Value of: Olli Maatta

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
The Hawks are most likely going to buy out Maatta rather than pay him 4 M for the next 2 seasons. I see lists of inexpensive dmen to help shore up a teams’s blue line but no one mentions Maatta. Maatta is a very good 3rd pairing dman and you can do worse by having him on your 2nd pairing if he is paired with a puck mover. Maatta is smart and reliable in his own zone but he is s l o w. What do think he’ll cost as a free agent?

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
You make it sound like the Hawks have a lineup of D-men behind Maatta waiting to take his spot.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
You make it sound like the Hawks have a lineup of D-men behind Maatta waiting to take his spot.
They do.

Technically, they have had a lineup of

Keith-Murphy
Maatta-Koekkoek
De Haan-Seabrook

Seeler
(Not good, but whatever)

With the following D prospects all pushing for spots next year:
Boqvist
Mitchell
Beaudin
Carlsson
Regula

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Why would you ever play any of Koekkoek or Seeler over Mitchell or Boqvist
Koekkoek has been pretty decent. You wouldn't play Seeler over either guy, but Koekkoek is arguable. Ideally all 3 would be in the lineup.
Neither Boqvist nor Mitchell would be up to sit in the press box as the 7th D. Either they're in the lineup or they're in Rockford.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Considering the 11-7 strategy seems to be the new best one out there I think Chicago can afford to run Koekkoek as well
It's a matter of how much Koekkoek costs. He's an RFA. Guy seems to be a late bloomer, which happens with D(though you wouldn't necessarily expect it to happen with a guy picked in the top 10)

Koekkoek happened to be the only Blackhawks defender with a >50% GF and Corsi last season.
He was very good the last 2 months of the season and during the Edmonton series.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Seeler is Ahl bound. Koekkoek played well in playoffs but numbers game wise might be traded. Neither will be a reason Boqvist doesn’t play and if Mitchell is ready same thing.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Maatta to ARZ makes a lot of sense because they can buy him out and Hawks can throw in a pick or prospect...8m in cap dollars for 2m in actual cash could be valuable to a team looking to shed salary but get to cap floor

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Maatta to ARZ makes a lot of sense because they can buy him out and Hawks can throw in a pick or prospect...8m in cap dollars for 2m in actual cash could be valuable to a team looking to shed salary but get to cap floor

There are no teams struggling to get to the cap floor. Especially not Arizona. Its a myth!

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
And AZ already needs to shed a little cap to fill out their roster. So they are paying $2M much needed dollars for air and gaining cap this making it more difficult to get under the cap.I

Better be pretty good picks and prospects...

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
I would like him in Florida. Guy was vilified by Pens fan bc the team was really good, and they needed a whipping boy. Completely miscast by Sullivan.

I haven't seen him play this year, but if he's a UFA walking from Chicago with 0.7m x 4y, I'd happily offer him up to 3m x 3y.
This is assuming we can move Yandle without another D coming back (we would make very good trade partners with ARZ on this).

Could either push Stillman down to the third pair where he belongs, or he could give us the steady, cerebral d-man that just might salvage Matheson's career if Matheson got a fresh start at RD. (Being that he's been tried at wing, this is 100% plausible).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad