My proposal would be

Eriksson - Benn - Jagr
Whitney - Goligoski

Morrow - Roy - Ryder
Larsen - Daley

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I'd have Benn (or whoever's best) take the faceoff, and then move Benn up to the point after that.

ginblossoms

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
another option would be to double-shift goligoski at the point (b richards-style) and bring in daley when goose gets extended too much.

i'm also okay with morrow as a net presence. he'll battle there. he's still got good hand-eye for deflections. he still gets good shots off of those off-balance situations from rebounds.

i'm liking the possibility of benn below the goal line, jagr on the right half wall, and whitney on the right point. passing between them, jagr's magic from the half wall, puck hand-offs between benn and jagr, benn's sweeping moves to the front of the net.

Cin

Eurosnob.
Feb 29, 2008
Austin, TX
My thoughts were that he could just go between both units. The positioning as far as 'LW and RW' don't really mean anything with all of the movement that actually goes on during the play. So Eriksson would do his normal from floating off the half wall to the front of the net and cycle really well.

Whitney will definitely be on the PP every game. Just hard to see where he'll be with them saying Morrow is going to be getting that time.

Unless Maybe Eriksson will only be doing PK now? Doubt it.

ginblossoms

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
as mentioned in the preseason thread, the pp didn't look too impressive at today's scrimmage. observing whitney, i'm convinced he can effectively qb the power play. imo, his offensive hockey sense (and execution) was head and shoulders above the rest.

jagrgodr

Sep 24, 2006
I wouldn't read too much into this poor PP on the first day when a lot of these people have barely played with each other. They just need a little bit of time to get to know each other, that is all. It would also help that Benn was there..

Does Benn play on the Penalty Kill? Is he going to be like Giroux, and cover all aspects of the team, PP, Pk and first line? It could be best to get Benn & Jagr on the same PP unit so it won't effect the rolling of the lines too much afterwards.

ginblossoms

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
They should just give Jagr the white board and have him show them how to run the PP when he's on the ice.

it's funny. i was sitting right behind the bench, and i actually saw the actual white board they used to describe the pp. i was tempted to snap a pic but ultimately didn't. as a fan, i surely don't want to sabotage the stars' pp strategy for any and all opponents to analyze! heh. i will say that the acronym "ppbo" was used... whatever the heck that means.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Does Benn play on the Penalty Kill? Is he going to be like Giroux, and cover all aspects of the team, PP, Pk and first line?
Yes. A not insignificant part of his game is being a threat to score shorthanded.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I wouldn't read too much into this poor PP on the first day when a lot of these people have barely played with each other. They just need a little bit of time to get to know each other, that is all. It would also help that Benn was there..

Does Benn play on the Penalty Kill? Is he going to be like Giroux, and cover all aspects of the team, PP, Pk and first line? It could be best to get Benn & Jagr on the same PP unit so it won't effect the rolling of the lines too much afterwards.

Benn can and has killed penalties.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
FYI .... this wasn't in the Scrimmage video on the main site, but look for the full video of Gully if you want to see it.

Gulutzan said "at some point" Dallas will use Whitney or Roy at the point, and he's leaning towards Whitney so Roy can take faceoffs. IMO ... "at some point" meant when Jamie Benn is available.

Please dear lord make that mean Robi is going away. You'd have two right shot options on the point in Larsen and Whitney, and you'd have two left shots in Goligoski and Daley.

If I was guessing ... Roy gets kicked down between Ryder and Eriksson based on the current configuration. That means Benn would likely be up front with Jagr and Morrow.

Czech Your Math

I am lizard king
Jan 25, 2006
bohemia
it's funny. i was sitting right behind the bench, and i actually saw the actual white board they used to describe the pp. i was tempted to snap a pic but ultimately didn't. as a fan, i surely don't want to sabotage the stars' pp strategy for any and all opponents to analyze! heh. i will say that the acronym "ppbo" was used... whatever the heck that means.

PPBO... maybe PP breakout?

could also be power play B.O., which the players get when the PP really stinks :cry:

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Gulutzan has apparently decided to try Fiddler on the PP.

Can't make this stuff up.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
He's desperate for a FO option. Same reason Ott got PP time last year.

Desperate is a stretch. He has a more offensive option in Eakin who was winning plenty of faceoffs in the games I watched this year.

The argument isn't that Dallas needs to be concerned about winning the faceoff. The issue is that Gulutzan is once again hesitant to use a rookie with offensive upside instead of a veteran who clearly has no business to be on the PP.

Being gun shy in the NHL doesn't cut it. He needs to learn to develop players and trust them or he's not going to be around long. It's very clear what direction GMJN and Gaglardi want to see this team go. They haven't been talking up these young players for nothing. They want to be a team built from within. That' means sucking it up and dealing with the occasional blunders of a young player.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I can buy starting Eakin and Reilly on the "4th line" so they can earn their role ... if that's even what is happening. I see the value in making a young player earn his way even after all the endorsements he may have received from the GM and owner.

Fiddler on the PP ... lol ... that just makes me a bit crazy. Seriously ... that does absolutely nothing to help the team. It hurts the team, and that mentality is a reason Dallas was historically bad on the PP last year. Yes .. historically ... I wish that was an exaggeration.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad