Speculation: One player for the Leafs

Going forward from today you can only have one!

• Auston Matthews

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • Connor MacJeebuzz

Votes: 33 66.0%
  • Leon Draisatl

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Conor Bedard

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Tage Thompson

• Cale Makar

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • Mitchell Marner

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Rasmus Dahlin

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Personally I picked Cale Makar, I don't dislike the Leafs D I just think they need a real gamebreaker on the back end. He's the best puck mover in the league and would make the Leafs offence the best in the league by far, you'd have a 30 to 35% PP and you'd probably pick-up and extra 30 5v5 goals

I know there's no way to acquire Makar but Erik Karlsson? Anyone?

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Let’s undumb this poll.

Just one player: McDavid

To add to the current team: Makar

Who cares? - Makar
Rielly - Brodie
Sandin - Liljegren
Muzzin
Holl

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Cale Makar - Conn Smythe and Stanley Cup. The Norris and Calder aren't too shabby either!

Reactions: therealkoho

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
So you either pick a Leaf and you get nothing, or you pick an alternative player and you get a free franchise player dropped on your team? Um...
I should have been clearer I assumed it would be sort of obvious that to pick any of those players you would have to give up the MVP.

You have to give to get as they say.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I should have been clearer I assumed it would be sort of obvious that to pick any of those players you would have to give up the MVP.
You have to give to get as they say.
So it's having Matthews or trading him for one of these players? If we pick Marner, are we cloning a 2nd Marner?

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I'm not sure but I sure want Dubas around to f this up and continue the drama around here:sarcasm:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
McD. Anyone picking any players other than him is definitely a personal preference.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
In a cap world, AAV really does matter for a team like ours

According to cap friendly, leafs have almost 2 million. Let’s say no matter who they get they deal both kerfoot and holl to grab and extra 5.5 million. That gives us 7.5 million

Getting a guy like Mcdavid is going to be tough without trading a big piece like nylander or Rielly, who I think would be hard to move with his term.

Dahlin is only signed one more year past this one, and he’s gonna ask for Makar money minimum. So he’s gonna be hard to fit

It’s between Drai Makar and Thompson

Drai has 2 years left after this year and is signed to 8.5. We could replace engval with a league minimum player and we’d be able to fit Drai. He’d be an amazing winger to play with either lines. Only thing is he’d take Matthews’s spot on the pp as he is superior in that area, so Auston would need to play his other hand

Thompson we could fit outright by dealing Holl and kerfoot. He’s signed long term, and if he can continue to be even a 90+ point player for us it would be huge. We’d have the ideal 1/2 C lineup. He’s a unicorn and having him play with Marner and Tavares would make that line elite

Makar makes the most, but it’s similar to Drai, and he’s signed 4 years past this. This would make our defence top tier. Rielly would become a #2 and we’d have a top 6 of:
Rielly - Makar
GiO - Brodie
Sandin - Lily/Holl

Makar would also help our pp as well as he is one of the best quarterbacks

Bedard would also be interesting, as he’d extend the window by at least a half decade. Moreover, he’d make it palatable to lose nylander or Matthews. He’d also be an elc so he could be added for next to nothing

If I really had to pick, i think I’d take Makar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad