Music: One Album Wonders

Say Hey Kid

War, it's just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Who are some groups that may have been good but only released one studio album? Live and compilation albums don't count.

1. The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill
Sex Pistols
Blind Faith
Derek & the Dominos
Coverdale-Page
Them Crooked Vultures
Mother Love Bone
Temple of the Dog
Jimi Hendrix Band of Gypsies
Beck, Bogert, & Appice
Jeff Buckley
Heaven & Hell
Damage Plan
Mad Season
Minor Threat
Green River

Last edited:

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
Mother Love Bone
Temple of the Dog
Mad Season
Green River
You've got good grunge bona fides..

Hater was like this for a while.. a grunge supergroup with a single album. But like 15 years later, released a second record.

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill

It was the biggest thing in music in 1998, won 5 Grammy’s, has been bestowed basically every accolade you can give it, was culturally significant, remains culturally significant, remains highly revered and it’s the only album she ever did and basically dropped off the face of the earth not long after. She did an MTV unplugged and a handful of singles, and that’s it. Not even a rumor of a second album that I can recall.

Say Hey Kid

War, it's just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill

It was the biggest thing in music in 1998, won 5 Grammy’s, has been bestowed basically every accolade you can give it, was culturally significant, remains culturally significant, remains highly revered and it’s the only album she ever did and basically dropped off the face of the earth not long after. She did an MTV unplugged and a handful of singles, and that’s it. Not even a rumor of a second album that I can recall.
It's in my top 10 albums ever.

Reactions: GKJ

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Minor Threat
I checked and I was surprised that Minor Threat, technically, released one studio album. (It was 21 minutes long, and contains some of their least interesting material).

I'm not sure if it counts for purposes of this thread, but "Complete Discography" contains all 26 songs (clocking in at 47 minutes!). I generally don't like punk rock (or compilation albums as a matter of principle), but this is one of my favourites.

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Who are some groups that may have been good but only released one studio album? Live and compilation albums don't count.

1. The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill
Sex Pistols
Blind Faith
Derek & the Dominos
Coverdale-Page
Them Crooked Vultures
Mother Love Bone
Temple of the Dog
Jimi Hendrix Band of Gypsies
Beck, Bogert, & Appice
Jeff Buckley
Heaven & Hell