OT - NO POLITICS One year ago life changed - A reflection on how it has changed us

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I just remember Rudy Gobert jokingly touching the microphones and thinking “what a goofball” and 1 year later we are still watching sports games with zero crowds

life comes at you fast
I still blame everything on Rudy Gobert. If he didn't so publicly dismiss safety measures and then get struck down, we wouldn't have had such a swift and dramatic shutdown and people would've been less reactionary as a result.

Damn you Rudy.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I almost feel embarrassed to post anything here. My experience has obviously been different to most of yours. It's been a time to just bunker down and simplify life a bit, and wait for the worst to pass. There have been minor inconveniences but nothing that has lasted too long. Lockdowns and associated restrictions are definitely going to have significant long-term effects and lost opportunities for some but it's sheer good fortunate that my wife and I are not in that position. Probably the thing I got tired of the most was having to speak to people so often via online means but that has passed at least for now and of course that's such a minor issue. Virus-wise, there have been a small number of cases in my area, but never any sustained community transmission. I don't know anyone who has had Covid and have never really felt at serious risk of getting it. My town has had no cases at all since September. Life is almost back to normal except in a few small areas.

Really for us in Oz everything now depends on the vaccines. If they work as intended we will claim back the one big thing we have lost - the ability to travel freely both interstate and particularly overseas - by the end of the year and then we will carry on largely as before, although it would be naïve to think we won't be feeling the economic impacts for a long time to come. But if they're not as effective as hoped, well then it's going to get very tricky.

What have I learnt from this? Probably a few things, but the main one is just taking it that bit less for granted that normal life and particularly freedom of movement will always just carry on unimpeded. I'll appreciate some of the basic aspects of life that little bit more, and - and this is such a first-world luxury - we'll probably look to be more proactive in making good on some of our travel plans once we're able to, because who knows when we may lose that again. The other thing is just being more thankful to live in a very blessed, safe part of the world.

Last edited:

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
March 17th is stuck in my head as the date things really changed for me, but I think it was really the Sunday after the NBA shutdown where I really changed my habits - the 17th is stuck in my head as that was the last time I had a drink until July (for health and isolation, not a real problem).

The bad for me cannot compare to the bad for most. I already worked from home. My company actually flourished (ancillary medical field, new problem means new demand). I have a small social circle anyway. My hobbies are mostly solo or small group. I rarely went to bars or ate out. I had a (small) in home gym setup (that's since been expanded).

But the prior isolation present in my life had taken it's toll on my mental health over the prior couple years, especially since the break up with my ex left me living alone nearly 3 years ago. In retrospect I had been limping along, managing my issues in the same ways I always had, keeping them just below the surface and getting by. It wasn't a healthy way to live, just hoping that, somehow, it'd just go away one day.

Covid isolation kicked those issues into overdrive, and I finally faced the problem in August by reaching out for help. I've been in counseling since, and though I've had no real breakthrough yet, it has helped tremendously. I think just the fact that I'm finally trying to address my anxiety issues has helped them; crazy how that works huh?

The good stuff: With no other way to see family in the beginning, my sister & I started going for hour long walks after work last spring with my dog. I've kept that up, even as she's had to stop. Been great for me & great for my dog; he's come along way and is now totally lease-off trained. I'm addressing my mental health. I bought a house (though a recent issue has made that a pain, I've also turned a corner on that). And I think I found someone special, who I now call girlfriend, even during this mess. Many first dates since my ex, this is the first person I've really felt could be my last date too (though it's still a little early, we started in September).

Anyway, I have realized I've had it a lot better than most. I feel for those who have lost people, or dealt with the disease directly. It saddens me to see what my niece & nephew have had to sacrifice (especially my niece, going to a brand new high school with many new kids, and it's so hard to make friends in this environment; at least my nephew is still in the same school with the same kids). I extrapolate that to the millions of other kids whose lives will forever be marked by this. It makes me feel selfish to even remark on my 'issues' with the pandemic, so I save it for anonomous places like this.

I believe we've finally turned a corner though. My optimism is real these days. I think I'll be vaccinated by June. Fingers crossed we'll all have a good summer ahead of us.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
The last year my late Mom's last remaining sibling
died of Covid in April, then in Jul my immediate older
brother passed on the operating table of heart
disease and early this year my other older brother
was judged incompetent. Adding to this two of my three daughters were essential workers, one of whom as a
PT works with Covid patients and the other works at
DD and Market Basket.

Good news is my daughter the PT is vaxed and I get my 2nd Moderna in April

Even better, my son and DIL had a baby girl!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad