Prospect Info: Olli Juolevi

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
So many idiots out there?? i guess Brackett and Benning have some company?

McAvoy at 23 and Brown and Nylander ahead of Keller??? Good thing Arizona and Boston didn't go BPA

All these revisionist history lists do is point out the fact that it's hard to predict how a pimple faced teenager playing a game against boys is gonna handle playing against men.

oh well it looks as though Canafan and the lynch mob are gonna have a field day now that Juolevi's career has taken yet another set back. I swear this franchise is cursed

Lynch mob??

You take this place too seriously. It’s just words man.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Lynch mob??

You take this place too seriously. It’s just words man.
No i really don't.

I havent really posted much since the weather got nice and the season ended. I've just been drawn back in as the draft approaches and as teams start to make moves..................you on the other hand i see are constantly waging debate with anyone willing to have optimism and are posting the same arguments from 3 months ago. so if anyone takes this place too seriously that would be you

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
No i really don't.

I havent really posted much since the weather got nice and the season ended. I've just been drawn back in as the draft approaches and as teams start to make moves..................you on the other hand i see are constantly waging debate with anyone willing to have optimism and are posting the same arguments from 3 months ago. so if anyone takes this place too seriously that would be you

I don’t take it seriously at all. I do enjoy arguing about hockey and I’ve got an unlimited data plan so that probably explains why I’m on here so much.

The only people who take it too seriously are the ones who get angry at what other people post. They are just words displaying on your phone about millionaire athletes. Calling posters a “lynch mob” suggest you take it all too seriously.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I don’t take it seriously at all. I do enjoy arguing about hockey and I’ve got an unlimited data plan so that probably explains why I’m on here so much.

The only people who take it too seriously are the ones who get angry at what other people post. They are just words displaying on your phone about millionaire athletes. Calling posters a “lynch mob” suggest you take it all too seriously.
No i disagree Canafan. Words matter and what people say says a lot about who they are.

you are being over sensitive...... Lynch mob definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary

Sound like i'm taking it too seriously or calling it what it is?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
No i disagree Canafan. Words matter and what people say says a lot about who they are.

you are being over sensitive...... Lynch mob definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary

Sound like i'm taking it too seriously or calling it what it is?

Yes words *can* matter. It doesn’t mean they do on a hockey message board by posters following the rules of conduct for the board.

Agree you are probably taking it too seriously.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Very excited to see Olli this season. I think he’s playing top four by Christmas, likely partnered with Tanev.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
I didn't realize that was the draft list that every team used. Do you have one that every team will be using this year?

No but if a team picks off the a widely known and public consensus then the apologists for management shouldn't whine about "but in hindsight"...

Reactions: Catbug

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Would you if Dobson's career trajectory followed Pietrangelo and Zadina's followe RNH??

Nope!

I made this handy graph a while back.

Zadina busting would be a bottom right quadrant result. Dobson becoming Pietrangelo 2.0 after we passed on Zadina to take him would be a top left quadrant result.

Attachments

• Math.png
    Math.png
    60.3 KB · Views: 20

Nov 1, 2011
I didn't realize that was the draft list that every team used. Do you have one that every team will be using this year?

Why do people act like their idiots?

Obviously based on a minimum review the list is a composite of several public lists.

You can also see one for this year and it is something that should be benchmarked against using hindsight to review preformance.

lousy

Jul 20, 2004
Calgary
Why do people act like their idiots?

Obviously based on a minimum review the list is a composite of several public lists.

You can also see one for this year and it is something that should be benchmarked against using hindsight to review preformance.

I don't know, why don't you tell me? My statement just showed that the term BPA is a very subjective thing at the time. There is no definitive list to go quoting from, and each team has their own list of BPA. Hindsight is a very different thing. Go ahead and judge the picks after a bit of time all you want, it doesn't change the subjective nature of BPA at the time. Every player develops differently as well based on opportunity and organizational coaching talent.

Nov 1, 2011
I don't know, why don't you tell me? My statement just showed that the term BPA is a very subjective thing at the time. There is no definitive list to go quoting from, and each team has their own list of BPA. Hindsight is a very different thing. Go ahead and judge the picks after a bit of time all you want, it doesn't change the subjective nature of BPA at the time. Every player develops differently as well based on opportunity and organizational coaching talent.

So how do you suggest evaluating good drafting? How do you determine which scouts are the best?

Is there a way to determine whether EDM drafts better than VAN?

I think you have to look at how they rate guys pre-draft vs. what actually happened.

From what I remember the Canucks staff ended up middle of the road relative to the public lists (IIRC it was CSS>Mckeens>Canucks>Bob>ISS or something like that for the range from 15 to 5 years ago).

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Heh, now that you mention it - yeah. The only times we've picked consensus - we've perfectly targeted "Meh".

Let's do more of that going forward!

We have yet to make a slam dunk consensus pick in the top-10, so hard to say. All of those meh picks were in the mid to late 20's, where there will almost never be a consensus.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
It is easy to be the critic. If the prospect works out everyone celebrates and no on cares or remembers who was right or wrong. If the prospect fails one can act like he or she is some kind of expert. Win/win for the critics.

I would say it's difficult to be right. Forget criticism. Forget unwarranted optimism. Is the person right? Is the data/homework correct? Those are the only things that should matter. Beyond that, I couldn't care less if a poster criticizes every single aspect of this organization. Or, if someone is unduly optimistic with everything management does. It still comes down to: Can you prove it?

I'm not sure I can agree with your analysis or conclusions. Despite the fact that it was a weak draft, the Sedins were top 3 picks. How many Canucks fans thought the Sedins will probably end up as 2nd line players but they have 1st line upsides? How many of us thought that Juolevi will likely be a 2nd pair Dman but has 1st pairing upside?

Essentially all of us (old enough) were expecting the Sedins to be all star players. In terms of their draft +1 season, the Sedins did not disappoint, but their early NHL performance did make like 90+% of us belief that they would never be 1st line players. Personally, I am convinced that had the NHL not changed the rules and it was still very much clutch and grab, the Sedins would not have been the players they ended up being.

I don't see why the Sedins would have more leeway. They were expected to come in and quickly develop into stars. Brian Burke wanted them in the NHL at 18. You talk about peers as if it matters a lot. Havlat is a peer of the Sedins and he was a much better NHL player until his game was ruined by injuries and the Sedins became the Sedins.

Juolevi was never expected to come in and quickly develop into a star player. I don't know about you, but I wasn't expecting him to be a top 4 Dman for the Canucks starting last season. He wasn't considered the most NHL ready Dman in the draft.

Relatively speaking, if you ask what would be more disappointing for Canucks fans: the Sedins not being average 2nd line players in their draft +4 season or Juolevi not being an average top 4 Dman in his draft + 4 season, I think you would find more fans disappointed in the Sedins.

There's a lot here that is outside the scope of the original argument. So I will re-iterate the argument once more:

PoM is making a false equivalency between the negative reaction Juolevi is garnering pre-NHL and the negative reaction the Sedins garnered when they first came over to the NHL. It's false because before the Sedins stepped foot on NHL ice, they were looking back at two fantastic years in the SEL. Juolevi, to this point, has nothing like this on his resume. Not even close. So I am supposing that a savvy draftist would have (back then) recognized this fact and would have afforded the Sedins more leeway with their early transition. They still had the markers of future top end players. By contrast, the questions with Juolevi were there throughout his draft year and beyond. These aren't comparable situations.

Next, you say that you never expected Juolevi to be a top4 Dman on the Canucks starting last season. I would say that that's... very convenient. I would also say that you were a big proponent of this pick and defended it tooth and nail when Tkachuk was brought up. How's it looking for you so far? Juolevi was never expected to quickly develop? Are you kidding me? He was a top5 pick. Top5 picks are supposed to be excellent prospects that advance above their peers. How low were your expectations of him that this all going according to plan for you? I guess you must have expected Tkachuk to leave him in his wake as well?

The peer group is everything. These guys are drafted in a class of similarly aged players. They are judged against those players, constantly, and throughout their careers. Why wouldn't it matter? Actually, you said "matters a lot". So do you mean to say that peer groups matter, just not to the level that I think they do? If so, what is your take on how Juolevi is currently perceived among his peer group? Just curious.

Last edited:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It's just hard to put into words how frustrating this whole back injury/surgery situation is. For this team, and this prospect especially. Really hate to see back issues creeping into a player at such a young age. More than that though, even in the shorter-term...it's a complete derailment of whatever Juolevi might've been building towards for this year. It's a huge amount of missed time, adding a ton of rehabilitation work, while contributing to missed normal training and conditioning time. For a prospect where that's one of the biggest stumbling blocks. Plus a bunch of time wading back in until he can (hopefully) fully trust it again afterward. Certainly isn't going to help with the other biggest issue of getting him to feel comfortable engaging physically and battling with more consistency.

Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad