is, but it's on the rise and in my opinion, the best way to keep the growth of hockey going so it might one day have a more... worldwide following is by giving teams a chance to get more exposure and development of the hockey program by having them learn from the best which is Canada without a shadow of a doubt

Frederik95

Oct 19, 2019
Hopefully people will read the letter. It is something that I have been saying for years about growing the game--

For years Germany and the Swiss were also rands but after getting more and more exposure they are developing really good talent. How come? They learned from getting the asses handed to them for nearly 1o years.

When the NHL had their little cup and had team Europe and team prospects? That showed how the NHL and North America had no idea about growing the game.

But, when it comes to Canadians and international hockey---whenever Canada does not win? how often do we see the following post.. "Why did we even send a team"?

When it comes to growing the game, the IIHF has done a lot more than the NHL and those who think they know hockey
Thank you and im glad you liked it. I dont know who... is the main developer of hockey and honestly i dont think it matters. What really matters is finding a way to get more countries to grow the game and like you said, we have clear examples from Germany and Switzerland to show that exposure does work in terms of development

Reactions: BMann

Frederik95

Oct 19, 2019
This is why Canada and another 120 extra nations are allowed the World Cup of soccer.

Oh wait, they only let the best teams in because people don't want to watch garbage teams get destroyed.

If anything, it should be a six-team tournament. Why should I care if hockey grows in Austria? I don't own shares in a company called 'hockey'.
I'm pretty sure i specifically mentioned that there shouldn't be too many teams in the WJC. Like I stated in it, a spot has to be earned and the level between the eight best nation in the world and the 12th best arent too great so I do feel it's valid to claim that it wouldn't allow for weaker competition as we see today.

The suggestion of 6 teams I'm a little bit surprised about tho. That would leave out Germany, Slovakia, Switzerland, Austria and so on. Meaning that USA, Canada, Czechia, Sweden, Finland and Russia would be left. True that is the elite nations, but what about relegation? Someone would have to go down for a much-weakened team, due to how little exposure and development the smaller nations would have gotten, the following year, before the "ideal order" is reestablished. Do you want to stop relegation and block entry for Germany or Switzerland and further make it into a super league for just classic six? That to me seems like the worst way to develop the game. On both a national side and NHL side of things. Remember how many Germans, Swiss, Danish and Slovakian stars are in the NHL. This only happens if the development of hockey programs in other countries are working and able to be seen.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
This is why Canada and another 120 extra nations are allowed the World Cup of soccer.

Oh wait, they only let the best teams in because people don't want to watch garbage teams get destroyed.

If anything, it should be a six-team tournament. Why should I care if hockey grows in Austria? I don't own shares in a company called 'hockey'.

I have no problem with the premise of the OP's article although I do agree that blowout games are difficult to watch and on that day it doesn't help anyone.

10 teams for the WJHC is fine, 12 would be too many right now as borderline teams are okay if it's a couple but would suck if it's a 1/4 of the teams.

Part of the problem is the focus on elite development by the top hockey nations and the large gap between them and the next level, much like the problem in woman's soccer.

Reactions: Frederik95

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Last year I wrote a letter to the Canadian hockey fans, to offer a slightly different perspective in the debates of whatever the blowouts in the World juniors are helping the smaller nations. After the game between Canada and Austria, a few people have once again suggested that blowouts like that shouldn't be happening and that ten teams might be too many for the World Juniors. This is a direct response to those saying that the competitiveness or lack of it from the smaller hockey nations is hurting the World Juniors and hockey in general from someone from a smaller hockey. The games help us develop and grow hockey. Even in a blowout, it helps us get better.

An Open Letter To The Hockey Elite

In an ideal world you could have a U20 Champions style league where a Canada US, Sweden, Finland and Russia B squad from their Summer Showcases participate in a qualifyer in the summer for the A Group where the two teams with best over all record from amongst CR , Slovakia, Switzerland, Germany, Denmark, and Austria auto qualify and any other team with a .500 record against the Big 5 Teams or positive goal differential against Big 5 qualifies?
So say 15 games for the non B5 in total possibly developing more chemistry and more confidence?

That way these teams play the Big 5 top 46 players more than once in a year (WJC U20 included) and you get a better gage for whose development model is better and maybe will be adopted by other countries.

IMO they need more competition against the Big 5.

Reactions: Frederik95

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Absolutely disagree. IIHF worlds were won by 8 countries total, not counting yet USSR & Czechoslovakia, otherwise 10. FIFA World Cup in soccer has 7 winners in much wider field.

The worlds are also rarely a "best on best" tournament and comparing soccer to hockey is like comparing apples to grapes, they are both fruits/sports but completely different on so many levels, especially on the international scene.

chauron

Jan 5, 2014
Well, maybe Canadians know more about their own country than you do.

This article dates back to 2014 - I suspect it's only increased since then. What's embarrassing is how bad at it we are until very recently.

Soccer vs. hockey: Who plays what in Canada

MacBlog_Soccer_new.jpg
Soccer aka football is so accessible and well paid profession, no wonder if so many play it and aim to become pros.

chauron

Jan 5, 2014
Absolutely disagree. IIHF worlds were won by 8 countries total, not counting yet USSR & Czechoslovakia, otherwise 10. FIFA World Cup in soccer has 7 winners in much wider field.
There’s nearly 12 countries if soccer that could take the world title, while ice hockey has like 3-4 countries who are top contenders. Sports is usually won by a single country, Canada. Soccer is so much more bigger sport it’s hard to understand.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Soccer aka football is so accessible and well paid profession, no wonder if so many play it and aim to become pros.

So few Canadians have ended up as professionals that it’s hard to believe that it was a real incentive.

One interesting incentive is the lure of the NCAA and athletic scholarships.

I know a lot of girls who pursued soccer with their parents’ blessing for that purpose.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Kajoo72

Dec 29, 2021
Bratislava
There’s nearly 12 countries if soccer that could take the world title, while ice hockey has like 3-4 countries who are top contenders. Sports is usually won by a single country, Canada. Soccer is so much more bigger sport it’s hard to understand.
Very true, many countries considered a big soccer nations that have never won World Cup - Hungary (for 50 years dominating force), Austria between 1930-60, Netherlands since early 70s onwards, post-War Sweden USSR/Russia, Yugoslavia, Portugal, CzechoSlovakia etc

Last edited:

Frederik95

Oct 19, 2019
In an ideal world you could have a U20 Champions style league where a Canada US, Sweden, Finland and Russia B squad from their Summer Showcases participate in a qualifyer in the summer for the A Group where the two teams with best overall record from amongst CR , Slovakia, Switzerland, Germany, Denmark, and Austria auto qualify and any other team with a .500 record against the Big 5 Teams or positive goal differential against Big 5 qualifies?
So say 15 games for the non B5 in total possibly developing more chemistry and more confidence?

That way these teams play the Big 5 top 46 players more than once in a year (WJC U20 included) and you get a better gage for whose development model is better and maybe will be adopted by other countries.

IMO they need more competition against the Big 5.
I do agree that in an ideal world that would work wonders, but the issue is that the B5 or 6 simply are too great for anyone outside the top 6. I dont think any of them would either have a positive record or goal differential against the big five for the final 2 spots. However i do like the idea since it would give a chance for the teams to play the best teams and players to gage that development and learn from them. Especially if those games can be hyped up properly, which they absolutely could be.

I think the foundation is interesting and could work. To futher develop it, an idea could be that could be to have the top 4 from the qualifying group (with goal differcial overall as the tiebreaker) joining the WJC with top 6 of last world juniors. The rest who didnt make it goes into the B group to play to avoid relegation and so on and to qualify for next summer showcase or qualifying games for the Juniors or whatever the tournament would be called.

Also i do think it can be hyped up well since it would be a chance to see the teams going to potentially go to the WJC. Hype it up right and it would help growth as well for more countries will keeping a competative nature.

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

Kajoo72

Dec 29, 2021
Bratislava
The worlds are also rarely a "best on best" tournament and comparing soccer to hockey is like comparing apples to grapes, they are both fruits/sports but completely different on so many levels, especially on the international scene.
Maybe not a fair comparison, hockey worlds takes place annually while soccer World Cup once in 4 years. But since I know little to nothing about other sports can’t really do other comparison. Maybe some cricket/rugby/whatever freak can join the chat. However fluke that comparison might sound, fact is that ice hockey with its limitations and low global appeal has as many gold winners at worlds than soccer. Hockey is competitive enough for a winter sport imo.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
When I was growing up, football (e.g. grid iron NFL / CFL style) was quite popular among boys my age.

Now, a lot of parents my age are strongly steering kids away due to the perceived concussion risk.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the more physically combative sports, including rugby and lacrosse.

I love tennis btw. One of the few two person sports out there. Squash too although I suck.

One would think Canadians would accel at squash. Gords and all that.

Magicman

Mar 18, 2008
I don’t get this this elitist attitude of some Canadians in regard to hockey, after all World has already experienced parallel situation with Brits & soccer. In 1930s FIFA launched World Cups but Britons refused to participate since they considered themselves class of their own. Later in 1950s they got humbled by mighty Hungarians who put them to their place and they finally accepted they aren’t supreme leaders anymore. Soviets served Canada several humble pies but Canadians, unlike Britons, seems to never learn.

In best on best tournaments, the ones where the best pros have played for their country, not amateurs or the WHA.
72-Canada win
76-Canada win
81-Soviet win
84-Canada win
87-Canada win
91-Canada win
96-US win
98-Czech win
02-Canada win
04-Canada win
06-Sweden win
10-Canada win
14-Canada win
16-Canada win

Kajoo72

Dec 29, 2021
Bratislava
In best on best tournaments, the ones where the best pros have played for their country, not amateurs or the WHA.
72-Canada win
76-Canada win
81-Soviet win
84-Canada win
87-Canada win
91-Canada win
96-US win
98-Czech win
02-Canada win
04-Canada win
06-Sweden win
10-Canada win
14-Canada win
16-Canada win
5 winners in 50 years, cool. At one time, Germany was such dominant Force in soccer that Englands great Gary Lineker said: football is a simple game: 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and, in the end, the Germans always win," Never heard Germans complaining about lack of competition, or trying to reduce international competitions because they are bored to play vs lesser competition. Ever heard about European Superleague fiasco ?

Last edited:

Jan 21, 2018
Last year I wrote a letter to the Canadian hockey fans, to offer a slightly different perspective in the debates of whatever the blowouts in the World juniors are helping the smaller nations. After the game between Canada and Austria, a few people have once again suggested that blowouts like that shouldn't be happening and that ten teams might be too many for the World Juniors. This is a direct response to those saying that the competitiveness or lack of it from the smaller hockey nations is hurting the World Juniors and hockey in general from someone from a smaller hockey. The games help us develop and grow hockey. Even in a blowout, it helps us get better.

An Open Letter To The Hockey Elite

Here is last year’s thread: WJC: - Open Letter To Canadian Hockey Fans

Basically, OP saw a random comment that someone was upset and decided to call out all of canada in a cringey letter.

Apparently last year’s thread wasn’t enough indication to OP that the large majority of Canadian hockey fans do not share this opinion. It’s a deliberate attempt to generalize an entire country just to gain some extra views from readers.

OP has barely contributed to this forum since the previous version of this thread he made last year, so it’s quite clear that he’s just using this site to promote his click bait article.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad