Potential Season Ending Epic Double-Assed GDT: On The Brink| Blues @ Avs| 7pm, TNT| Lazy Meme/Gif Party

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
From Lou -

Berube moved rookie Alexei Toropchenko up from the fourth line to a line with Brayden Schenn and Jordan Kyrou, because it was Toropchenko who kept pushing, fighting and playing hard when the Blues' chips looked like they were down. He would factor in the tying goal scored by Justin Faulk, then credited to Jordan Kyrou with 4:46 remaining to tie the game 3-3.
"He’s such a good skater and he plays so direct," Berube said of Toropchenko. "Whatever line he goes to, they have a good shift, that’s what it seems like to me. I just made that switch (with 5:25 remaining in the game) and they ended up getting a goal. I thought he had a heck of a game."
When I saw the switch, I was so glad for the team and for Toro, especially, cuz I could see it was Toro driving the play and continuing to push. I kept yelling at the screen for Toropchenko to keep pushing.

Another game-saving adjustment by Coach Berube. I knew this kid was gonna be a gamer.

Alexandrov, are you watching? Pay close attention to Barbashev and Toropchenko.

EDIT: During this entire series, I've been yelling for Toro to assert himself and to be the hitter, not the target.

Reactions: mk80

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
101 ESPN brought up a great point today while I was listening. If anyone other than Nathan MacKinnon scores the Avs 4th goal, there is no stop in play to collect all the hats, that essentially gave the Blues a free timeout for Steve Ott and the coaching staff to gather the team and draw up a play. Any other random Avs player makes it 4-3 and the puck is dropped just seconds later with all the momentum for them.

Last edited:

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
101 ESPN brought up a great point today while I was listening. If anyone other than Nathan MacKinnon scores the Avs 4th goal, there is no stop in play to collect all the hats, that essentially gave the Blues a free timeout for Steve Ott and the coaching staff to gather themselves and draw up a play. Any other random Avs player makes it 4-3 and the puck is dropped just seconds later with all the momentum for them.
it really was serendipitous, avs peaked just a hair too early

Reactions: Ridge1982 and mk80

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
As it stands right now, he reminds me a lot of Sunny. Very reliable 4th liner who can move up the lineup in a pinch. Not sure his shot will ever be good enough to consistently beat NHL goalies but he's already made his mark on this coaching staff.
I've always seen him as a better-skating Jaskin. There are probably better comps in the League, but being a Blues guy, I tend to comp to former Blues players.

I appreciate your opinions and views, but I don't really see the Sunny part. Oskar is a sizeable guy, but his edge work is way better and it has to be cuz he is a supreme forechecker and needs to tightly turn on a split-second's notice.

Sunny is like 6'2" or 6'3", but plays with a much lower center of gravity, which, again, lends itself to his edging, forechecking style.

Toropcheckno is a great skater, but looks a little clumsy out there at times. If he can strengthen his core and lower his center of gravity a bit, then I think we will see a more complete player.

Zezel’s Pretzels

May 25, 2019
I've always seen him as a better-skating Jaskin. There are probably better comps in the League, but being a Blues guy, I tend to comp to former Blues players.
Decent comparison...but Jaskin had ZERO hockey sense, whereas Torpedo seems to be growing day by day. I was one of his bigger critics or tougher sells earlier this season and playoffs, but the dude is doing more than just skate and possess. He's making the team better.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Decent comparison...but Jaskin had ZERO hockey sense, whereas Torpedo seems to be growing day by day. I was one of his bigger critics or tougher sells earlier this season and playoffs, but the dude is doing more than just skate and possess. He's making the team better.
Toro is the Bull that we all wanted Jaskin to be.

Bullish instincts with an actual hockey IQ? Bring it!

Reactions: A Real Barn Burner

Allens Five Hole

Jan 17, 2017

I appreciate your opinions and views, but I don't really see the Sunny part. Oskar is a sizeable guy, but his edge work is way better and it has to be cuz he is a supreme forechecker and needs to tightly turn on a split-second's notice.

Sunny is like 6'2" or 6'3", but plays with a much lower center of gravity, which, again, lends itself to his edging, forechecking style.

Toropcheckno is a great skater, but looks a little clumsy out there at times. If he can strengthen his core and lower his center of gravity a bit, then I think we will see a more complete player.
Yeah I'll admit it wasn't a perfect comparison. The main comp that I see between the two is that they are both relatively wirey and play a strong, high IQ game. Sunny definitely added some weight as he matured here and I think that Toropchenko will too as he is only 22 right now. Sunny is a very intelligent player that consistently made the right plays in his own zone and Toropchenko is doing that as well at such a young age. He obviously has a very high hockey IQ.

Sunny's skating is definitely much better than Toropchenko but pretty much anyone's skating is going to be better than his. That is definitely a huge weakness and if I remember correctly, it was one of the most glaring deficiencies he had in his draft year. I think I remember people stating that he would never make the NHL because of it even though he had some highlight reels that showed a skilled player. He has straight line speed but that's where it ends in regards to his skating strengths.

Either way, if Toropchenko can take on the role that Sunny has played over the last 3-4 years, that would be a huge win for the scouting department. I love what I see so far and there is so much room for improvement for him as well.

Reactions: ChicagoBlues

Ridge1982

Nov 4, 2019
Unbelievable comeback by the boys. One of the great victories ever - or just a footnote.
It’s one of the great victories ever.

We’re outmanned, so we’re playing with house money. No one expected this series, I sure as hell didn’t, to go to six games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad