Prospect Info: Oliver Moore/Dylan Larkin

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
Oliver Moore keeps getting comparisons to Larkin, and he looks like a potential pick at 9. My question is, could the Wings win a Cup with 'two Larkins' (if he were to be drafted and live up to that comparison, of course)?

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
I think it is possible, if, as Nick mentioned, the future blue line lives up to the hype and if you happen to hit on some top flight wingers, then why not?

Wouldn't hurt if Moore blew past his perceived ceiling too.

ridilon

Sep 14, 2017
Oliver Moore keeps getting comparisons to Larkin, and he looks like a potential pick at 9. My question is, could the Wings win a Cup with 'two Larkins' (if he were to be drafted and live up to that comparison, of course)?
Blues won with O'Reilly and Schenn as their top 2 centers. Both are good comparisons to Larkin.

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
Larkin - Moore - Kasper - Copp/Lombardi seems like really good C depth
add in wingers like Debrincat, raymond, Ras, and D like Seider, Edvinsson, Wallinder, thats a good start

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
the Wings drafting ANOTHER Larkin type in the top 10 instead of someone with a higher ceiling after just doing that with Kasper last year would be so disappointing

Reactions: norrisnick

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I don't think Yzerman will take guy At 9 with questionable hockey IQ

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I think that if we draft Moore and he turns into Larkin, you're ecstatic with that result and we can totally win cups with them as our top two centers (especially if Kasper is then some sort of elite 3C or a good top 6 winger).

However I would be disappointed with Moore at 9. I love a guy that can skate and thus had Moore as an option at 9 a few months ago, but I've moved him down the more I've watched him. I'd be cool with him at 17, but he's not going to be my first choice there either. I don't feel like Moore has the overall game for Larkin to be a likely outcome. Besides his speed, I have his shot as his only + attribute. I think you're getting a guy that will skate himself into trouble and has neither the hands, smarts or passing to open up space for using his shot. So he'll end up blowing by everyone to the outside and funneling an off-angle shot on goal most of the time. I think you're probably getting a solid 3C that can skate and score the odd goal, but not consistently impact the game offensively.

To be fair, I would have said a lot of these same things about Larkin whom I viewed very similarly but with better size, smarts and hands but a worse shot. I'm not sure that I really learned my lesson from Larkin. I question how predictable him becoming this good was. It sort of seems to me that he met or exceeded expectations in every way, and I'm not sure I'd bet on that happening again. Maybe I still underrate the impact that elite skating has. Maybe I still don't give "you had reduced opportunity because there were elite players in front of you in the lineup" enough credence for explaining good but not great numbers. Maybe I prioritize a guy being able to make a creative pass too highly. Maybe I care too much about a guy showing an ability to anticipate the play and tilt the ice in his team's favor.

Reactions: simonedvinsson

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
the Wings drafting ANOTHER Larkin type in the top 10 instead of someone with a higher ceiling after just doing that with Kasper last year would be so disappointing
How many players in this class are you expecting to turn out better than Larkin? I am curious as to where you draw that line.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
How many players in this class are you expecting to turn out better than Larkin? I am curious as to where you draw that line.

I have no idea, probably like 5-15

the Wings need better players than Larkin though, there's some risk involved in taking swings picking 9th sure but they need to try if they want to be a good team

avoiding higher draft picks and then also going after safer picks is basically shooting yourself in the foot and then instead of going to the hospital doing it again

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I think that if we draft Moore and he turns into Larkin, you're ecstatic with that result and we can totally win cups with them as our top two centers (especially if Kasper is then some sort of elite 3C or a good top 6 winger).

However I would be disappointed with Moore at 9. I love a guy that can skate and thus had Moore as an option at 9 a few months ago, but I've moved him down the more I've watched him. I'd be cool with him at 17, but he's not going to be my first choice there either. I don't feel like Moore has the overall game for Larkin to be a likely outcome. Besides his speed, I have his shot as his only + attribute. I think you're getting a guy that will skate himself into trouble and has neither the hands, smarts or passing to open up space for using his shot. So he'll end up blowing by everyone to the outside and funneling an off-angle shot on goal most of the time. I think you're probably getting a solid 3C that can skate and score the odd goal, but not consistently impact the game offensively.

To be fair, I would have said a lot of these same things about Larkin whom I viewed very similarly but with better size, smarts and hands but a worse shot. I'm not sure that I really learned my lesson from Larkin. I question how predictable him becoming this good was. It sort of seems to me that he met or exceeded expectations in every way, and I'm not sure I'd bet on that happening again. Maybe I still underrate the impact that elite skating has. Maybe I still don't give "you had reduced opportunity because there were elite players in front of you in the lineup" enough credence for explaining good but not great numbers. Maybe I prioritize a guy being able to make a creative pass too highly. Maybe I care too much about a guy showing an ability to anticipate the play and tilt the ice in his team's favor.
I support the argument that + skating is a necessity for playing center at the NHL level. I dismiss a ton of prospects as centers on that point alone. However, I think Moore is almost an extreme example of the sufficiency question skating raises. It is great that you are able to transport the puck really well and close gaps defensively, but you also need to make decisions with the puck that will increase quality scoring opportunities and not result in cheap turnovers. The puck will always move faster than the skater and you can't really manipulate the flow of play without passing the puck well and often. I think Larkin did a better job of passing the puck in the defensive and neutral zones than Moore does currently. In the end there is a super high chance in my eyes that he lands on the wing in the NHL even though a lot of traits suggest he should be a center.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I have no idea, probably like 5-15

the Wings need better players than Larkin though, there's some risk involved in taking swings picking 9th sure but they need to try if they want to be a good team

avoiding higher draft picks and then also going after safer picks is basically shooting yourself in the foot and then instead of going to the hospital doing it again
The draft isn't that binary. There is a ton of room between "safe" (whatever the hell that means) and "swing for the fences" (whatever the f*** that means).

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
If Moore is Larkin I'd be very happy. I don't think Moore is Larkin, though.

I will say I follow prospects way less now than I did when KH was GM.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
His hockey IQ according to NHL scouts sounds like he has negative hockey IQ.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
No. This team needs 20 Larkins, including the 2 fastest goalies on the planet. Only then do I think we have a chance. We'll probably need 3 spares as well because the refs never call penalties when a Larkin gets cheapshotted.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
His hockey IQ according to NHL scouts sounds like he has negative hockey IQ.
I think it's overdone. He's a fast skater with slow wingers.

He'll probably fall in between Helm and Larkin in that regards. Aside from not having hands, Helm really didn't have much hockey IQ either.

Edit: I'm actually hoping he falls to #17, at that point I think it would be a no brainer. I can see the case for other prospects at #9.

Last edited:
Reactions: flychairman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad