One trade you would make if you were the GM

gordonshumway

Sep 18, 2010
Gardiner to Edmonton for Oilers' 1st rounder
Reasoning: Rielly made Gardiner expandable and if we could get a lottery pick for him... I'd make the trade.

Kyle Doobas*

Andrew MacDonald is a UFA this year, and I don't see him re-signing with the Isles. I think Girardi stays with the Rangers.

Andrew Mac is an excellent defensive d. If the Isles were shopping him at the deadline, I would be willing to move our 1st this year for him.
If we could dump a couple of the defensemen we have now for help up front and sign a guy like this in the off-season (or trade for him), as well as maybe a similar understated veteran defensive d-man like Mike Weaver (plays for the Panthers right now), I'd be pretty happy.

Trade Fraser and Franson

MacDonald-Phaneuf
Gunnarsson-Weaver
Gardiner-Rielly
Ranger

....with MacWilliam, Granberg, Percy, etc. knocking at the door. Adding another top-pairing stud would be nice, but rather than giving up quality assets for one, I think I'd prefer to just shore up our depth with better fits and work on developing Rielly or Gardiner into that guy.

BayStreetBullies*

I would only trade Phaneuf if he won't sign for 7 years with a $6.5M cap hit. Front load it with diminishing salary to meet the $6.5M cap hit. Phaneuf is good, but, he's not > $7.0M great IMHO! That would be my best offer.

He's easily worth 7-years/49 mil, $7 mil AAV. Your idea of a best offer is low-balling players and forcing them out. That's what is called bad asset management.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Reasoning: Rielly made Gardiner expandable and if we could get a lottery pick for him... I'd make the trade.

It's not guaranteed that Edmonton's 1st will be a lottery pick! I'd ask for a prospect as well.

BayStreetBullies*

I'm curious to know how Rielly, in his rookie season, has made Gardiner expendable. Especially since Rielly has been a healthy scratch multiple times.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
He's easily worth 7-years/49 mil, $7 mil AAV. Your idea of a best offer is low-balling players and forcing them out. That's what is called bad asset management.

I respectfully disagree. He'd be overpaid at $7.0M IMHO. He was overpaid for much of his current deal. That's why we got him for cheap from the Flames!

I see us complaining hard on this board after 3 or 4 years at 7 for $7.0M. If we give him $7.0M, I hope it's for a shorter term like 3 years. I see Phaneuf playing really lazy after getting his retirement contract.

Maybe, it's just me. Maybe I'm wrong, but, I'm willing to take the flak for my opinion on Phaneuf.

gordonshumway

Sep 18, 2010
I'm curious to know how Rielly, in his rookie season, has made Gardiner expendable. Especially since Rielly has been a healthy scratch multiple times.

They've scratched him to some extent because he's a 19yr old kid playing with the big boys, but it's not like Gardiner's been lights out - quite frankly, save for his great few games vs Boston in the playoffs, Gardiner's been pretty average (at best) since his rookie season. He's not physical and not exactly scoring much for someone who's supposed to be an offensive dman. Might be time to cut bait while he's still a valuable commodity... plus hey, the thread is one trade you would make - if you can get a lottery pick for this guy, I think 9 out 10 ppl would go for it. Of course, this being Leafs they'd still find a way to pick some unknown guy from Latvia or Belarus... or Oilers would make the playoffs making this a mid rounder ;)

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Clarkson or Liles for Volchenkov.

Swap bad contracts.

Get a shut down defenseman to pair with Rielly or Gardiner, and give us room to send down Fraser and/or Ranger.

We may need to add a pick or prospect to the deal to make it happen.

wavaxa2

Sep 24, 2010
I would do Gardiner for Andrew MacDonald and Matt Martin. The isles will have to pony up for MacDonald next year and Martin is only making 650k Solves a couple of problems. Shot blocking "D" man who is pretty good in his own end and Martin is a hitting machine who plays hard.

This makes no sense from an Islanders point of view. MacDonald is a better defenseman than Gardiner.

nussell

Nov 29, 2013
Ontario
Reimer, Gardener, Liles, 3rd
For
the schenn brothers
or
Remier , Gardener, Liles 3rd, 4th
For
Steve Ott, Tyler Myers,

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
I use to think Reimer and Gardiner to Edm made sense but they'll probably ride out Bryz now

For me I'd trade Gunnar and keep Gardiner

Gunner, Kulemin, and Reimer are three assets with value I'd move

packaging them though might be tough....can do two separate? or the rare NHL threeway?

something like

Leafs deal: Gunner, Kulemin, Reimer, Ashton
Nsh deal: Klein
CGY deal: Baertechi, Reinhart, J Macdonald

Leafs get: Klein, Reinhart and J Mac
Nsh get: Baertechi and Gunner
CGY get: Kulemin, Ashton and Reimer

Last edited:

Ruski

Apr 7, 2009
Toronto
The first thing i would do is:

Sit down with Phaneuf and plainly ask if he will take $6m/year.

If not, trade him. If yes, sign him to the max 8 years and be done

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
i would like the leafs to do something bold like trade lupul - you have to give to receive
imo the leafs are obviously shopping gardiner but i think his value is diminishing by the minute

jaguars-fan-confused-wtf.gif

Coming off a game where he led our team in ice time (25:30) and was a +1 registering a primary assist on the OT winner.. His value is "diminishing by the minute?" This ignoring the fact that he leads our team in ESTOI/G by close to a minute over #2 Dion Phaneuf and is a +2 in this role..

blue82

BELEAF (win or lose)
Dec 7, 2009
Leaf Nation

Coming off a game where he led our team in ice time (25:30) and was a +1 registering a primary assist on the OT winner.. His value is "diminishing by the minute?" This ignoring the fact that he leads our team in ESTOI/G by close to a minute over #2 Dion Phaneuf and is a +2 in this role..

i am hoping you are right and that i am just confused :nod:

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
The first thing i would do is:

Sit down with Phaneuf and plainly ask if he will take $6m/year.

If not, trade him. If yes, sign him to the max 8 years and be done

I would not offer him anything less than $6.5M cap hit. Front load it, and have it average out to the aforementioned cap hit. Not sure about 8 years though. Phaneuf might get too lazy on a retirement like contract. It would be better if he needs to work towards earning another final contract.

agropop

Mar 3, 2011
Windsor

This, Gardiner needs to stay

jimmycarter

Jun 12, 2010
something for steve ott.

he can fill in while bolland is out. then i'd extend bolland and ott.

a third line of: ott-bolland-clarkson.

would obviously call jets to see what the asking price is for e. kane and byfuglien. probably too rich for my blood anyways.

leafstilldeath*

One trade: Would want to move either Bozak or Clarkson (both seem like immovable unfortunately)

OR

If Dion is not resigning at least by a week before trade deadline then he gets traded.

BUT WOULD LOVE:

Bozak+2nd (or asset) for Couturier. Ease the cap and we will be set.

Kadri
Couturier
Bolland(if he resigns) or Holland
McClement (he has gotta be resigned)

Meanwhile, Gauthier is being developed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad