OOT Scoreboard 2023-24 playoffs

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Imagine if we gave Helle a massive deal only to squeak out a 7-6 victory in a playoff game. I doubt we would be feeling great about it. Goalies are such voodoo.
how did running schmid/vitek out there in the playoffs work out for us two years ago

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Land of Hope & Cups.
It’s probably longest timeframe between goals in playoffs. If they framed it as a “drought” it doesn’t make sense, that’s a term almost unanimously used to refer to when a player has gone many games played without scoring. That would be like saying Dougie’s first goal next season is going to end a 9 month drought ignoring that he didn’t actually play games in that time frame.
IMG_3252.png

Camille the Eel

Stone with a goal and 17mins of ice time. pretty impressive for ltir
It’s weird how completely different they look as a team with and without Stone. I can hardly think of another example of one player who seems to make such a difference to how a club performs - apart from super players like Gretzky, Orr, Lemieux, McDavid, whose presence changes a team’s entire dynamic quality.

But Stone isn’t someone of their dynamic skills. Yet he makes nearly that much difference to their play.

This is very like last year’s scenario when again he returned from LTIR to juice them.

Dallas came out flat and unfocused last night. You can’t spot Vegas a two goal lead and expect to win.

Reactions: Dialamo and My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
It’s weird how completely different they look as a team with and without Stone. I can hardly think of another example of one player who seems to make such a difference to how a club performs - apart from super players like Gretzky, Orr, Lemieux, McDavid, whose presence changes a team’s entire dynamic quality.

But Stone isn’t someone of their dynamic skills. Yet he makes nearly that much difference to their play.

This is very like last year’s scenario when again he returned from LTIR to juice them.

Dallas came out flat and unfocused last night. You can’t spot Vegas a two goal lead and expect to win.
When he finally shows up the rest of the team knows they have gamed the system and it's time to try. I noticed that last night the ESPN broadcast acknowledged the controversy without taking sides. That alone is somewhat of a big deal in my view.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Talk of Vegas pushing the limits on LTIR and medical honesty with checking medical records on NHL on XM this morning.

Just put a salary cap in place for the rosters in the playoffs and be done with this. Make it you can't ice a starting lineup over $X regardless. Then the Coach/GM get to play who to sit out if all the LTIR guys come back for game 1 of the playoffs.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Talk of Vegas pushing the limits on LTIR and medical honesty with checking medical records on NHL on XM this morning.

Just put a salary cap in place for the rosters in the playoffs and be done with this. Make it you can't ice a starting lineup over $X regardless. Then the Coach/GM get to play who to sit out if all the LTIR guys come back for game 1 of the playoffs.

Never going to happen under Bettman.

Gary Bettman trumpets success of Vegas Golden Knights​

1713890691630.png

Last edited:

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Vegas / Rags Cup Final for shits and giggles. Would you want to see Vegas win again? Or would you rather see Rempe plow Stone into the boards and knock him out of the SCF with the Rags winning the Cup? And NO, there isn't a third choice. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Dialamo

Dialamo

Fire Rogalski Hire Pepe
Jul 7, 2007
Montreal, QC, Canada
Vegas / Rags Cup Final for shits and giggles. Would you want to see Vegas win again? Or would you rather see Rempe plow Stone into the boards and knock him out of the SCF with the Rags winning the Cup? And NO, there isn't a third choice. ;)
Vegas easy choice. Don't care too much about their LTIR schemes. I'll still make jokes about it though. That's the leagues fault for not fixing the loopholes earlier.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I’m probably one of the very few that doesn’t give a shit if the Rangers win the cup. I’d root against them, but I’m more worried about what’s going on with our team.

I’m more pissed that we still haven’t become a consistent playoff team than the fact the Rangers could win the cup.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Honesty about medical records?

Stone had a lacerated spleen on February 20.

Sorry he didn’t hussle back sooner from that to make everyone feel better but that’s not something he should have rushed back from to make randos feel better about LTIR.

The salary cap doesn’t work or make sense for the playoffs because of how it’s calculated.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Do you think this is remotely a difficult choice?

Seriously, what is wrong with you that you think seeing Mark Stone injured and the Rangers winning the Cup is something any decent person would ever want to see?

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Do you think this is remotely a difficult choice?

Seriously, what is wrong with you that you think seeing Mark Stone injured and the Rangers winning the Cup is something any decent person would ever want to see?

I'd root for the gates of hell opening up and swallowing me whole than ever see NYR lift the Cup, at the very least I want our core to win one beforehand and then one after so we can laugh at them

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
Honesty about medical records?

Stone had a lacerated spleen on February 20.

Sorry he didn’t hussle back sooner from that to make everyone feel better but that’s not something he should have rushed back from to make randos feel better about LTIR.

The salary cap doesn’t work or make sense for the playoffs because of how it’s calculated.
yeah but he played 17 minutes last night - he was obviously good enough to go last week or the week before or who knows? that’s the shenanigans part, because if they went by his actual timeline they wouldn’t have been able to add someone like hertl at the deadline.

no ones saying he wasn’t injured. but it just happens to be convenient that he’s all of the sudden good enough to log the second most forward minutes in the first game back being “eased in”, but missed just enough time to let them add another $8m player at the deadline and fit it under the cap.

and i agree it doesn’t make sense for the playoffs - but if he wasn’t good enough for game 82 they he should be allowed to explode the cap hit of their round 1 playoff matchup. it also sucks for dallas who won the west but gets the play a roster that’s way better than the one that finished 8th

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I find the idea that Vegas doesn't force their players to play hurt or hurry back from injury at risk to their on-ice results and sometimes get rewarded for it to be far more aspirational than infuriating.
yeah but he played 17 minutes last night - he was obviously good enough to go last week or the week before or who knows? that’s the shenanigans part, because if they went by his actual timeline they wouldn’t have been able to add someone like hertl at the deadline.

no ones saying he wasn’t injured. but it just happens to be convenient that he’s all of the sudden good enough to log the second most forward minutes in the first game back being “eased in”, but missed just enough time to let them add another $8m player at the deadline and fit it under the cap.

and i agree it doesn’t make sense for the playoffs - but if he wasn’t good enough for game 82 they he should be allowed to explode the cap hit of their round 1 playoff matchup. it also sucks for dallas who won the west but gets the play a roster that’s way better than the one that finished 8th
It was mentioned in here earlier, but their dressed roster last night had a total cap hit of $84,248,317, less than $800k over the cap. Maybe they would have had to lose someone on waivers or give up on trading for Mantha, but I think they could have made it work either way. They might have had to pay someone to take Martinez but that wouldn't have been a hangup for adding Hertl.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad