Only 3 euros has ever won the conn smythe

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
If William Nylander wins a Conn Smythe, what will be his nationality? Hockey wise, he a Swede because at some point you have "to pick your country" to play in international tournaments and he picked Sweden.
Nylander,,,,,born in Calgary, makes him Canadian. Spent much of youth in Canada and USA where he dad (NHLer) worked. Went to Sweden in the summer and then spend much of his teenage years in Sweden. Partly because he looks so Nordic, he will always be considered a Swede.

Zobitembois. The "English" Royal dynasty you mentioned. Very much Germanic blood lines. Before be renamed the House of Windsor due to political reasons, he was named the House of Hanover.
William the Conquerer was a Norman (located in the Northern France) had strong Nordic/Viking bloodlines. He defeated the Anglo Saxon King. The Saxons (part of modern Germany) came to Britain in the fifth century , to help the Anglos defeat the Vikings and Celts.
So as you suggest, there is vast mix of culture, ethnic, and historical links across all of Europe.

Paxton Fettel

Mar 3, 2006
Media bias. Fedorov would have had one if not for that. Hasek deserved one despite being on the losing side. Same can be said about Bure in 94.

Reactions: Slimmy

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Malkin wasn't snubbed last year, he just didn't win. He was less impressive against Nashville than Crosby was, that ultimately decided last year's vote that was pretty close entering the Final.

We can argue about the merits of 2016 well-enough (which, again, Sid outperformed Kessel in the 2016 SCF, likely tilting that...though I'm sure the tie-breaker for many voters was the Canadian factor/media bias against Phil), but I don't think you're going to find (m)any Penguins fans willing to debate that 2017 went to the wrong player.

I'll agree with the other two you listed, however.

Reactions: 99664987

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Malkin wasn't snubbed last year, he just didn't win. He was less impressive against Nashville than Crosby was, that ultimately decided last year's vote that was pretty close entering the Final.

We can argue about the merits of 2016 well-enough (which, again, Sid outperformed Kessel in the 2016 SCF, likely tilting that...though I'm sure the tie-breaker for many voters was the Canadian factor/media bias against Phil), but I don't think you're going to find (m)any Penguins fans willing to debate that 2017 went to the wrong player.

Granted, that one is certainly debatable. As is the Kessel snub in 2016.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Granted, that one is certainly debatable. As is the Kessel snub in 2016.

Honestly I think 2016 just came down to who had the better final game, which was Crosby. Snub would insinuate a level of distance that frankly wasn't there. 2017 was less of an open race towards the end, but again Crosby had the best stats in the Finals, making the decision for most voters.

Malkin not getting into the NHL Top 100 was a snub because it's inexcusably stupid to have guys like Sundin, Toews, & Kane on a list without him; Kessel being left off Team America in 2016 was a snub because he had/has a skill set that the Americans were in no situation to ignore (and rightly got embarrassed for it)...the Conn Smythes needing a microscope to determine who was best I'm not buying so much.

Now if you want to argue that some reporters give the tie-breaker based on nationality...I'd entertain that theory.

More like Murray 2016 and Kessel 2017

If not for a couple weak moments in the Tampa series I think Murray would have won the 2016 Conn Smythe. He was the Pens' MVP through the first 2 rounds, IMO, and would have come out nicely with Sid & Kessel splitting the skater vote...but his stats in the final 2 rounds were human.

Last edited:

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Kessel 2017?!

XDDD

Geno and Sid were quite a bit better.

Actually, Geuntzel might have had the Conn Smythe playoffs last year, Murray the year before, but it's become a reputation award and who has a better reputation that Sid? Crosby didn't deserve either one of those.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver

Kessel should have won it two years ago imo

EDIT: I meant two years ago (said last year)

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
only 4 americans have ever won the conn smythe, 3 in a row from 2011-2013 after brian leetch did it in 1994.

just further proof that canadians are better

DieSendungmitderMaus

Apr 14, 2018
Did you know that players with first names starting with M have only won the Conn Smythe three times? Mario twice and Mike Verbindung once.

Tells you what kind of players you should be drafting.
If I'm GM I take only playeron my team whose first names don't start with an M.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Let's just go ahead and ignore the fact that the vast majority of players in this league are North American. I'm sure that has nothing to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad