Olympic Gold Medal Game Shootout - Mario Lemieux vs Dominik Hasek - who wins? (read rules)

Best of 7 shootout - Lemieux vs Hasek for Olympic Gold Medal. 1 point per save or goal. Who wins?

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Olympic Gold medal game are the stakes. The winner is to be decided under unique shootout rules which are:

- 7 shots
- Mario Lemieux takes all 7 shots
- Hasek is goalie for all 7
- If Lemieux scores 4+ times, his team wins
- If Hasek makes 4+ saves, his team wins

Who would win, and why? Assume both are in peak shape.

Dakinjor

Nov 13, 2014
I mean this is a pretty “if my uncle had breasts would he be my aunt” kind of question but I’m pretty sure the shootout favours the shooter but that’s just me.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Shootouts favour goalies by a significant amount. Since their introduction in the regular season, players generally score around 1/3 of the time and only 5 players with at least 25 attempts have been 50% or better (Kozlov, Christiensen, Oshie, Seguin and Kotalik), and only Kozlov is above the percentage needed here for 4 out of 7 (he's at 58.7, everyone else is under 53).

While Lemieux would likely be one of the best, and had a great penalty shot record in his career, so would Hasek. Obviously anything can happen in a sample size this small, but I don't know how the answer isn't more likely to be Hasek just based on the numbers.

Last edited:

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Shootouts favour goalies by a significant amount. Since their introduction in the regular season, players generally score around 1/3 of the time and only 5 players with at least 25 attempts have been 50% or better (Kozlov, Christiensen, Oshie, Seguin and Kotalik), and only Kozlov is above the percentage needed here for 4 out of 7 (he's at 58.7, everyone else is under 53).

While Lemieux would likely be one of the best, and had a great penalty shot record in his career, so would Hasek. Obviously anything can happen in a sample size this small, but I don't know how the answer isn't more likely to be Hasek just based on the numbers.

Exactly, this should be Hasek

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Smart money is on the almost any goaltender against any nhl any skater, seem quite likely for the goaltender to go above 50%. Skater need to come up with the new goal against and against.

That said Towes is almost 50% in the shootout in is career and did score many goal in a row in the world junior.

And Mario Lemieux in is career is 6-2 in penalty shot (75%), making it possible to choose Lemieux in that kind of question.

But in both case they were not facing a peak Hasek, that said I think 3 goal you go with Lemieux, so it is close.

geofff

Aug 12, 2014
www.makeitsostudios.com
In '98, nobody was scoring on Hasek in the shootout. Peak Lemieux would be a better option than any of Canada's shooters at the time (Fleury, Bourque, Nieuwendyk, Lindros, Shanahan) but still there's no way he scores 4 of 7 against Hasek.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
I have a bias towards Mario and will have to vote as such in a poll like this when it's completely hypothetical. He was money on breakaways.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Smart money is on the almost any goaltender against any nhl any skater, seem quite likely for the goaltender to go above 50%. Skater need to come up with the new goal against and against.

That said Towes is almost 50% in the shootout in is career and did score many goal in a row in the world junior.

And Mario Lemieux in is career is 6-2 in penalty shot (75%), making it possible to choose Lemieux in that kind of question.

But in both case they were not facing a peak Hasek, that said I think 3 goal you go with Lemieux, so it is close.

0/1 (0%) vs Hasek though :sarcasm:

Reactions: Voight

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
I'm a pretty all-out Lemieux fan. And he's the best ever on breakaways. But, the shootout still favours the goalie, and Hasek is one of the best ever as well.

Three should be a break even number on the betting line. If Lemieux scores two or less, Hasek wins. If Lemieux scores four or more, Lemieux wins. Three is considered a tie. Three goals would probably be the most common number between these two.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
The real answer is probably Hasek, but if someone can do it, it's Mario Lemieux. He has the tools and the talent to smoke even the best goaltender ever. So I voted for him.

Reactions: Thenameless

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Hasek was terrible against Pittsburgh (and Lemieux). Remember hearing the stat in the 01 playoffs that his career save % against the pens was the worst of any team.

And Lemieux was automatic on the penalty shot/breakaway.

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
Can't bet against Lemieux, he just knew how to put that puck in the net.

Best natural scorer of all-time

Reactions: Kreator

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Hasek was terrible against Pittsburgh (and Lemieux). Remember hearing the stat in the 01 playoffs that his career save % against the pens was the worst of any team.

And Lemieux was automatic on the penalty shot/breakaway.

Hey I wanted to verify statistically

Regular Season

14-16-5
.906 SV%
2.70 GAA

Playoffs

3-5
.898 SV%
2.38 GAA

wow it's crazy, compared to his career averages...

Reactions: Gurglesons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad