OOT Scoreboard 2023-24 playoffs

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

50 seconds in is a good view of it. Went blocker side, the glove waive I think is Saros hoping he can make a behind the head glove save?

This to me looks like a small goalie problem. Stop the vid at the 54 sec mark. He is giving up a ton of space up top.

100%, he has to overplay angles because of his height in the league. These guys face monsters in net but then they face a guy like Saros who is all athleticism but way shorter so they pick corners on Saros.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I still think Markstrom is the smartest option probably with how they play, he's elite 5v5 and won't cost the 10th overall which I still think this roster needs to use it on itself instead of an outside player. And yes, I agree for the most part but it's still the last position I'd go all in on. That being said, I think the Devils have no chance to do that after the year they had. No coach worth their name will come here if they see the shit options in net.

The dreaded reverse VH. The former goalie in me has a spaz attack whenever I see it in the NHL, the butterfly has killed the position so much since goalies are always playing the bottom part of the ice on every shot.

He was down on his knees and couldn’t get up in time. Shot went over his shoulder.

50 seconds in is a good view of it. Went blocker side, the glove waive I think is Saros hoping he can make a behind the head glove save?

This to me looks like a small goalie problem. Stop the vid at the 54 sec mark. He is giving up a ton of space up top.

Yeah the wave at it with his glove was the funny part. I was asleep when I first saw it. So I couldn’t remember if he just moved his glove and didn’t get it until I watched it again.

It looked like he tried a desperation save or something with his glove after it was already about to go by him and he realized he wasn’t gonna get it. Or he tries to use his glove out of reaction but his glove was almost in the net.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Side note on the Zadarov goal, but that probably earned him an additional $1mil per season on the contract he signs this summer.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
if the islanders dont want to start sorokin then louis should trade him over to us
I'm sure he's right back to being the starter again next year and this whole ordeal with Varlamov taking his job is all forgotten about.

That main board trade proposal thread of PLD for Sorokin is brutal. I think LA would LOVE to do that deal. The Islanders really wouldn't.

Even with the meh season (where Sorokin still broke above even on most models) he still had a better year adjusted for position than PLD and he's also a better player at his position than PLD has ever been at his.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I don't like Saros much. He is the most prime candidate to fall off a cliff of the guys that have been in the discussion. His next deal is going to be regrettable very quickly imo. I'd rather Markstrom, and I'm not a big fan of his either.

Reactions: My3Sons

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
Saw a comment on the main board complaining about Zacha having 0 goals in the playoffs. Always seemed like the type of guy to disappear when it got tough.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Starting Hill may be an all time own goal.
Oettinger is already helping keep them in it.

Hill was a one hit wonder. They should have stayed with Thompson, unless he really started getting killed.

''Any goalie can get hot in the playoffs and win the cup'' is true.

It just doesn't happen to the same rando, no name goalie TWO times hardly ever, IF EVER at all.

Even Matt Murray (who was probably going to be significantly better than Hill if he weren't a chronic injury case, Hill is also an injury case) only started half the playoffs the second time he won the cup.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Stankoven is everywhere.
IMG_5548.jpeg

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Stankoven is everywhere.
Devils should draft drivers over role players. When we are talking about high profile players - its more complicated. But when we talk about second - seventh round - Devils should rethink their forward draft strategy. At all. Ceiling over floor. After four drafts of Fitz we have only one forward from second round or later with some NHL potential. Its Lenny from 2nd round of previous draft. May be Squires is something. Other players are behind the wall they need to turn the corner with some key aspects of their development to have some nhl potential. But I would prefer player with high iq and skating over player with shot and height or physics. There are a lot of role players for cheap on the market, they are cheaper in trades. Even good role player like Coleman is cheaper than top 6 driver. Having Stankoven is priceless. Drafting role player Stillman was bad decision. Its not a huge mistake but having Morrow or Stankoven would benefit this organisation a lot.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Hellebuyck is a world-class goalie, this doesn't change that. What it does show, however, is that the playoffs are always a crap shoot. An average goalie can get hot in a small sample size, and an elite goalie can poop the bed just as easily.

You always want to go in with the best goalie in the series, but if you leave him out to dry more often than not and just can't match the opponent's skating and level of chances, then it will likely not make a difference.

This just continues to prove there is no sure thing in net these days. The team style of play and structure makes a bigger difference these days in my eyes. The speed of the game is just on another level compared to when there were more than just 2 or 3 goalies you could consider elite.
I’m sorry if an over the top fan or two show up to demand NJ offers a first and Mercer and something else I don’t care how good your goalie is, when he has a bad game he’s a sieve.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad