Prospect Info: Olli Juolevi Discussion XXXIIII (Post #755)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcel

Sep 24, 2015
given evidence X, Y, and Z, and this is cause for concern. This is not looking like a good pick right now.

I think most sensible fans would take issue with the notion that there is any evidence to suggest that this pick will not pan out.

For those who think they have evidence X,Y, and Z, well..............Ummm how to say it nicely?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Pretty much. The equivalent would be me going into the Granlund thread and posting "So he is an All Star based on a couple of good games late in the season playing with the Sedins... is this a joke?"

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I think most sensible fans would take issue with the notion that there is any evidence to suggest that this pick will not pan out.

For those who think they have evidence X,Y, and Z, well..............Ummm how to say it nicely?

Watching players play and not perform well is not "evidence" in the context of a developing hockey player?

Well shut this place down then, we're done here.

Obviously it's not evidence in the legal sense but in the context of discussing prospects it is pretty much the gold standard.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Ummm no. You couldn't be more off base actually.

The op mischaracterized arguments raising concerns about Juolevi. I haven't seen anyone call him a bust, in fact, most here think he'll be an NHLer (to varying degrees).

not sure i follow the relationship between the two clauses in your sentence. are you saying that people are not calling him a bust because they project he will play in the nhl to some varying degree? by that logic, would yakupov not be a bust since he is an nhl'er? wickenheiser and lawton played 500 games.

pip said:
Furthermore, analysis of Juolevi is not based on one prospect tournament, it's a culmination of everything he's done since being drafted. To claim that any negative views of OJ are based solely upon the Youngstars Tournament is frankly ****ing insulting to all those who are engaging in real discussion.

so would you say there is no readily identifiable uptick of negative energy about juolevi in this thread during and following the young stars tournament?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Pretty much. The equivalent would be me going into the Granlund thread and posting "So he is an All Star based on a couple of good games late in the season playing with the Sedins... is this a joke?"

i think i could probably find a post like that in the granlund thread. and i have no problem with it being there. as someone who tries to be positive about granlund i certainly am not insulted and defensive by someone calling me if they think i am overdoing it.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
not sure i follow the relationship between the two clauses in your sentence. are you saying that people are not calling him a bust because they project he will play in the nhl to some varying degree? by that logic, would yakupov not be a bust since he is an nhl'er? wickenheiser and lawton played 500 games.

so would you say there is no readily identifiable uptick of negative energy about juolevi in this thread during and following the young stars tournament?

An uptick is not the same as being the basis. If it were strongly out of line with his post-draft performance then that would be different but it's not.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
i think i could probably find a post like that in the granlund thread. and i have no problem with it being there. as someone who tries to be positive about granlund i certainly am not insulted and defensive by someone calling me if they think i am overdoing it.

Then you would be a rare exception. Most people would find it a disingenuous way to engage in a discussion.

Marcel

Sep 24, 2015
Watching players play and not perform well is not "evidence" in the context of a developing hockey player?

You're making my point if you are suggesting that you've watched enough of his play to form an opinion.

Maybe you think watching 3 games of organized shinny where only a handful of players will ever make the NHL gives you a glimpse into his future?

The better answer would be to tell us what you've learned in the very brief time you've seen him play that tells you his natural skill sets are not transferable to the NHL.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Islanders for one with and Nino, Strome and Reinhart

Its not hard to go look up draft lists.

Does it suck it is happening to us ya, we are not the first fans who have had to deal with this though.

I don't think anyone really said other teams haven't struggled at the draft table. It was find some organizations that did that and manged to be at all successful. I think you'll find the ones that managed to have some success or like the Ducks major success still managed to find big time game changers elswhere in the draft.

Despite how the prospect pool might look now I'm not convinced they have those game changers and so missing on those picks hurts.

The Islanders have missed the playoffs in what 7 or 8 of the last 10 years? I think they are more of an example of what not to do for many things. Also the drafts you bring up for them...Strome sort of a miss. I don't know if Neiderreiter is as he's a top 6 player. NOt a complete whiff anyways. And prior to those drafts they picked 4 guys with over 400 games in 2008, another 4 with over 300 or closing in on 300 in 2009.

Last edited:

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Man you are all over the place with links today, though I really liked that writeup.

Serious question. Can you suggest a better way of doing this? As you may have deduced, I'm a fan of information consolidation.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Serious question. Can you suggest a better way of doing this? As you may have deduced, I'm a fan of information consolidation.

No, you took it the wrong way. I meant I liked that you were doing it.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
You're making my point if you are suggesting that you've watched enough of his play to form an opinion.

Maybe you think watching 3 games of organized shinny where only a handful of players will ever make the NHL gives you a glimpse into his future?

The better answer would be to tell us what you've learned in the very brief time you've seen him play that tells you his natural skill sets are not transferable to the NHL.

Umm may e go back and read the thread from the past season? It was talked about his play, his demotion off the first pp unit.

Hell MS had a great little write up a few pages back, have you watched him play?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

1) he had a very disappointing season in the OHL.

2) he had a poor WJC.

3) he had a poor prospects camp highlighting the same issues he was having in junior last year.

4) his offensive game hasn't really developed since being drafted, and his junior team took him off the #1 PP unit and traded for a replacement.

5) he shows continual and ongoing issues engaging physically and fails to get in front of guys taking the puck to his net. Constant lazy, soft stickchecks on guys skating by him to create scoring chances. This is an issue in his play which was repeatedly highlighted last year and showed up again - badly - in Penticton.

I think this will probably still be a decent NHL player. But his chances of being an impact top-pairing defender - which is what you'd damn well better be getting at #5 overall - took a substantial hit based on his mediocre performance over the past year. And if you're claiming otherwise, your head is stuck in the sand wearing rose-coloured glasses.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008

2) he had a poor WJC.

3) he had a poor prospects camp highlighting the same issues he was having in junior last year.

4) his offensive game hasn't really developed since being drafted, and his junior team took him off the #1 PP unit and traded for a replacement.

5) he shows continual and ongoing issues engaging physically and fails to get in front of guys taking the puck to his net. Constant lazy, soft stickchecks on guys skating by him to create scoring chances. This is an issue in his play which was repeatedly highlighted last year and showed up again - badly - in Penticton.

I think this will probably still be a decent NHL player. But his chances of being an impact top-pairing defender - which is what you'd damn well better be getting at #5 overall - took a substantial hit based on his mediocre performance over the past year. And if you're claiming otherwise, your head is stuck in the sand wearing rose-coloured glasses.

So that article on canucks army was wrong?

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

So no OEL?

Who are current / past comparables?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
So that article on canucks army was wrong?

If you're having to go into advanced analytics to show why a #5 overall pick having a 40-point CHL season isn't that bad, you can't see the forest for the trees.

A player taken where Juolevi was should be DOMINATING in the CHL - as Provorov did the previous year - regardless of whether or not he's playing tough defensive minutes.

Is he a good CHL defender? Of course! But every #1 pick is a very good CHL player and most won't be impact players in the NHL. Being 'good' in a shutdown role isn't good enough for a player drafted in that position. Guys who project as impact players destroy lower levels.

Absolutely nobody is saying he was a bad player for London last year, and not surprisingly their numbers don't disagree with that. His transition game and outlet pass is outstanding and of course he's a good player at that level. But he wasn't 'great' and wasn't nearly at the level he should have been at, and nowhere near where guys like Provorov/Werensky/McAvoy were at in their draft+1 seasons.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008

But, you did say this.

Now, he put up similar numbers as from the year before but played a different game due to being used as the shut down defenceman...is it not safe to say keeping his numbers steady while changing focus on the ice is not to be expected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad