OOT Scoreboard 2023-24 playoffs

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Tired: This is Edmonton’s year.

Wired: Oilers deserve to lose for RNH’s facial hair.
Fired:
IMG_5857.png

Hired:
IMG_5860.jpeg

Inspired:
IMG_0978.jpeg

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
The Canucks bottom 6 has been bad at putting up points this playoffs so far outside of Joshua. Lafferty , Mikheyev , Bleuger & Hoglander all combined have 0 goals. Their defense has been chipping in putting up points though. Zadarov alone has like 4 goals. Gotta think he is going to get big interest as a free agent this summer with how good he has been so far.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It’s insane just how consistently disappointing teams like Toronto, Edmonton, and Carolina are in the playoffs.
There are always a few teams who fit that description. San Jose was that team for years before at least getting to a Cup Final. The Caps were before finally winning a Cup. Ottawa in the late 90's-early 2000's. St. Louis made the playoffs, what 24 straight years at one point and had to bottom out and rebuild before winning (and even then took a while through the Hitchcock years to get there). One would think that one of those teams you mentioned will eventually break through but sometimes it takes a while, and sometimes all you get is one shot like the Sharks in 2016 or Ottawa in 2007. Hell, even the Blues and Caps haven't gotten close again since winning.

Camille the Eel

It's time for the NHL to make all penalty calls in the playoffs reviewable by video or perhaps in Toronto. In every game I'm watching, poor calls by the referees are playing far to crucial a role.

In Edmonton, there were two cross checking calls in the mid second period that were absolute trash and the second one, I think it was on Nurse, led to the game winning goal. Both were extremely marginal and the call on Nurse would have been overturned on any reasonable review. There was simply no cross check at all on the play. Vancouver had a one goal lead at the time and Edmonton was dominating. On the ensuing power play, Lindholm scores within a few seconds and it's a two goal lead again. It's the end of the period. The momentum of the game got changed on a call that should never have been made and that couldn't withstand a 5 second look at video. The third period would have been played very differently if it had started as a one goal and not a two goal game.

In Baseball it was impressive how the league finally bit the bullet last year and put a timer on the pitchers and dealt with a long standing abuse by implementing a new rule and changing the game for the better. In the NHL it's time to deal with blatantly wrong power play calls. Review of major penalties has been a success, avoiding a number of horrific miss calls. Allowing the refs to review bad calls such as the call on Nurse should be a no brainer.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
There are always a few teams who fit that description. San Jose was that team for years before at least getting to a Cup Final. The Caps were before finally winning a Cup. Ottawa in the late 90's-early 2000's. St. Louis made the playoffs, what 24 straight years at one point and had to bottom out and rebuild before winning (and even then took a while through the Hitchcock years to get there). One would think that one of those teams you mentioned will eventually break through but sometimes it takes a while, and sometimes all you get is one shot like the Sharks in 2016 or Ottawa in 2007. Hell, even the Blues and Caps haven't gotten close again since winning.

It’s got to sting to never win a Cup, but I personally wouldn’t put teams that dominated in regular season, made several Conference Finals and the SCFs, “consistently disappointing”.

Washington was routinely winning the Southeast Div, including a Presidents Cup, and then won two Presidents Cups when the Metro Division started, and couldn’t get out of the 2nd Rd. That was notably underperforming in the playoffs to me, but hey, a Cup is a Cup.

It feels like Edmonton didn’t get good until 2022, when Woodcroft and some key trades (pre-arm injury Kane & Ekholm) fueled their two respectable playoff runs. They lost to the eventual Cup winners both years.

Skinner’s .881% SV% in 20 playoff games is kind of a problem though.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
It's time for the NHL to make all penalty calls in the playoffs reviewable by video or perhaps in Toronto. In every game I'm watching, poor calls by the referees are playing far to crucial a role.

In Edmonton, there were two cross checking calls in the mid second period that were absolute trash and the second one, I think it was on Nurse, led to the game winning goal. Both were extremely marginal and the call on Nurse would have been overturned on any reasonable review. There was simply no cross check at all on the play. Vancouver had a one goal lead at the time and Edmonton was dominating. On the ensuing power play, Lindholm scores within a few seconds and it's a two goal lead again. It's the end of the period. The momentum of the game got changed on a call that should never have been made and that couldn't withstand a 5 second look at video. The third period would have been played very differently if it had started as a one goal and not a two goal game.

In Baseball it was impressive how the league finally bit the bullet last year and put a timer on the pitchers and dealt with a long standing abuse by implementing a new rule and changing the game for the better. In the NHL it's time to deal with blatantly wrong power play calls. Review of major penalties has been a success, avoiding a number of horrific miss calls. Allowing the refs to review bad calls such as the call on Nurse should be a no brainer.

How do you overturn a “marginal” cross-check penalty though?

It’s not like that isn’t a cross-check.

But cross-checks like that happen and don’t get called all the time.

Like here:

Usually doing it around the crease gets called more but not here. Teams were on a 4v4, but the Nurse call happened just a few minutes before this.

Cross-check calls are completely random and the enforcement of the rule makes no sense.

And yes, they do better with other rules, but that’s not hard compared to cross-checks. I don’t know if reviewing them is answer, but this always drives me nuts.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Toronto and Edmonton are examples of teams that are built to succeed when the game is called by the book and not when it is called by the arbitrary, unwritten playoff rules.

Reactions: RNCDevil

HoliksGhost

Oct 24, 2007
One problem is cross-checking is a (ridiculously) nebulous grey area.

God help me, I actually get the review, though it’s close.

Coyle is skating right at Swayman, he’s preventing that save even if he isn’t pushed and he falls on him after the puck is in. (It’s easier to see how far Coyle is in the crease at some angles more than others.)

It’s weird though because refs tend to call even very light shoves in the crease cross-checks, but cross-checks are a box of chocolates, there’s zero consistency. (Yes, I didn’t stick with the reference but I’m leaving it in.)

The wording of the rule almost makes it sound like you could use circular logic, and call interference on the attacking player during the review, but probably not.
That cross check gets called on defenseman every day of the week.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
I'm at the point where I would actually prefer refs get more calls wrong than have more reviews.

Pursuing perfect accuracy is a limitless rabbit hole and a fool's errand, and every review call that needlessly burns several minutes makes the product distinctly worse.

If I were NHL Czar, first move would be limit every single video review to 20 seconds. Immediately kick them up to the war room, and if he can't make a call to overturn in that time period the call stands.

I understand it's different because it's a computer and a much simpler call, but the minor league strike call appeal should be the model. Player calls for it, we kick to the jumbotron, player looks like a moron when the pitch is clearly inside the zone, and we're all done in the time it takes for me to have a sip of my beer.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
I'm at the point where I would actually prefer refs get more calls wrong than have more reviews.

Pursuing perfect accuracy is a limitless rabbit hole and a fool's errand, and every review call that needlessly burns several minutes makes the product distinctly worse.

If I were NHL Czar, first move would be limit every single video review to 20 seconds. Immediately kick them up to the war room, and if he can't make a call to overturn in that time period the call stands.

I understand it's different because it's a computer and a much simpler call, but the minor league strike call appeal should be the model. Player calls for it, we kick to the jumbotron, player looks like a moron when the pitch is clearly inside the zone, and we're all done in the time it takes for me to have a sip of my beer.
I agree.

I think the Bennett goal was an egregious missed call. IMO, the fact that it was reviewed and upheld builds the case for less replay and not more.

The time limit on reviews is such an obvious solution that it's shocking it hasn't happened yet. The longer a review goes, the more you give viewers a chance to switch to something else (Youtube shorts, Netflix, etc.). Since that affects revenue, it feels like the kind of thing that would be at the top of the NHL's list to fix.

Camille the Eel

But we have an absurd situation right now where everyone in the world except the referees (including the fans with their cell phones and the arena Jumbotron) sees the replay. That situation can’t persist if the game is to be credible. At least let the guy who called the penalty see it again in slow mo’ or from a different angle.

And when you are standing next to someone and shoving them with your stick as the two players lean on each other, I would argue that’s not a cross check. As I think of it, a “check” like a body check or cross check requires an element of striking with force instead of merely leveraging..

Reactions: Guttersniped

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Skinner needs to make a save.

I could see Jack Campbell making an appearance for game 5 if they lose game 4.

The Canucks could easily be up 3 games to 0 in this series on the Oilers right now. They’re lucky they won that OT game. I think that was the game they jumped out to a 4-1 lead and literally stopped playing.

That was game 1. Had to look it up I don’t have a long memory with playoff games I have little rooting interest in.

Reactions: My3Sons

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
people gotta stop with the need for more reviews or more penalties or missed calls or shouldn't be called its getting out of hand.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think I’d rank Skinner possibly below Andersen on current goalie power rankings for the week.

Of all goalies left I’d say those two are absolutely the coldest.

Shesterkin is still easily on top. Swayman is probably still second despite human this round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad