OOT Scoreboard 2023-24 playoffs

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
I was just thinking back in the 3rd period and first OT about their history and how Pete has a chance at ending Zach’s career tonight.

I’ve also been thinking about the Parise/Suter thing and them ending the other’s career, but I think Suter is signed next year. Zach isn’t.

I don’t hate Zach. I’m over it. But I don’t care much either.

If he really wants to play, he can probably get a one year deal on some halfway decent team. Lou would probably take him back over there again lol.

But he’s gonna have to start the season out of camp. It’s gotta be hard training an entire summer, fall and half the winter at 40 years old before debuting in February two years in a row.

I suspect this is it for him though.
Didn’t he already announce before the playoffs that this is definitely his last season?

Reactions: PizzaAndPucks

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
f*** Zach Parise.
Nah...he was one of the best forwards to ever play here. He gave us his best years and he was smart to move on from an organization that was falling apart.

No hate for Zach. I really don't have much hate for anyone that has moved on except for Niedermayer. I honestly believe we could've won another Cup after the lockout if Scott stayed...but whatever time heals and those guys were fantastic here...So I appreciate what they gave while they were here.

Reactions: Patrik26

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
For all the people upset the Devils didn't get Berube, Sutter was pretty much the same coach.
i actually think this is a misunderstanding of what kind of coach Berube is. He has high expectations but he’s not a hot head and he’s not a “defense above all else” guy, but maybe i’m also misremembering Sutter. I don’t know if Berube was the right guy for the Devils but i think he’s gonna make a huge difference in year one with the Leafs.

There’s a really good piece from Rutherford in the athletic about what kind of coach he was with the Blues and where some of the misconceptions about him came from (which of course didn’t come out til after the Leafs hired him, i’m sure that’s a coincidence). It sounds like the main things he did with the Blues were improving communication and helping them regain their confidence, and if (MASSIVE if) he can manage that in the Toronto media ecosystem, it’s gonna payoff big time. At least in the short term.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Nah...he was one of the best forwards to ever play here. He gave us his best years and he was smart to move on from an organization that was falling apart.

No hate for Zach. I really don't have much hate for anyone that has moved on except for Niedermayer. I honestly believe we could've won another Cup after the lockout if Scott stayed...but whatever time heals and those guys were fantastic here...So I appreciate what they gave while they were here.
The contract offer to Parise was so flimsy, the franchise wasn't really on solid financial ground at the time and the offer to him showed that.

If our current ownership was in place in 2012, I think he would have resigned.

Reactions: My3Sons and JimEIV

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK

Did I stutter?

For someone who shits on Kovalchuk as much as you, it's laughable that you would defend this guy.

Both of them were perennial losers who took as much money as they possibly could. f*** them.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
The contract offer to Parise was so flimsy, the franchise wasn't really on solid financial ground at the time and the offer to him showed that.
Parise never lived up to his Wild contract and it basically hamstrung him and the teams he played on for the rest of his career.

I cant fault him for jumping ship when he did, but the way he left will never sit right with me. Engineering the double signing of him and Suter for two massive contracts that were obviously going to get bought out made me feel like his reputation as a “team first guy” was unfounded. And he obviously thought he was still a superstar when it was clear even with his last couple years on the Devils that those days had past him by.

I’m glad he got paid and i’m glad he got to go back to his family but i don’t miss him and i don’t feel even a little bit bad that he never won a cup.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

If our current ownership was in place in 2012, I think he would have resigned.
Possibly, but would it even have been a good thing judging by what happened in Minnesota? People complain about Cory costing us in our rebuild when we still won three lotteries, imagine how long and brutal purgatory would have been if we remained a borderline bubble team for the next few years?

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Possibly, but would it even have been a good thing judging by what happened in Minnesota? People complain about Cory costing us in our rebuild when we still won three lotteries, imagine how long purgatory would have been if we remained a borderline bubble team for the next few years?
I'm just stating the reality of the situation at the time, not advocating one way or the other.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Stats wise he kind of did. The Wild never got the NJD version of Zach Parise. I take some solice in that.
View attachment 872822

I suppose but he did have some 50-60 pts years there (and I think 50-60 pts pace too in other years but i'm too lazy to calculate) and tbh I think that's more what his realistic avg production really was. The 80-90 pts years he had here was just really good years (was just 2) with very good chemistry that happened to caught fire.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I suppose but he did have some 50-60 pts years there (and I think 50-60 pts pace too in other years but i'm too lazy to calculate) and tbh I think that's more what his realistic avg production really was. The 80-90 pts years he had here was just really good years (was just 2) with very good chemistry that happened to caught fire.
Well the 80-90 point seasons did also happen before his injury. He wasn't 'great' his year back with us, never even passed 70 points again after the injury let alone 80-90.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
There’s a really good piece from Rutherford in the athletic about what kind of coach he was with the Blues and where some of the misconceptions about him came from (which of course didn’t come out til after the Leafs hired him, i’m sure that’s a coincidence). It sounds like the main things he did with the Blues were improving communication and helping them regain their confidence, and if (MASSIVE if) he can manage that in the Toronto media ecosystem, it’s gonna payoff big time. At least in the short term.

Idk, I think a few of us knew this. While there were some overblown reactions about how he's just a yeller, few of us raised concerns about how he wouldn't help much here because this team currently is too flawed in the fundamentals and structure and Berube doesn't really help there.

Reactions: Hockey Sports Fan

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Yeah but he ruined Eric Gelinas sooooooooooooooo :sarcasm:
Across the NHL as a whole, I think this sort of accusation gets thrown around a little too casually. But i legitimately think Deboer ruined Larsson and Gelinas as prospects.

This season is a real sign to me that’s he’s grown as a coach, because he had the same issues the last couple years in Dallas. He was overly reliant on Suter, he didn’t trust Harley, and he definitely didn’t trust Nils Lundqvist. But this season he’s let Harley run loose, he dropped Suter down to where he’s more effective, and Lundqvist is still playing every night (i think?) despite some glaring defensive mistakes. The Tanev acquisition was brilliant too, that’s a Deboer player if there’s ever been one.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Across the NHL as a whole, I think this sort of accusation gets thrown around a little too casually. But i legitimately think Deboer ruined Larsson and Gelinas as prospects.

This season is a real sign to me that’s he’s grown as a coach, because he had the same issues the last couple years in Dallas. He was overly reliant on Suter, he didn’t trust Harley, and he definitely didn’t trust Nils Lundqvist. But this season he’s let Harley run loose, he dropped Suter down to where he’s more effective, and Lundqvist is still playing every night (i think?) despite some glaring defensive mistakes. The Tanev acquisition was brilliant too, that’s a Deboer player if there’s ever been one.

The "he's not good with young players" seems a bit overblown I think too. Wyatt Johnston proves that. To an extent, Stankoven as well.

Reactions: Guttersniped

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Every coach who's trying to win gets tagged with they don't trust young players enough...here and elsewhere. The only coach we've had here recently who trusted young players was Hynes, when he ONLY HAD young players and we weren't a win-now team.

Lemaire - it was Tedenby, etc
Pete - it was Larsson, etc
Lindy - it was Holtz, etc

This isn't exclusive to us though, not by a longshot. Coaches who are trying to win are gonna be harder on younger players and overplay vets (Pete with Harrold, Lindy with Smith, etc).

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Every coach who's trying to win gets tagged with they don't trust young players enough...here and elsewhere. The only coach we've had here recently who trusted young players was Hynes, when he ONLY HAD young players and we weren't a win-now team.

Lemaire - it was Tedenby, etc
Pete - it was Larsson, etc
Lindy - it was Holtz, etc

This isn't exclusive to us though, not by a longshot. Coaches who are trying to win are gonna be harder on younger players and overplay vets (Pete with Harrold, Lindy with Smith, etc).

That’s true, but the Larsson thing was the most difficult one to understand. Larsson would play a great game and be benched for 3 games after for no reason.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
And to be fair Lindy kind of was forced to trust younger players his first couple years here when we were still rebuilding. It was when we became a win-now team the last two years that the criticisms started with Holtz, the Finnish defenseman this year, etc not getting a fair shake.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad