TheBigThree

Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
LmSj0Q8.png

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Don't forgot about our special teams. Both PP and PK units have been excellent thus far.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
Matthews and Nylander. Watching them on a line has been great.

I had us finishing 2nd last in the division, but it's still disappointing to lose. Mainly because, Leafs deserved a lot of those wins imo. We need to get so much better on defense though before we'll be any good.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
You mean our GM didn't trade it away...that's right Burke isn't GM anymore.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Unless Lou can work some magic and dump Hunwick while acquire Lindholm and trouba while only giving up some combo of JVR, Bozak, Gardiner, Marincin, Polak, 1st, 2nd and any prospect not currently on the Leafs, we better start familiarising ourselves with the top 5 prospects in the upcoming draft...

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
The kids scoring is what i was going into the season hoping to see, i didnt think we were going to win. We have lost every game by one goal except last night obviously. I'm hoping a big point season for Matthews and Nylander after their great start

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Here's a positive.

Once we figure out our team D and Andersen starts playing like he can, we are going to be a ****ing good team.

Like Walshy said, our loses, with the exception of last night, have been by 1 goal. We have one of the better offenses in the league, and it's only getting better.

Figure out our D, and we'll be laughing

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Unless Lou can work some magic and dump Hunwick while acquire Lindholm and trouba while only giving up some combo of JVR, Bozak, Gardiner, Marincin, Polak, 1st, 2nd and any prospect not currently on the Leafs, we better start familiarising ourselves with the top 5 prospects in the upcoming draft...

Not really. There is very little chance that Andersen continues to play this bad. Our defense isn't great but not nearly as bad if we get rid of Hunwick and Polak with just #5/6D (they don't belong in the NHL) we control the puck far more than the other team so far. That leads to more wins than losses. We will finish with ~84 points.

Another positive that people don't know about: Leafs are third in possession right now. Most teams that are good in possession make the playoffs.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Not really. There is very little chance that Andersen continues to play this bad. Our defense isn't great but not nearly as bad if we get rid of Hunwick and Polak with just #5/6D (they don't belong in the NHL) we control the puck far more than the other team so far. That leads to more wins than losses. We will finish with ~84 points.

Another positive that people don't know about: Leafs are third in possession right now. Most teams that are good in possession make the playoffs.

The leafs core group of players (Matthews, Nylander, JVR, Rielly, Zaitsev and Gardiner) have been really good. The problem is that the rest of the team has been hot flaming garbage particularly Hunwick, Carrick, Polak, Marincin and of course Andersen.

High possession totals are great but mean nothing with a Swiss cheese defense and a shocked goaltender.

It might get better but I think it's just as likely to get worse as opponents learn to exploit these weaknesses.

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
The leafs core group of players (Matthews, Nylander, JVR, Rielly, Zaitsev and Gardiner) have been really good. The problem is that the rest of the team has been hot flaming garbage particularly Hunwick, Carrick, Polak, Marincin and of course Andersen.

High possession totals are great but mean nothing with a Swiss cheese defense and a shocked goaltender.

Exactly! We took the first steps and added legit talented players, but too often seem to be scrambling in our zone. This is probably partially because of the youth and because there are so many players that stink.

As for Andersen, I'm still willing to be patient. I'll see what he's like in December.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Auston and Willy are #1 and tied #2 in NHL scoring.

That might be the only positive on the season so far not just on tonight.

Black hat blue eyes

Jul 21, 2015
I just can't understand some of the posters on this forum. What did you think was going to happen this year. THERE ARE NO SAVIOURS on this team. This is a team game and adding talent does not equal a playoff team. At not point should anyone have beleived we are some sort of contending team. It was less than a few months ago this team was hot garbage (to borrow another posters term). This is the pain , we are exactly were we should be in the rebuild. We are still 2 years out of the playoff picture and maybe longer for cup contention. This team is what it should be. Struggling to win.

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
Nylander and Matthews are averaging almost 4.5 SoG/game to give support that their early success isn't entirely a fluke. If they continue to get this many chances every game I won't be surprised if both of them are 30 goal scorers this year, and maybe one of them can break 40.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
It's worth remembering:

Pittsburgh the year they added Crosby, still terrible.
Washington the year they added Ovechkin, still terrible.
Tampa the year they added Stamkos, still terrible.
Islanders the year they added Tavares, still terrible.
Edmonton last year they added McDavid, still terrible.
Buffalo last year they added Eichel, still terrible.

This is just what tends to happen. Getting a superstar doesn't mean instantly competing.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good

Great points. So Hunwick and Polak are the weakest links?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad