Olli Jokinen starts his coaching career. Longterm goal is to coach in the NHL

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
The news out of Finland is that Olli Jokinen will start coaching in the Finish hockey league: IL:n tiedot: NHL-legenda Olli Jokinen on nousemassa SM-liigaan päävalmentajaksi
Second article: Viisi seuraa halusi Olli Jokisen valmentajakseen – NHL-legenda paljastaa, miksi valitsi todella yllättäen Mikkelin

From the article: "Jokinen on aiemmin sanonut julkisuudessa, että haluaa valmennusurallaan eteenpäin, aina NHL:ään asti." Jokinen has previously said in public that he wants to advance in his coaching career, all the way to the NHL.

This is quite exciting news for all of us Olli Jokinen fans out there. Would you be willing to give Olli Jokinen a shot at coaching your team?

The articles also reveal some interesting news about what Olli's been up to since he quit the NHL. Apparently he's been involved in hockey in somethng called South Florida Hockey Academy and he's also been training his coaching skills with working with younger players. Jokinen says he's done his homework so he's ready to start coaching full time.

Seems like Jokinen was also offered a job as an assistant coach for a NHL team a few years back. From the article: "Jokinen sai jo pari vuotta sitten tarjouksen NHL-joukkueen apuvalmentajan pestistä. Sain ensimmäiset yhteydenotot ammattilaisjoukkueilta, kun olin valmentanut akatemiassa kaksi vuotta. En kokenut olevani valmis. Koin silloin, että saan paremman koulutuksen ja kehityksen junioreiden parissa, Jokinen kertoo." A few years ago, Jokinen received an offer to be a NHL assistant coach. I got my first contacts from professional teams after coaching at the Academy for two years. I didn't feel ready. I felt then that I would get a better education and development among Juniors, Jokinen says.

Coaching in the KHL was also close to happening. From the article: "Mulla oli jo sopimus KHL:ään, mutta sopimuksen tehnyt seurapomo kai pidätettiin. Se soppari meni siinä, Jokinen paljastaa." I already had a contract with the KHL, but I guess the club boss who signed the contract was arrested. That deal went south so to say, Jokinen reveals."

Jokinen also talks about the fact that there's a lot of people who wants him to fail as there is a pretty negative stereotype about him amongst a lot of Finnish people after his early success when he was largely personified by this iconic picture:
a7c4a124e2ff4c5e80c700ed3ffb375a.jpg

And following Olli Jokinen closely through the years myself I know that there's a lot of hate for the guy as he just rubbed a lot of people the wrong way with his iconic looks:
upload_2021-2-15_20-34-50.jpeg

8466140.jpg

olli-jokinen-2015-1412.jpg

olli-jokinen-2015-36.jpg

And even more iconic facial expressions:
tappelu1.jpg

4b9565967703bb5fe563d75d965bd7a41270afffe7ae095ef4e0d2f456955908.gif

Olli also reveals that two coaches in particlular made an impression on him. Brent Sutter in Calgary and Paul Maurice in Winnipeg. From the article:
"
Brent Sutter Calgaryssä ja Paul Maurice Winnipegissä ovat mun innostajia. Sutter laittoi mun ajatukset pelistä aika paljon uusiksi. Maurice puolestaan rupesi työntämään mulle sitä ajatusta, että minusta voisi tulla valmentaja. Hän käski minua ajattelemaan päivittäisiä asioita valmentajan kantilta.

– Hän myös puhui paljon pelin ja valmennuksen muutoksista ja siitä, miten hänen on pitänyt muuttua valmentajana. Maurice antoi mulle sen mallin, että kaikki pelaajat ovat yhdenvertaisia, myös viidennen kentän äijät. Rehellisyys oli hänelle kaikki kaikessa. Maurice myös vitsaili mun kaa ja sanoi että ainakin olisin parempi valmentaja kuin hän. "Mää oon täys pelle tässä hommassa. Kukaan ei ole hävinnyt yhtä paljon otteluita kuin minä NHL:ssä. Mää en ole vaan tuhonnut sinun pelaaja uran mutta olen myös pilannut yksi kaikkien aikojen parasta maalintekijää tekemällä hänestä todella keskinkertaisen kahden suunnan pelaajan." Olli muisti Mauricen vitsaillen.

Brent Sutter in Calgary and Paul Maurice in Winnipeg are my inspirers. Sutter reinvented how I think the game of hockey. Maurice, on the other hand, began to put the idea in my head that I could become a coach. He told me to think about daily things from the coach’s point of view.
- He also talked a lot about the changes in the game and coaching and how he has had to change as a coach. Maurice gave me the model that all players are equal, including the fifth line guys. Honesty was everything to him.

So what do you think about all of this? Would Olli make a good coach? At least he can pull off the coach look nowadays too:
ee4a3dbf20408a19bb71e9ea159d5403.jpg

And I wouldn't mind if he kept this bad ass beard as well so it would give him some character and earn him some respect amongst the players:
b010b5b45a7b341c81f3d8800c7139c0

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
Olli wants to coach in the NHL? Best Yoke I've heard today.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
The guy strikes me as a window-licking you-know-what, I wouldn't let him coach anything
The guy clearly said he had opportunities to coach but turned them down so he could study and gain experience beforehand. Then we have guys like you who make stupid worthless comments like this but think they're holier-than-thou. You wouldn't let him coach anything? Who are you? What are your credentials?

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
He was a very solid player with a good head for the game. Not sure how well he can set up systems and get the most out of his players, but I wish him luck!

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
The news out of Finland is that Olli Jokinen will start coaching in the Finish hockey league: IL:n tiedot: NHL-legenda Olli Jokinen on nousemassa SM-liigaan päävalmentajaksi
Second article: Viisi seuraa halusi Olli Jokisen valmentajakseen – NHL-legenda paljastaa, miksi valitsi todella yllättäen Mikkelin

From the article: "Jokinen on aiemmin sanonut julkisuudessa, että haluaa valmennusurallaan eteenpäin, aina NHL:ään asti." Jokinen has previously said in public that he wants to advance in his coaching career, all the way to the NHL.

This is quite exciting news for all of us Olli Jokinen fans out there. Would you be willing to give Olli Jokinen a shot at coaching your team?

The articles also reveal some interesting news about what Olli's been up to since he quit the NHL. Apparently he's been involved in hockey in somethng called South Florida Hockey Academy and he's also been training his coaching skills with working with younger players. Jokinen says he's done his homework so he's ready to start coaching full time.

Seems like Jokinen was also offered a job as an assistant coach for a NHL team a few years back. From the article: "Jokinen sai jo pari vuotta sitten tarjouksen NHL-joukkueen apuvalmentajan pestistä. Sain ensimmäiset yhteydenotot ammattilaisjoukkueilta, kun olin valmentanut akatemiassa kaksi vuotta. En kokenut olevani valmis. Koin silloin, että saan paremman koulutuksen ja kehityksen junioreiden parissa, Jokinen kertoo." A few years ago, Jokinen received an offer to be a NHL assistant coach. I got my first contacts from professional teams after coaching at the Academy for two years. I didn't feel ready. I felt then that I would get a better education and development among Juniors, Jokinen says.

Coaching in the KHL was also close to happening. From the article: "Mulla oli jo sopimus KHL:ään, mutta sopimuksen tehnyt seurapomo kai pidätettiin. Se soppari meni siinä, Jokinen paljastaa." I already had a contract with the KHL, but I guess the club boss who signed the contract was arrested. That deal went south so to say, Jokinen reveals."

Jokinen also talks about the fact that there's a lot of people who wants him to fail as there is a pretty negative stereotype about him amongst a lot of Finnish people after his early success when he was largely personified by this iconic picture:
a7c4a124e2ff4c5e80c700ed3ffb375a.jpg

And following Olli Jokinen closely through the years myself I know that there's a lot of hate for the guy as he just rubbed a lot of people the wrong way with his iconic looks:
View attachment 396590

8466140.jpg

olli-jokinen-2015-1412.jpg

olli-jokinen-2015-36.jpg

And even more iconic facial expressions:
tappelu1.jpg

4b9565967703bb5fe563d75d965bd7a41270afffe7ae095ef4e0d2f456955908.gif

Olli also reveals that two coaches in particlular made an impression on him. Brent Sutter in Calgary and Paul Maurice in Winnipeg. From the article:
"
Brent Sutter Calgaryssä ja Paul Maurice Winnipegissä ovat mun innostajia. Sutter laittoi mun ajatukset pelistä aika paljon uusiksi. Maurice puolestaan rupesi työntämään mulle sitä ajatusta, että minusta voisi tulla valmentaja. Hän käski minua ajattelemaan päivittäisiä asioita valmentajan kantilta.

– Hän myös puhui paljon pelin ja valmennuksen muutoksista ja siitä, miten hänen on pitänyt muuttua valmentajana. Maurice antoi mulle sen mallin, että kaikki pelaajat ovat yhdenvertaisia, myös viidennen kentän äijät. Rehellisyys oli hänelle kaikki kaikessa. Maurice myös vitsaili mun kaa ja sanoi että ainakin olisin parempi valmentaja kuin hän. "Mää oon täys pelle tässä hommassa. Kukaan ei ole hävinnyt yhtä paljon otteluita kuin minä NHL:ssä. Mää en ole vaan tuhonnut sinun pelaaja uran mutta olen myös pilannut yksi kaikkien aikojen parasta maalintekijää tekemällä hänestä todella keskinkertaisen kahden suunnan pelaajan." Olli muisti Mauricen vitsaillen.

Brent Sutter in Calgary and Paul Maurice in Winnipeg are my inspirers. Sutter reinvented how I think the game of hockey. Maurice, on the other hand, began to put the idea in my head that I could become a coach. He told me to think about daily things from the coach’s point of view.
- He also talked a lot about the changes in the game and coaching and how he has had to change as a coach. Maurice gave me the model that all players are equal, including the fifth line guys. Honesty was everything to him.

So what do you think about all of this? Would Olli make a good coach? At least he can pull off the coach look nowadays too:
ee4a3dbf20408a19bb71e9ea159d5403.jpg

And I wouldn't mind if he kept this bad ass beard as well so it would give him some character and earn him some respect amongst the players:
b010b5b45a7b341c81f3d8800c7139c0

Strange how all the players seem to like Maurice
I like Olli though, I'd take him over Paul right now

lawrence

May 19, 2012
He has a passion for it let him try. He's played in the NHL before at the highest level and good luck to him.

Reactions: Riddum

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
I met him at a nightclub on Long Island way back when. Music, dancing, everyone drinking and Olli was just standing there by himself. I went up and spoke with him and asked him if he was going home for the summer (was night after they played their last game of season). He seemed like a fish out of water, nice fella. Was the year I met and talked with Dave Scatchard a bunch, one heck of a human being.

Wish we had cell phones back then. I never asked Dave or any Islander I met for any autograph, felt like I was better off not acting star struck at the time.

Greatest Hockey Legends.com: Dave Scatchard: Making A Difference On The Ice And Off

HOCKEY; An Emotional Scatchard Powers Islanders (Published 2000)

Last edited:

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Along the road the guy's evolved probably more than any other hockey person I can remember. Both as a person and a professional. Astonishing really. He's clearly chosen his path and has all the commitment and dedication in the world.

One can only watch in awe and wish him all the best. Happy trails Olli.

Reactions: Royale With Cheese

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad