Olli Maatta , most overrated D man in the league

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Pens commentators are always kissing this guys butt, but he constantly turns the puck over, bad passes, shooting at teammates, bad reads, and now he just gave his own goalie a concussion. bad luck bringer all around.

Literally every commentating team talks up their own players to absurd degrees.

'Robert Hagg plays a sound, low-mistake game.'

'If the NHL was all about boardplay, Lehtera would be among the elites.'

Reactions: Icarium

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Of all the treads I expected to find on this main board...this was most definitely NOT one of them.

BrendanGallagher11

Sep 18, 2013
Montreal
Karlsson is the most overrated d
People continue to talk about hes a franchise guy
Meanwhile he has the third worst plus minus inthe league
Minus 20 this year

And hes been a minus guy 3 out of last 5 seasons

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
I'd actually argue he's been pretty underrated this year as far as HF goes. He slumped after his injuries (and cancer) but he's bounced back to form this season. If he can improve his speed/explosiveness top pairing upside is still there. I mean, the kid was Finland's best Dman at the age on 19 or 20, that potential doesn't just vanish.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
A lot of people think he’s good? When there are post about him the majority of them are portraying him in a negative way...
True, on HF he doesn't have a high rating, but among my hockey watching friends a lot of them think he is way better than he is. And I don't think it is limited to my circle either. Lots of people talk about him as if he is an emerging top pair guy.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Are you a Pens fan? Do you only watch Pens feeds? No one really talks about Maatta. He's generally considered a #3 with potential or a great #4. Not sure what your issue is.

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
Kind of wish we moved Maatta for Brassard instead of Cole. Olli's never looked the same after all the problems.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
His rookie year he was paired with Niskanen and they were sheltered and he put up good numbers. Then he had two shoulder injuries, cancer and the mumps. He had a tough year last year. He's had a bounce back year this year. He is a below average skater with a good hockey IQ. Like most of the posters in this thread I see him as an adequate to good middle pair D.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
He used to be considered bluechip-level.

HF being wrong about almost everything almost all of the time never gets old.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Pens commentators are always kissing this guys butt, but he constantly turns the puck over, bad passes, shooting at teammates, bad reads, and now he just gave his own goalie a concussion. bad luck bringer all around.

I actually think Maatta is underrated by most Pens fans. He was a big whipping boy the last couple years until this year. He is playing very good this year so I don’t know what games you are watching. Why don’t you analyze your own players. Just jealous because 2 Cuos in a row. He must be doing okay because we won 2 Cups with him even when he was not at his best.

Maatta is easily a top 4 type defenseman and I have seen no place that a Pens fan ever said he was a top pairing defenseman.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
He used to be considered bluechip-level.

HF being wrong about almost everything almost all of the time never gets old.

You mean the OP is wrong in Maatta being overrated? Or HF being wrong in that Maatta was blue chip level? If the latter, Maatta definitely was blue chip level. Just because a prospect gets a lifetime long medication over cancer, suffers two shoulder injuries and mumps and regresses or doesn't progress, doesn't mean he wasn't blue chip level originally. Blue chip prospects don't always pan out as all stars, and even then Maatta had the potential considering his early sophomore season play and Olympics before the injuries.

Or did you actually refer to your own post in that you think you yourself are wrong about most thing?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad