Prospect Info: Oliver Kylington (2nd round 2015, 60th pick overall)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Normally I would say AHL, but I think we have quite a few guys down there now don't we? Might get more playing time staying in Sweden.

I really agree with what Loob said, he said get him signed and over to North America ASAP. He feels that if he put under a specific developmental plan, that he will be playing in the NHL within 2-3 seasons. Right now, he really needs someone to help him with adding strength and learning the defensive side of the game better. If he comes over here now, the Flames will be able to have a much better hands on approach with him. He's very talented, Loob feels that he learn the game here extremely fast.

Aug 21, 2014
He could always play 1 year in the CHL then go to he AHL or 1 year in AIK + 1 year in CHL, then come play in the AHL as a 20 year old.

If he get's drafted by a CHL team, hopefully it's a team in the WHL such as Seattle.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
CHL import draft is later today. Should get drafted, maybe.

Starts in a couple minutes.

They only thing you have to question is if Kylington wants to give up a paid gig in Sweden to come to Canada/US and play for next to nothing.

The Sens hid Karlsson in Sweden for an additional year after his draft, it's not the worst thing in the world if he stays over the for another year; especially if they can stabilize where he's playing and ensuring he's getting minutes.

TkachuckNotTkaczuk

Jan 21, 2015
Seattle
Looking forward to updates from development camp. I have a feeling that in 5 years this kid will be looked upon as the biggest steal of the draft and rightly should have gone top 10. :yo:

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
He could always play 1 year in the CHL then go to he AHL or 1 year in AIK + 1 year in CHL, then come play in the AHL as a 20 year old.

If he get's drafted by a CHL team, hopefully it's a team in the WHL such as Seattle.

I don't think the CHL is a good idea for him at all. It's probably the least defensively-oriented league he could play in.

Mar 31, 2005
East Coast
True, but I think having him pro (ECHL or AHL; preferably AHL if they can slot him in) is the best combination of circumstances for him.

They have the benefit of him attending prospect camps, right? I imagine that will be used to gauge his AHL-readiness. Loob is right, he needs stability and structure (and minutes, of course). Both the AHL and Brandon are great options where they can provide that. It will depend on whether or not he shows enough to warrant a spot in the AHL on a crowded blueline.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
He won't play in the CHL. He's playing pro in Sweden and making money, he's not going to give that up for the CHL. It's AHL, NHL (extremely unlikely) or Sweden for him.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He won't play in the CHL. He's playing pro in Sweden and making money, he's not going to give that up for the CHL. It's AHL, NHL (extremely unlikely) or Sweden for him.
So was Backlund and he still came over.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015

alex716

Jan 10, 2014
I'm sure that Kylington will get a role in AIK. It's the second highest league in Sweden, so it's a lot easier to get some ice time. Of course it's up to him too, but AIK doesn't have that many offensive defencemen, so I'm quite confident that he's going to get enough ice time with PP next year.
He got around 20-22 mins per game with AIK last season.
He would earn a regular spot in your AHL team's lineup this fall, if he got the opportunity. I don't think him staying for another year in Sweden would be catastrophic, but it would be a mistake if Calgary ignored him for 2 or more years.

Swedish teams are focused on winning. AHL teams are focused on developing their players. For players like him, who have a lot of tools, but a lot of holes in their game, the AHL is a better fit.

Aug 21, 2014
He got around 20-22 mins per game with AIK last season.
He would earn a regular spot in your AHL team's lineup this fall, if he got the opportunity. I don't think him staying for another year in Sweden would be catastrophic, but it would be a mistake if Calgary ignored him for 2 or more years.

Swedish teams are focused on winning. AHL teams are focused on developing their players. For players like him, who have a lot of tools, but a lot of holes in their game, the AHL is a better fit.

So win a Championship then come to N.A. I like that idea.

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC
I'd disagree. He would just rely on his skating and not progress in the defensive department. Playing against adults is more beneficial for learning d IMO.
I wasn't very clear lol, I mean in relation to Brandon.

Kelowna has a superb system for developing defenseman. One of the best in the CHL. But I agree, it's better to have him play in Sweden or the AHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad