Olli Jokinen

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
The Jet's have Jokinen playing the point on the PP where he is a disaster waiting to happen.

Despite Jokinen's dismal play (3 goals, 2 assists in last 23 games and a -11) the Jets are winning, Jokinen has been pretty good defensively but a $4.5M per season he isn't supposed to be here as a defensive forward. Guy isn't much of a play maker or a great passer for that matter, heard he was actually pretty good at one time.:sarcasm:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The Jet's have Jokinen playing the point on the PP where he is a disaster waiting to happen.

Despite Jokinen's dismal play (3 goals, 2 assists in last 23 games and a -11) the Jets are winning, Jokinen has been pretty good defensively but a $4.5M per season he isn't supposed to be here as a defensive forward. Guy isn't much of a play maker or a great passer for that matter, heard he was actually pretty good at one time.:sarcasm:
His playmaking actually wasn't a problem here except maybe he tried to force too many passes. He was excellent centering the second line in Calgary where he played with Glencross. They were often used as the shutdown line and Jokinen still produced 60 points.

I haven't watched the Jets at all this year, so I can't speak on what's different for him, but he is a much better player than his stats currently indicate.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

The point was where Joker was most effective on the PP. He was not good on Calgary's PP at all down low/halfboards; when he was putting up 90 point seasons it was because he was raking in PP points from the point with his previous teams (or so we were told).

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
His playmaking actually wasn't a problem here except maybe he tried to force too many passes. He was excellent centering the second line in Calgary where he played with Glencross. They were often used as the shutdown line and Jokinen still produced 60 points.

I haven't watched the Jets at all this year, so I can't speak on what's different for him, but he is a much better player than his stats currently indicate.

Its actually really interesting to say this but its possible that Glenny was carrying Jokinen that season. Glenny had 26 goals, howmany of Joker's assists came on those? Howmany of Joker's goals came from Glenny's assists?

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Its actually really interesting to say this but its possible that Glenny was carrying Jokinen that season. Glenny had 26 goals, howmany of Joker's assists came on those? Howmany of Joker's goals came from Glenny's assists?

Jokinen was jumped from line to line like all centremen on this team. What's been funny about the Flames over the past 10 years is that Iginla has played with every centermen on the team over the course of the game.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Jokinen was jumped from line to line like all centremen on this team. What's been funny about the Flames over the past 10 years is that Iginla has played with every centermen on the team over the course of the game.

Yet his best seasons came with Conroy, whom arguably is a good career 2nd line center compared to this first liner waffle maker :P

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002

I don't know if I would say that GlenX carried the line, but he sure had the ability to get Jokinen going, which has been his issue for a long time. There were times that line was our best line for good streches.
I thought he would do better statisically than he is for sure.

Kaptah

Jul 15, 2007
Jokinen was pretty devastated when Calgary didn't renew his contract, and this hasn't been a good year for him so far. But he managed a goal last night, and is on a team that's a lock for 3th in the east, instead of being 14th in the west.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2013/03/27/jets-jokinen-breaks-scoring-drought

"Both he and I would like him to probably score a bit more, but I'm not going to start adding added pressure on him," Jets head coach Claude Noel told reporters after the game. "He's a reliable guy, he's a good teammate, he does a lot of good things both on and off the ice that help us. His heart is in the right place. He scored a big goal for us and he helps us win."

Last edited:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Always liked Jokinen. Best center Calgary had in a long time. Most of the year the Flames played with 1 natural center on the top three lines. People hated him for some reason (Sutter factor?).

I'm happy he's having a better time playing for a team that can win a game of two. Also happy he didn't resign, because Calgary'd still be spinning wheels instead of the immanent rebuild.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Always liked Jokinen. Best center Calgary had in a long time. Most of the year the Flames played with 1 natural center on the top three lines. People hated him for some reason (Sutter factor?).

I'm happy he's having a better time playing for a team that can win a game of two. Also happy he didn't resign, because Calgary'd still be spinning wheels instead of the immanent rebuild.

Conroy says hi.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

Nah. I was never a fan of his. In fact, the moment I heard he was acquired (the first go around), I posted a comment here stating that I hoped he'd be moved at the draft, even though I knew the chances of that were unlikely.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Yet his best seasons came with Conroy, whom arguably is a good career 2nd line center compared to this first liner waffle maker :P

No, his best season came in his physical prime when it didn't matter who was is center; he could still dominate games

We get that you hate eating crow, but you must. Jokinen did very well for us last year because when he gets going, he's a good player. This blind hate is becoming delusional.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Conroy says hi.

Really? Fringe 2nd line center, mostly a good shut down 3rd line center says hi?
Conroy got to enjoy playing on the same line as one of the best players of the modern NHL in his prime.

If I remember correctly, he never broke 50 points until he played with Jarome, did it for a few years; went to LA and had one good season there, came back and never really had any kind of monster year; I know for a fact he never broke 50 again on his return to Calgary.

Kaptah

Jul 15, 2007
IF the Flames had extracted Jokinen's contract, and IF Jokinen would have continued to click with Glencross, the Flames would have a pretty good trading chip in their hands. Instead they have Cervenka...

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
IF the Flames had extracted Jokinen's contract, and IF Jokinen would have continued to click with Glencross, the Flames would have a pretty good trading chip in their hands. Instead they have Cervenka...

Would prefer Cervenka he is starting to find his game 3 points in 3 games same amount of points Jokinen has in his last 8 and Jokinen refused to waive his ntc most likely would have gotten one again so no Cervenka>Jokinen.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Really? Fringe 2nd line center, mostly a good shut down 3rd line center says hi?
Conroy got to enjoy playing on the same line as one of the best players of the modern NHL in his prime.

If I remember correctly, he never broke 50 points until he played with Jarome, did it for a few years; went to LA and had one good season there, came back and never really had any kind of monster year; I know for a fact he never broke 50 again on his return to Calgary.

Well more some of iggys best seasons also came playing with Conroy was what I referred to. I mean for all of jokers vaunted abilities, he nevr clicked with Iggy.

Quite happy joker is gone and not surprised he isn't putting up points. One of the most frustrating guys I've ever had to watch. All the physical abilities in the world but not enough toolbox for them to fit.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

I'm sure the Flames could land Jokinen back with a 2nd round pick, his 1G, 2A in the past 18 games and team worst -18 won't be missed by the Jets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad