News Article: On eve of season, NHL acknowledges more players using cocaine MOD Warning Post 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Eye opening stuff in here.

The National Hockey League, responding to what it says is a possible increased use of cocaine among its players, has kick-started talks with the NHL Players Association to add the drug and others like it to the list of banned substances for which the league regularly monitors.

"The number of [cocaine] positives are more than they were in previous years and they're going up," NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told TSN in an interview

http://www.tsn.ca/on-eve-of-season-nhl-acknowledges-possibly-more-players-using-cocaine-1.372075

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
There is the proof for what the NHL take the fans for.

I think choir boys in the form some of us know have long been eradicated.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I was shocked to see that they singled out just one team and that it was the Leafs.

AprilMayandJune

Feb 26, 2012
NHLPA & NHL need to serverely detract from players salaries and ticket prices if the league revenues are making its way to the coke dealer.
Anyone who supports the scum that pedals this crap needs to see how many lives are destroyed on the path.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Cocaine is not a performance enhancing drug, it actually can do quite the opposite for you.
NHL should just shut their holes, they do absolutely nothing against real PED's and shouldn't make a stand against something that shouldn't concern them to begin with. Young guys with money do drugs. This is the world we live in.

1- its illegal.

2- the league invests millions in these young guys.

The league has every right, like numerous employers, to be concerned and have mandates against it.

dabid

Feb 6, 2006
HFBoards
coke-zdeno-chara.jpg

another reason to love this man!!!!!!!

The Last Baron*

They're young and they have money....not all that surprising.

Surprised it's not on the list of banned substances though....although if it does become banned, it'll only be a matter of time before they add Marijuana to the list, which is less harmful than alcohol. :help:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
one warning only!

18) Discussion of illegal drugs should be kept within academic or newsworthy limits only. "How to" discussions and "I'm so stoned" posts may result in repercussions ranging from a warning to immediate and permanent banning, depending on previous history, context of post and nature/content of post. Promotion of anything illegal is strictly prohibited.

Be very careful what you post.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

Don't see how Cocaine is performance enhancing. I mean I am not saying they take it for that......Cocaine doesn't really make sense to me for NHL players unless they're partying a lot.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Jesus. It may not be performance enhancing but it's not at all good for these so called role models.

Cocain can cause an elevated heart rate-pretty sure that isn't good for overall health.

I'm surprised it isn't in the list but the NHL has never seemed all that interested in monitoring for and punishing performance enhancing drugs and I am willing to bet there are several in the league who use them.

RedBruin

Jul 4, 2010
Germany
Don't see how Cocaine is performance enhancing. I mean I am not saying they take it for that......Cocaine doesn't really make sense to me for NHL players unless they're partying a lot.

I suppose they didn't see the need. Either didn't know this problem existed or (more likely) pretended not to know.
Personally I'd prefer if they went after PEDs first, as a hockey fan and customer that's more important to me than what players do in their spare time.

What The Puck

Future GM
Feb 12, 2014
Northeast
Vague, nonspecific accusations are not particularly helpful.

My workplace has a drug-free policy. The NHL is more than within their rights to demand a drug-free (that includes banning marijuana) employees. These are athletes. Some of the problems that go along with drugs- broken families, lost wages and debt, gambling, physical and verbal abuse to name a few- have no place in the NHL and provide us the motivation to be vigilant.

As a fan, I want my athletes to be in top shape. If for no other reason than that, a drug-free policy makes sense.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
They're young and they have money....not all that surprising.

Surprised it's not on the list of banned substances though....although if it does become banned, it'll only be a matter of time before they add Marijuana to the list, which is less harmful than alcohol. :help:

And would be the opposite of performance enhancing. I can't imagine a stoned player would be effective at all.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
And would be the opposite of performance enhancing. I can't imagine a stoned player would be effective at all.

Probably more about players associating with the criminal element.

Thought the league didn't mind having a booking in the coaching ranks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad