Rumor: One of Brodin/Dumba is going to be traded (likely Dumba); Staal being exposed

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
Presumably because moving a defenseman for a forward is easier than moving a defenseman for a slightly younger, exempt defenseman. The latter is great for us, but I don't know that it makes sense for any potential dance partners.

And if they really like Drouin, this could potentially be a unique opportunity to get him. Assuming of course that all this smoke contains some fire.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
And if they really like Drouin, this could potentially be a unique opportunity to get him. Assuming of course that all this smoke contains some fire.

They'd have to like him more than Granlund or Nino, because one of them would almost have to be gone if this happened.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I mean if we offered something stupid like Kaprizov I'm sure Vegas would be receptive. But we wouldn't do that.

Anything can happen, but just losing Brodin or Dumba to Vegas still seems like the odds-on favorite. A deal with Vegas is a distant second and "everything else" an even more distant third.

Well I agree with you. That's why I don't get all these "Minny has to trade a defenseman threads/rumours". That seems like the worst option. They they still lose another defenseman to Vegas anyway.

Trading a defenseman makes no sense. That's why as I previously suggested, if there was to be a trade, it would basically be a bribe to Vegas to leave the defensemen alone.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Why not just trade one of Brodin/Dumba for an exempt Dman? Why involve Drouin and his uncertainties?

The person with the exempt D (assuming here they're near value of B/D) would have very little motivation to trade, therefor almost certainly forcing us into a "bad trade" scenario.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
He could give Minnesota the much needed young star forward, but he's not risk free.

itd be really great to have him considering Parise is looking very rough, but I wouldn't say he's any more of a star than Granlund, nino, or coyle at this point in anything other than name.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
I don't, but I also but the chances that he's selected as less than likely, although not 0%.

Certainly one of the unprotected D would be a nice target for LV. But some team in need of a center could make an offer to LV to select Staal for a trade. Not saying it is likely, but their are teams who want centres too.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Certainly one of the unprotected D would be a nice target for LV. But some team in need of a center could make an offer to LV to select Staal for a trade. Not saying it is likely, but their are teams who want centres too.

At that point we could explore moving one of our defensemen for a younger center. Not that that isn't without its own dangers.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
At that point we could explore moving one of our defensemen for a younger center. Not that that isn't without its own dangers.

The Bolts and Wild would be good trade partners for a potentially large deal with several good players being moved.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
ha yeah Staal would make a great get for a cap-strapped contending team in need of a top six center. huh.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Have to think Staal would have pretty good value on that contract to a Cup contender.

Honest question here but does anybody know how many empty net points Staal got. A guy I work with constantly complained this season due to the amount of empty net points Staal got costing him his pool. I can only find 4 goals online and other then doing a game by game breakdown I can't for the life of me find empty net assists

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
They'd have to like him more than Granlund or Nino, because one of them would almost have to be gone if this happened.
Not so fast there.

Brodin for Drouin.
Scandella taken by Vegas

Drouin(5)-Staal(3.5)-Nino(5.5)
Zucker(2)-Koivu(6.75)-Granlund(5.5)
Parise(7.5)-JEE(.925)-Coyle(3.2)
Schroeder(.6)-Kloos(.8)-Pominville(5.6)
Stewart(1.1)

Suter(7.5)-Dumba(2.5)
Olofsson(1)-Spurgeon($5.2)
Reilly(1)-Folin(1)
Prosser(.6)

Dubnyk(4.33)
Stalock(.65)

Dead cap: $2.5m
Cap total: $74.255m
Cap ceiling: $75m
Cap space: $.745m

Thoughts: Forward lineup is probably the deepest group in the NHL, especially if Schroeder turns into Kunin and Stewart turns into Tuch. 8/9ths of our top 9 is left handed. Pominville would need to be traded if we wanted to improve the defense. Trade a pick with him to Arizona if need be. Then use the money to get an UFA dman. Defense as-is is... less than spectactular. Horrendous is probably the word after Suter-Spurgeon-Dumba. Would need huge growth from Olofsson/Reilly. Suter-Dumba is good. I think Spurgeon can handle Olofsson and any potential mistakes made. Reilly/Prosser-Folin... Well, 10 minutes a night. Maybe Soucy can handle third pairing? Again, the defensive situation completely changes if Pominville is gone.

Just to prove what you are saying is not necessarily correct, haha ;)

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Not so fast there.

Brodin for Drouin.
Scandella taken by Vegas

Drouin(5)-Staal(3.5)-Nino(5.5)
Zucker(2)-Koivu(6.75)-Granlund(5.5)
Parise(7.5)-JEE(.925)-Coyle(3.2)
Schroeder(.6)-Kloos(.8)-Pominville(5.6)
Stewart(1.1)

Suter(7.5)-Dumba(2.5)
Olofsson(1)-Spurgeon($5.2)
Reilly(1)-Folin(1)
Prosser(.6)

Dubnyk(4.33)
Stalock(.65)

Dead cap: $2.5m
Cap total: $74.255m
Cap ceiling: $75m
Cap space: $.745m

Thoughts: Forward lineup is probably the deepest group in the NHL, especially if Schroeder turns into Kunin and Stewart turns into Tuch. 8/9ths of our top 9 is left handed. Pominville would need to be traded if we wanted to improve the defense. Trade a pick with him to Arizona if need be. Then use the money to get an UFA dman. Defense as-is is... less than spectactular. Horrendous is probably the word after Suter-Spurgeon-Dumba. Would need huge growth from Olofsson/Reilly. Suter-Dumba is good. I think Spurgeon can handle Olofsson and any potential mistakes made. Reilly/Prosser-Folin... Well, 10 minutes a night. Maybe Soucy can handle third pairing? Again, the defensive situation completely changes if Pominville is gone.

Just to prove what you are saying is not necessarily correct, haha ;)

Man, that's cutting it pretty tight and the defense is pretty suspect. But point taken, sir.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Really start going through the teams of who has a pretty good NHL ready but expansion exempt defenceman that they could trade for Dumba, and ALSO where acquiring Dumba wouldn't push a good defenceman of their own from the protected list to the not protected list.

To acquire Dumba means not protecting another defenceman of their own, so realistically, only teams whose 3rd dman on their protect list is significantly worse than Dumba and losing that player isn't considered a big loss, would be pursuing this kind of trade.

I don't think Minny gets what they're hoping for in a trade like this. The expansion draft is really going to squeeze the market, create sellers, and really limit who can buy, which should drop prices.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Man, that's cutting it pretty tight and the defense is pretty suspect. But point taken, sir.
Who knows, maybe Drouin signs a bridge deal like 2 years $3.5-4m. Maybe Vegas selects Zucker in the expansion draft since we can only protect 7 forwards (Parise, Koivu, Pominville, Nino, Granlund, Drouin, Coyle).

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Yeah, if it has to be for a RD I think we'd be in a really tough spot. But I'd look for picks and forward prospects before 20-23 year old LD. That and LW are where we're deepest.

McPhee seems to be interested in getting picks as prospects as well. Why not offer LVGK picks/prospects to select another player that the Wild wouldn't mind losing as much?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
McPhee seems to be interested in getting picks as prospects as well. Why not offer LVGK picks/prospects to select another player that the Wild wouldn't mind losing as much?

Like I've said here or elsewhere, I think the actual probabilities are something like

1.) The Wild make no trades and lose whoever to Vegas: 70%
2.) The Wild make a deal with Vegas to take/not take particular players: 25%
3.) The Wild make deals with other teams pre-expansion: 5%

Option 3 gets the most discussion because it's the most interesting and the only one that actually concerns other teams, but I think options 1 and 2 are way more likely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad