Olli Määttä is Ready (Orpik Believes, Ignore Lying Burg Media Swine)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Too early to tell. None of the three opponents so far had an offense or style that would really spook a talented rookie. I'm leaning towards sending him back to London either way, to save that first ELC year. Let him finetune his game in the OHL and at the WJC now that he knows what the big league is like.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Saying that Maatta must go down for Despres is just ridiculous. Maatta is showing stuff now that Despres never did. If Despres would be better than Maatta, he would be in the NHL while Maatta would be in the OHL. He's not.

Also, you have to remember, if we keep Despres in the AHL, we could sign him for cheap after this year. If we recall him, he would cost more. I'd rather take Maatta for 2 years at $850k or whatever it is and Despres for $1 million than Maatta for 3 years at $850k and Despres for $2.5 million.

Seriously. Maatta has shown more in three games than Despres has in total. Despres is the one that needs seasoning, not Maatta.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Regardless of the Pen's view on Maatta, Nisky needs to be moved ASAP. Any bottom 6 return would be welcomed.

Epic Neal Time

May 8, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
I don't think it's fair to say he's ready after just three games against teams who finished in the bottom-third of the league last year. I'm not trying to take anything away from Maatta, at all. He's been spectacular. I just worry about him hitting that proverbial "wall" and having a bad stretch. We all know that once Dan's confidence in him dips, he'll be benched for Engelland in a heartbeat. I say we send him down and wait for a roster spot to open next year through losing Orpik or Niskanen. It won't hurt him to dominate the OHL for a year.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Saying that Maatta must go down for Despres is just ridiculous. Maatta is showing stuff now that Despres never did. If Despres would be better than Maatta, he would be in the NHL while Maatta would be in the OHL. He's not.

Also, you have to remember, if we keep Despres in the AHL, we could sign him for cheap after this year. If we recall him, he would cost more. I'd rather take Maatta for 2 years at $850k or whatever it is and Despres for $1 million than Maatta for 3 years at $850k and Despres for $2.5 million.

Despres showed just as much at the start of last year. People have short memories if they don't remember that. Despres was fantastic at the start of last season but his play tailed off as the season went along. He just kind of hit the wall.

The same could happen to Maatta and the difference with Maatta is that if he hits the wall and you have to send him back to junior at some point you've burned a year of his ELC.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I think if you take the long-term view, Olli would be better off spending one more year in the minors. Odds are he will not be this much of a standout as the season wears on, and Jacob made a good point in the other thread that frequently rookies who stay up struggle more as the year goes on. I think that's particularly true of D and G.

Also and equally important, given our depth in WBS (Despres, Dumoulin), there's no shortage of guys who are ready and physically stronger than Olli, who can take over in the event of an injury, etc. I think Olli has been great and part of me would like to see him stick but he's also got to be very confident right now, and sending him back in that state of mind, ready to win a full time job next fall after FA shakes things up a bit... is better than risking him starting to struggle and sending him back to London in that state of mind.

Have to go with the odds, and the odds are, he won't be this big an impact all season. But very excited to see what he can do next year.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
I have as big of a man crush on the guy as anyone, but there is no reason to keep him up here for the whole season. Send him back to London with a ridiculous amount of confidence after how he just played in the NHL, and then see how he is doing next year.

Right now Määttä is the shiny new toy that everyone wants. He is not going to be a significant enough upgrade over anyone else that we have to warrant him staying in Pittsburgh. Just because he is new doesn't mean that he's leaps and bounds above a guy like Niskanen (yeah, I know) enough to warrant burning a year of his ELC.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I have as big of a man crush on the guy as anyone, but there is no reason to keep him up here for the whole season. Send him back to London with a ridiculous amount of confidence after how he just played in the NHL, and then see how he is doing next year.

Right now Määttä is the shiny new toy that everyone wants. He is not going to be a significant enough upgrade over anyone else that we have to warrant him staying in Pittsburgh. Just because he is new doesn't mean that he's leaps and bounds above a guy like Niskanen (yeah, I know) enough to warrant burning a year of his ELC.
Agreed.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I keep going back and forth on what to do with Maatta. We need to consider his long term development, but if after 9 games he is improving the team (which he has thus far, esp last night) then who the hell cares about burning a year on his ELC?

That said, I think Despres should be on this team as well (based on ability not years in the organization) and there just isn't room for both to play every night.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Despres showed just as much at the start of last year. People have short memories if they don't remember that. Despres was fantastic at the start of last season but his play tailed off as the season went along. He just kind of hit the wall.

The same could happen to Maatta and the difference with Maatta is that if he hits the wall and you have to send him back to junior at some point you've burned a year of his ELC.

I agree about Despres. However, I think his play tailed off as he got less ice time. He struggled a bit and then Dan pulled the plug and he tailed off more. I bet if they stuck with him consistently, he would have been fine. I suspect the same would be true of Maatta.

ZapRowsdower13

Ticklish Tummy Tumx2
Mar 2, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
if you sit there and say, "This guy makes our team better" you keep him. If he doesn't, you send him down.

(while asking yourself that question, the follow up is: will I bother playing him when it really matters? If the answer is no, then ignore the answer to question 1, because you're a dumbass)

Who is Dan Bylsma?

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
The pens 10th and 11th games are against the Isles and a HNIC game against the Leafs, it might be good to give Engel a couple games against teams like Floirda and Edmonton, id like to see how Maatta plays against a physical and fast team like the Leafs.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
then who the hell cares about burning a year on his ELC?

For a team as close to the cap as the Pens, I suspect this matters quite a bit to management.

I bet if they stuck with him consistently, he would have been fine. I suspect the same would be true of Maatta.

The problem is that no one can predict how long Määttä will keep up this level of play. He may be Calder finalist if he plays for the whole season, but he could also cool off after 20 games and we land up burning that year of the ELC for nothing.

WhatsaMaatta

Feb 2, 2008

Despres looked really good last year, but Matta looks even better. The bottom line here is that Niskanen need to go and Bylsma needs to work with the young talent that has been made available.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
My head says send him back to juniors. My heart says keep him and roll the dice.

For me, it's pretty simple, actually: Is Olli Maatta one of the 6th best defenseman in the Penguins organization? I think the answer right now is trending towards yes. You should always strive to dress the best lineup possible.

Don't forget, he was talked about being one of the most NHL-ready players during his draft year, with some scouts thinking he could even play that year.

But we'll re-evaluate once Letang comes back.

BronzeSpruce

Mar 14, 2011
IMHO yes he is and one of the biggest reasons I say yes is because the couple times a game he goofs up his recovery and speed to make up for the blunder is second to none.

He is young, fast, and a great skater where even when there is a blunder he is able to very quickly out hassle the opposing player and make up for his mistake right away and he has the smarts and confidence in himself and his game.

Super impressed with him so far and the little bit of point work I have seen his do on the PP has really impressed me. His blue line lateral skating has been impressive and silky really reminds me of Gonch.

He is going to be something special FO SHO!

This. Exactly why I also feel hes ready. He doesnt get down on himself when he makes a mistake. He usually even makes the play even after making a mistake. he doesnt sulk about it or look like a deer in headlights. I think all those little misteps are EXACTLY what he needs. he seems to learn quickly. if you want to develope this kid let him develope in the NHL.

Honestly i wouldnt be surprised if this kid was considered the best dman on the team by the end of the year. i know alot of people will probably tear me up for saying that but he seems to have a very well rounded game. Hes very Martin like, but a better skater, hes got passing and shooting skills but also very sound defensivlly.

Just as most would say Martin was our best dman last year even though Letang a Norris finalist i think Maatta could become our best Dman sooner rather than later.

Ok let me have it............:yo:

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Sending back to juniors especially when confidence is high isn't necessarily a good thing. It depends on a person. It might be cold water on the fire or it could be oil which would make that fire bigger and him work even harder and develope his flaws hard. I think that people think too much of that 1 year of ELC. I think that best case scenario would be that he would be playing until he really hits the wall or who knows if he plays like this and even improves as season goes towards the end. Pietro was sent back into Jr and it worked out perfectly but it depends on a player. I've been following him since he was 14 year old and his best attribute has always been that difference of his good and bad game have been small. He is very consistent player and always been solid. The most important thing is that Pens are certain which way will be better for him and not decide after 9th game if they are uncertain.

Olli Määttä have been better in every game. I think that he haven't been showing his best yet.

Smacker

#LetsGoPens
Aug 15, 2012
Määttä has been great in three games. Very solid playing. But it's too early to tell after three games.

But he looks NHL ready.

ByeBye

Jul 13, 2010
I'm glad I don't have to make that decision to be honest. This is really a situation where I am kind of indifferent because both outcomes are reasonable in a way.
I see it like Tasty Biscuits. I really want to see him playing up in the NHL and that's probably why it's better to send him down as I fear it's just the shiny new toy syndrome that hit me with full force.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
I was on the send Maatta down camp the first two games. After last night, if he continues his play, how on earth can you send him down??

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
I understand waiwers, money things etc. but is there somekind of waiting ticket and Määttä has number 2 or 3, so guys who has ticket number 1 should play NHL??? What a ****. If Määttä plays like this 3 games, he is easily number 4-6 Penguins NHL defender so there is no single reason put him back to OHL. Despres wasn't first and last who didn't get the spot NHL cause someone was better than him, there is not some kind of waiting line where people who was first in line should get the place NHL. NHL is place where best plays!!!

Edit: I think Nashville should send Seth Jones down to CHL, there was many before him in that line. :sarcasm:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
People sure have short memories.

So short that most can't remember when they wanted Despres as a top 4 defenseman before we signed Scuds. But all of a sudden, after his sick training camp and 3 games from a rookie, he's an afterthought and Maatta can walk on water. Maatta's looked very good. But so did Despres, and for a lot longer than 3 games.

It'd be funny if it weren't so predictable.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Penguins aren't a bottom feeder that needs to play a 19 year old hoping they can turn their fortunes around. If he's as good as he seems, imagine what he will be if developed properly.

1 more year in junior, 1 more in the A.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
People sure have short memories.

So short that most can't remember when they wanted Despres as a top 4 defenseman before we signed Scuds. But all of a sudden, after his sick training camp and 3 games from a rookie, he's an afterthought and Maatta can walk on water. Maatta's looked very good. But so did Despres, and for a lot longer than 3 games.

It'd be funny if it weren't so predictable.

I'd have Despres up right now playing and Nisky traded. Whoever among Despres and Maatta plays better, stays.

But I think there's more to Despres being sent down than just the fact he's not eligible for waivers. You don't send a guy down who was proclaimed a top 4 guy just a couple months before.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
To be fair I have never found Despres overall game to be very impressive. I just saw flashes of brilliance and the fact that he is 6'4 and skates well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad