Confirmed with Link: Olli Maatta 2 year extension ($3M AAV)

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I’ve really liked maatta this year so I’m pleased to see him locked up. Like others I wonder what this means for Walman who I want/ed the wings to resign.

Walman, Maatta, Chairot and Edvinsson is a reasonable amount of depth tbh.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I think we had to re-sign him just based on how much better Hronek has been with him. See if that carries on.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Finally Yzerman does something right.

Joking aside this was a no brainer. He has been one of the steadiest players on the team.

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
I’m here for this content and this content alone.

Does Yzerman now think Chairot sucks? Does he eat crow and trade him with 35% retention?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Why try him with Seider when we already know Walman - Seider and Maatta - Hronek are two great pairings?

Because I think Walman is gone. Does not fit on long-term plans. Could fetch some assets on a trade.

And Seider has been playing good lately, without Walman.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Because I think Walman is gone. Does not fit on long-term plans. Could fetch some assets on a trade.

And Seider has been playing good lately, without Walman.
Why? How does Maatta fit any better than Walman?

That's great, it'll be even better when Chiarot gets banished to the 3rd pairing and kicks Hagg off the NHL roster.

3rd with whoever sucks least.

Roy S

May 16, 2009
I'm ok with this, but hopefully Walman gets re-signed. I'd rather have Walman than Maatta. Of course, maybe they re-sign Walman and somehow move Chiarot this offseason. That would be the best outcome.

Reactions: jaster

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Walman is a pretty good case of a player worth more to the team he's on than to other teams. He's played well for Detroit, and pairs real well with our best young defenseman. Yeah, other teams can look at his good metrics and note they look good, but from the outside there's going to be a bit of, "cheap, 3rd-pair guy who's simply playing up on a bad team." Which isn't all that intriguing, especially when he has 21 career points and 1 single game of playoff experience. For that reason, I don't think the return would be worth trading him. If he's not coming back, I'd probably rather just ride him for another few months and then wish him luck.

But I think he'll be brought back.

Reactions: BSHH and norrisnick

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Yzerman mentioned Walman as somebody he’d been watching for a while when he got him from STL. I have a feeling he’ll try to hang on to him.

"We had watched him for a while going back to his days at Providence and kind of followed him through the minors," Yzerman said, adding he'd discussed Walman with Blues GM Doug Armstrong earlier in the season.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Funniest Jedi mind trick ever:

Convince Arizona they need Chiarot.
Create a package that includes swapping 2023 first rounders.
Lottery winner is DET (from ARI).

Everybody is hoping Chiarot to to, I understand that. But it's not any kind of reasonable move. Just not yet.

Yzerman traded a vet like Eric Brewer, to buy some time for his Tampa kids. Then on his last year of 3-4 year contract, he traded Brewer away.

I could see same happen with Chiarot. On his last year, after 3 seasons, our kids have taken the main jobs at defence, and Chiarot has fallen to 3rd pair guy. Then he will get easiest assignments, and does probably have Walman-like great looking 3rd pair-guy statistics, especially because our team is much better and everybody looks generally much better in a deep and great team.

As pending UFA, he trades Chiarot away. Määttä has left year earlier, and on that day when Chiarot leaves, our left side could be Edvinsson-Wallinder-Johansson. 3 years from this day.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Everybody is hoping Chiarot to to, I understand that. But it's not any kind of reasonable move. Just not yet.

Yzerman traded a vet like Eric Brewer, to buy some time for his Tampa kids. Then on his last year of 3-4 year contract, he traded Brewer away.

I could see same happen with Chiarot. On his last year, after 3 seasons, our kids have taken the main jobs at defence, and Chiarot has fallen to 3rd pair guy. Then he will get easiest assignments, and does probably have Walman-like great looking 3rd pair-guy statistics, especially because our team is much better and everybody looks generally much better in a deep and great team.

As pending UFA, he trades Chiarot away. Määttä has left year earlier, and on that day when Chiarot leaves, our left side could be Edvinsson-Wallinder-Johansson. 3 years from this day.
That's already happened 50 games in.

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
I think this extension makes only sense if either Walman doesn't want to re-sign or Chiarot going to be traded/bought out/ shot from the cannon in the general direction of Russian border

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad