One Male's Top Fifty(-One) NHL Affiliated Prospects

A Few Good Males

Apr 15, 2018
Detroit, MI
No goalies. If your guy isn't listed, he probably graduated (Mete). Couldn't leave out the guy at 51, so I didn't. Proceed to rip to shreds:

1Rasmus Dahlin
2Andrei Svechnikov
3Elias Petterson
4Casey Mittelstadt
5Miro Heiskanen
6Martin Necas
7Eeli Tolvanen
8Cale Makar
9Robert Thomas
10Filip Zadina
11Kirill Kaprizov
12Quinn Hughes
13Filip Chytil
14Gabe Vilardi
15Jesperi Kotkaniemi
16Brady Tkachuk
17Cody Glass
18Oliver Wahlstrom
19Noah Dobson
20Henrik Borgstrom
21Lias Andersson
22Evan Bouchard
23Morgan Frost
24Kristian Vesalainen
25Adam Boqvist
26Dylan Strome
27Juuso Valimaki
28Jordan Kyrou
29Vitali Kravtsov
30Michael Rasmussen
31Erik Brannstrom
32Aleksi Heponiemi
33Barrett Hayton
34Connor Timmins
35Nick Suzuki
36Timothy Liljegren
37Sami Niku
38Cal Foote
39Sam Steel
40Henri Jokiharju
41Kailer Yamamoto
42Rasmus Anderson
43Ryan Donato
44Owen Tippett
45Adam Fox
46Adam Gaudette
47Olli Juolevi
48Filip Hronek
49Klim Kostin
50Logan Brown
51Daniel Sprong
Honorable Mention (not ordered)
Libor Hajek
Phillippe Myers
Dominik Bokk
Shane Bowers
Alex Nylander
Ty Smith
Nicolas Hague
Kale Clague
Ryan Poehling
Michael Mcleod
Dennis Cholowski
Vitali Abramov
Colin White
Joe Veleno
Nick Merkley
Jonathan Dahlen
Dante Fabbro
Ty Dellandrea
Kole Lind
Kieffer Bellows
Jake Bean
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
A little disappointed ty smith didn't make the list, and that Andreas johnsson didn't get an honourable mention.

Is it a good list? Who knows. So many lists this year.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Pettersson deserves to be #1, he just put up a generational season in the SHL.

Peeps

May 24, 2017
Oskar Lindblom SHL 2017 swedish forward of the year isn't there but Sam Steel is?

TwoPiece

Jul 24, 2018
Oskar Lindblom SHL 2017 swedish forward of the year isn't there but Sam Steel is?
Are you ignoring Lindblom's "meh" 2017-18 season in North America? When he played in the NHL? Where the value as a prospect actually matters?

Reactions: LordNeverLose

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
I just don't get Bellows being on anyone's list anywhere . He could not cut it at college hockey and had to go back to play junior played with Cody Glass and still put up pedestrian numbers .

Reactions: Sheik Yerbouti

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Robert Thomas is overrated in a lot of these lists. He had a lot of points in the WJC but from watching him he was nothing special (solid but not spectacular). Gets moved from london and finishes the season at a MUCH lower scoring pace (1.7 vs 1.3) and wasnt that high of a pick. A 1.5 point per game is a very solid season (and I think hes a very solid prospect) but itsnot enough to jump a guy drafted 20th all the way into the top ten prospects in the league. But after a weaker finish to his season it does leave some question marks. Although I am big on finishing strong later in the season for prospects so I might be being a little harsher on him than others see it

It doesnt make sense to have him ahead of Zadina, Kotkaniemi, Cody Glass or a decent amount of guys lower than him. Morgan Frost, Strome and Rasmussen are all guys that shouldnt be that far off from him as well but theyre back in the late 20s and 30s while hes top ten

Peeps

May 24, 2017
Are you ignoring Lindblom's "meh" 2017-18 season in North America? When he played in the NHL? Where the value as a prospect actually matters?

Meh? He did very good in the AHL. Also was playing with Patrick and Voracek in the end when he started producing.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Robert Thomas is overrated in a lot of these lists. He had a lot of points in the WJC but from watching him he was nothing special (solid but not spectacular). Gets moved from london and finishes the season at a MUCH lower scoring pace (1.7 vs 1.3) and wasnt that high of a pick. A 1.5 point per game is a very solid season (and I think hes a very solid prospect) but itsnot enough to jump a guy drafted 20th all the way into the top ten prospects in the league. But after a weaker finish to his season it does leave some question marks. Although I am big on finishing strong later in the season for prospects so I might be being a little harsher on him than others see it

It doesnt make sense to have him ahead of Zadina, Kotkaniemi, Cody Glass or a decent amount of guys lower than him. Morgan Frost, Strome and Rasmussen are all guys that shouldnt be that far off from him as well but theyre back in the late 20s and 30s while hes top ten

He was playoff MVP.

Reactions: A Few Good Males

Sheik Yerbouti

Sep 12, 2008
As a Canuck fan I'm happy enough. 4 players on the list and 2 honorable mentions. Juolevi gets underrated a bit because of his mediocre d+1 but it's understandable due to his uneventful game style that he gets ranked low.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

I dont agree often with you, but this I can agree 100%. Im not even sure hes much better than Kostin.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
He was playoff MVP.

Yeah his playoff was strong obviously (he won MVP) but I'm not sure it was that impressive of a run this year. He was the only real high end, top pick type on a team of low picks or undrafted guys that ended up winning. His closest competition scoring wise was a 5th round pick in his second draft and an undrafted player. He still only had like 16 goals his last 40 something games to end the season, compared to 20 in 27 when he was with london. Not saying hes a bad prospect, thats still a big accomplishment. But for me 16 goals in 40 something games to end the season, only a 20th overall pick, I still dont see what hes done to deserve a top 10 ranking as a prospect.

To me the top 10ish guys are ones who seem pretty much guaranteed to be first line players in the NHL, maybe not stars but at least 1st liners. Thomas leaves a bit desired for me to say that about him.

I dont agree often with you, but this I can agree 100%. Im not even sure hes much better than Kostin.

Eh we dont disagree that often and probably agree on more than we disagree, we just let each other know when we disagree with each other about something lol :thumbu:

Reactions: Mrb1p

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Yeah his playoff was strong obviously (he won MVP) but I'm not sure it was that impressive of a run this year. He was the only real high end, top pick type on a team of low picks or undrafted guys that ended up winning. His closest competition scoring wise was a 5th round pick in his second draft and an undrafted player. He still only had like 16 goals his last 40 something games to end the season, compared to 20 in 27 when he was with london. Not saying hes a bad prospect, thats still a big accomplishment. But for me 16 goals in 40 something games to end the season, only a 20th overall pick, I still dont see what hes done to deserve a top 10 ranking as a prospect.

To me the top 10ish guys are ones who seem pretty much guaranteed to be first line players in the NHL, maybe not stars but at least 1st liners. Thomas leaves a bit desired for me to say that about him.

Sure, I'm just saying that to me winning playoff MVP is not a weaker finish to the season, which is what you said and seemed to be a key part of your argument. Now you seem to be stretching this into an argument about goal scoring over the second half and the playoffs, I guess?

What question marks did his "weak" playoffs exactly raise for you? Whether he can be the best player in the league in his draft +1 season with, as you say, a "5th round pick in his second draft and an undrafted player" as his side kicks?

Whether he's top 10 or not doesn't matter, really, it's meaningless. I just think your argument is, at best, unconvincing.

Last edited:

TwoPiece

Jul 24, 2018
Meh? He did very good in the AHL. Also was playing with Patrick and Voracek in the end when he started producing.
34 points in 54 games is nothing special. 6 points in 23 NHL games isn't what I would call "producing" if you think that this kid deserves to be on a Top-50 prospect list.

Congrats, he barely out-produced Tomas Tatar's 18-year old rookie AHL season (as a 21-year old), and then also produced at a 4th-line pace at the NHL level. That's not a Top-50 prospect.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Sure, I'm just saying that to me winning playoff MVP is not a weaker finish to the season, which is what you said and seemed to be a key part of your argument. Now you seem to be stretching this into an argument about goal scoring over the second half and the playoffs, I guess?

What question marks did his "weak" playoffs exactly raise for you? Whether he can be the best player in the league in his draft +1 season with, as you say, a "5th round pick in his second draft and an undrafted player" as his side kicks?

Whether he's top 10 or not doesn't matter, really, it's meaningless. I just think your argument is, at best, unconvincing.

Depends on what you think my argument is I guess then. Even though he won playoff MVP, I'm saying it wasnt that impressive for me, it didnt raise question marks I still said hes a solid prospect. but he needs to do more in Hamilton to jump from a 20th overall pick to a 9th overall prospect in the entire league over some of the other guys on that list. Had he kept up his production from London and finished the season on that kind of pace you might be able to convince me.

If you think its meaningless where hes ranked, thats fine. But dont come into a thread about rankings on a discussion board. Why do you think he deserves to be the 9th overall prospect in the league?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Its about the season not being strong enough to catapult Thomas to 9th best prospect in the league.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Depends on what you think my argument is I guess then. Even though he won playoff MVP, I'm saying it wasnt that impressive for me, it didnt raise question marks I still said hes a solid prospect. but he needs to do more in Hamilton to jump from a 20th overall pick to a 9th overall prospect in the entire league over some of the other guys on that list. Had he kept up his production from London and finished the season on that kind of pace you might be able to convince me.

If you think its meaningless where hes ranked, thats fine. But dont come into a thread about rankings on a discussion board. Why do you think he deserves to be the 9th overall prospect in the league?

I wasn't interpreting your argument, I was quoting it. Your conclusion was that "after a weaker finish to his season it does leave some question marks", noting you're a big fan of finishing strong, hence why you're being hard on Thomas. All I did was point out that he was the playoff MVP, which seems to directly contradict what you're saying. But perhaps I'm wrong - maybe you do believe that his initial transition from London to Hamilton is more indicative of his potential than being MVP in the playoffs and leading them to a championship. That seems to be what you're getting at, but feel free to clarify.

I read the discussion board to see informed analysis and opinions on prospects, as I have for many years. Whether Thomas is 9th or 19th on a list isn't really what matters, the specific ranking is just for fun, but the exercise does sometimes bring about interesting discussion about a player's development, or the comparison between them. I wasn't intending to pick a fight on Thomas, I just thought your point - which I bolded - seemed to ignore/forget how he actually finished the season, which is as playoffs MVP.

As for my assessment, I think Thomas has developed considerably in the past year and not only has great tools, but is more advanced in some ways than similarly toolsy centres like Glass. Thomas has outstanding hands and vision, but has also improved his shot and finishing ability, which were question marks in his draft year. He's always making plays and creating offence, he can play with pace in transition or in-zone off the cycle, and transitioned well from a supporting role in London in his draft year to leading a team in his +1, hence the MVP award.

That being said, I'm not sure he is a future first line center, and he wasn't dominant at the WJC - although again, few on this list were. But you're right, that's something we would typically expect out of an elite prospect. But I think part of that has to do with the fact it's been a light couple of years for top end forwards, especially Canadians (see: Hayton, Barrett). I'm not sold on Tolvanen or Necas as first liners either, but they're 6 and 7 on the above list. It's a bit like the question of how many first line forwards are in the NHL - is it 93? Most would agree not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad