OT: Olympics

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Anyone staying up to watch Women's Canada-USA match going on right now? Is it me or the Americans seem to be twice as big as the Canadians? But puck-handling skills and skating seem to be on the Canadian side.

Last edited:

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I'm watching but unfortunately have to go to bed before the 3rd period. It's been quite a game so far and I wish I could finish it!

Reactions: DrEasy

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
It’s been entertaining but I’m calling it a night now.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Not planning on watching any of the Olympics.
Don’t want to support the Networks or the sponsors that are involved in airing the games.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
I don't know if it's because of feeling bored after all this time with Covid, or because the NHL players aren't there, or because it's in China, but there's been a distinct lack of a buzz about the Olympics.

I usually follow the Games, but this year I didn't even know they started until I got a notification on my phone that some Canadian snowboarders won medals.

Are media networks not airing as much because of the diplomatic boycotts?

Whatever the reason, I haven't tuned in at all. Even the allure of Eric O'Dell hasn't drawn much interest in the Men's hockey tournament.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
I don't know if it's because of feeling bored after all this time with Covid, or because the NHL players aren't there, or because it's in China, but there's been a distinct lack of a buzz about the Olympics.

I usually follow the Games, but this year I didn't even know they started until I got a notification on my phone that some Canadian snowboarders won medals.

Are media networks not airing as much because of the diplomatic boycotts?

Whatever the reason, I haven't tuned in at all. Even the allure of Eric O'Dell hasn't drawn much interest in the Men's hockey tournament.

Ya that men's tourney is really not appealing beyond catching some of the prospects like Sanderson and Power. If it were NHLers I'd probably be glued to every meaningful game.

The time difference also kind of sucks. Having to stay up past 1am to watch Canada / USA women's is really tough. Was much easier to wake up at 7am and watch women's soccer or De Grasse run in the summer.

Also I would say, if we're comparing to summer, I personally find the sports a little less interesting. Seems to be more judged events for example. As cool and impressive as it is to watch Parrot and McMorris on slopestyle, it's hard to distinguish what made one run better than the other, although McMorris' brother does a pretty good job with the commentary.

Anyways, I'm still watching a lot of what I can and the recaps. Watching people who have trained 15+ years for one moment is incredibly compelling. You won't find much else on earth where the stakes are so high and the stories so interesting.

Reactions: DrEasy

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Ya that men's tourney is really not appealing beyond catching some of the prospects like Sanderson and Power. If it were NHLers I'd probably be glued to every meaningful game.

The time difference also kind of sucks. Having to stay up past 1am to watch Canada / USA women's is really tough. Was much easier to wake up at 7am and watch women's soccer or De Grasse run in the summer.

Also I would say, if we're comparing to summer, I personally find the sports a little less interesting. Seems to be more judged events for example. As cool and impressive as it is to watch Parrot and McMorris on slopestyle, it's hard to distinguish what made one run better than the other, although McMorris' brother does a pretty good job with the commentary.

Anyways, I'm still watching a lot of what I can and the recaps. Watching people who have trained 15+ years for one moment is incredibly compelling. You won't find much else on earth where the stakes are so high and the stories so interesting.

I'm with you on wanting to watch and support the athletes who train their whole lives for this one moment. Especially the sports that don't offer lucrative pay. They do it for the love of the sport, which is pretty awesome.

It just hasn't drawn me in this year compared to other years, and I wish it did because the Olympics are great.

The timezone is for sure a thing too. Hard to stay up that late to watch the events on live TV

Reactions: SPF6ty9

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
I'm with you on wanting to watch and support the athletes who train their whole lives for this one moment. Especially the sports that don't offer lucrative pay. They do it for the love of the sport, which is pretty awesome.

It just hasn't drawn me in this year compared to other years, and I wish it did because the Olympics are great.

The timezone is for sure a thing too. Hard to stay up that late to watch the events on live TV

Ya I hear ya, I haven't had as many chats with friends about the games either so I think a lot of people share the sentiment. Maybe having it so close to the summer games is another factor.

Kind of funny to think that pre-internet they'd just play all the events in primetime no matter where the games were held and the only people who would know the results beforehand would be the TV station personnel. No spoilers.

But ya, it's nice to be able to just focus on pure sport. No BS about scandals, social media, how much Zaitsev is overpaid, etc. Was really cool to see the ski jumping team win a medal. I don't know crap about that sport, but to hear how they've spent all this time away from home to train, probably barely have enough money to get by, and now everything is paid off and they'll have a cherished memory for life. It's a nice break from the North American sports news style that gets almost TMZish at times.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
The time difference and a watered down hockey tournament pretty much killed what little interest I have in the Olympics.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Canada looks really good. Or Germany was just overrated. Kent Johnson seems to make every line he plays on dynamic.

Should be fun catching Canada / USA w/ Sanderson in there.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I'm usually a traditionalist when it comes to the Olympics, and mostly only watch hockey, downhill skiing and the speed-skating events, but I have to say the snowboard cross event last night was super exciting.

Reactions: bert

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I'm sure you all miss Mikkel Boedker, so if you hurry now you can catch the 3rd period of Denmark-Russia!

edit: Peter Regin is also on the team!

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Muddy

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
The time difference really hurts these games. Also being in China! No NHLers for the men's. Is not going to be a great Olympics for hockey like years past.

USA vs Canada for women's is almost a given.

ROC is a huge favorite I would think for the men's.

I will cheer Canadians and Americans when no Canucks are in potential for medals.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The time difference really hurts these games. Also being in China! No NHLers for the men's. Is not going to be a great Olympics for hockey like years past.

USA vs Canada for women's is almost a given.

ROC is a huge favorite I would think for the men's.

I will cheer Canadians and Americans when no Canucks are in potential for medals.
The men's is wide open this year. Finland, Russia, Canada and Sweden can all win. USA has an interesting team because its so young. Canada has a much better roster than 2018. I still really enjoy it, playing on NHL ice makes the games way more exciting.

Find the women's hockey really boring. They are way better than they used to be but its still not very good. Also as you mentioned the discrepancy in the teams stinks. Two teams makes it boring. Finland supposed to be 3rd best and Canada beats them 11 to 1....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad