Olli Maatta , most overrated D man in the league

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Pens commentators are always kissing this guys butt, but he constantly turns the puck over, bad passes, shooting at teammates, bad reads, and now he just gave his own goalie a concussion. bad luck bringer all around.
I have no feelings on Maatta other than watching him skate almost makes me sick :laugh:

Reactions: dkhockey

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
He is incredibly slow.
Yep.
Some people question his decision-making and his errors but I think it's just that he can't skate himself out of trouble. He has everything to be an excellent defenceman except for skating and that bleeds throughout his game.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
First of all, because of his high number of games played it's easy to think he's a seasoned vet been in the league for a long time, but let's all remember: Olli Maatta is still only 23 years old, has dealt with some injuries. and hasn't had a full off-season to train for years (two cups, and another summer with mandatory military service).

I feel like the only two groups of people who hold this opinion are A) "Yinzers" who always need a whipping boy or B) People who don't watch him play very much.

Olli has significantly improved both his skating speed and strength. He's not blazing fast, but he doesn't seem to have cement skates anymore. And he's not getting body'd off every puck.

His defensive game is sound. He can still get beat on the outside by a speedy player, but this is more due to his food speed, not any sort of inadequacy in his defensive play. His positioning is great, his stickwork is pretty solid. He doesn't have a very hard shot, but he's accurate with his slapshot and knows where to put it. His offensive IQ is pretty good, and he moves the puck pretty well. His decision-making can be suspect at times, but not many 23 year-old defensemen are going to be void of mental errors.

I have no idea how he can be "overrated". Literally no fans around the league think he's very good, and even a lot of Penguins fans trash on the guy. He's a solid middle pairing puck-mover who needs to continue working on his skating.

Reactions: Rene Saari

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
The kid can't skate. He looks like Rod Scuderi levels of skating.

His puck skills seem okay and he's decent positionally, but he may be one of the worst skating Dmen in the NHL.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I don’t think he’s overrated anymore, objective Pens know his early success in his career was a fluke. He’s a top 4 dman now. He and Dumo are overpaid big time. $8+ mill of cap space for those two over the next 5 or so years kind of sucks. Then you consider Letang and my gosh, that is a mediocre highly overpaid group of Dmen.

In what world is 4 million per year for a second pairing nhl D overpaid? Certainly not the one we live in.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
The kid can't skate. He looks like Rod Scuderi levels of skating.

His puck skills seem okay and he's decent positionally, but he may be one of the worst skating Dmen in the NHL.
I'm to go on a limb and say he's the worst skating d-man in the league.

Dana Murzyn slow

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Pens commentators are always kissing this guys butt, but he constantly turns the puck over, bad passes, shooting at teammates, bad reads, and now he just gave his own goalie a concussion. bad luck bringer all around.
I don't think he is even the most overrated dman on his team.

Oct 18, 2011
If you think that's bad you should hear the Ducks announcers actively try to point out anything Kevin Bieksa does that doesn't result lead to a goal against

"Great clear off the glass by Bieksa...and that'll be icing"

"Good penalty by Bieksa to prevent a scoring chance'...when he's the reason there was one

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
He showed all the promise in the world before being diagnosed with CANCER. It's really sad actually because he was phenomenal before that.

The Penguins and their Stanley Cups seem to be okay with him. He must be alright.

He was never phenomenal.

GigaChad

Oct 9, 2013
He's neither bad or phenomenal.
If you watch the 2014 Olympics or his 1st NHL season, he looked pretty quick and confident.
After the injuries and all he kind of lost some of those aspects. I still believe he can get that quickness and confidence back to the rookie year level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad