Prospect Info: Oliver Kapanen, RHC, KalPa U20 (U20 SM-sarja), 64th Overall

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
I try to not be too definitive for young prospects.....but if Kidney ever makes it in the NHL....I dance naked outside...and NOBODY wants to see that.

To this day, Kidney looks like he's still 13 years old. There a limit to what certain body can take as far as weight and muscles and clearly this kid has a low limit.
I agree with you :
nobody wants to see you dancing naked outside

• Wow
Reactions: Don D

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
I try to not be too definitive for young prospects.....but if Kidney ever makes it in the NHL....I dance naked outside...and NOBODY wants to see that.

To this day, Kidney looks like he's still 13 years old. There a limit to what certain body can take as far as weight and muscles and clearly this kid has a low limit.
Marner also has a baby face. We shouldnt be swayed by this.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Kidney showing up at next camp:

ax7mv69i4h341.jpg

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Kidney had a really promising start or middle third of the season.

I wouldn’t expect much personally but I wouldn’t write him off. If he can get stronger and faster then things could get interesting.

The little I saw while he was playing well, I liked quite a bit

I've seen a lot of him in Junior. He's very smart with great skills and a true type center. Skating/physicality was an area I always thought would hold him back. I hope he can overcome it. He's a good kid.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Kapanen has been more impressive this season, there is no doubt about it and he possess better offensive instincts than Beck. People stating that Beck is clearly above Kapanen are only relying on confirmation bias and draft pedigree. This is coming from someone who wanted Beck prior to us drafting him and I still believe that he can be a very good NHLer.

Counting Beck's games in pre season where he did not stand out and an uneventful rookie emergency call up is a very weak attempt to correlate his pro experience to Kapanen's.

I'd agree the edge goes to Kapanen. A bit more matured. However, I see a see saw battle in the years to come. Beck's first pro season is a big one. Could increase in prospect value or decrease. With Kapanen, he has the transition to NA game to come (after this next season).

If I was forced to bet today... Kapanen is better. How much better? Subjective guess.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Kidney had a really promising start or middle third of the season.

I wouldn’t expect much personally but I wouldn’t write him off. If he can get stronger and faster then things could get interesting.

The little I saw while he was playing well, I liked quite a bit

He was always going to be a guy who needs the 3 years in the AHL before you know if he's gonna be a NHLer or a Euro league player.

Not every prospect has to be on an accelerated timeline. Our hopes as a franchise also don't hinge on whether Kidney makes it.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
giphy-downsized-large.gif

I'd agree the edge goes to Kapanen. A bit more matured. However, I see a see saw battle in the years to come. Beck's first pro season is a big one. Could increase in prospect value or decrease. With Kapanen, he has the transition to NA game to come (after this next season).

If I was forced to bet today... Kapanen is better. How much better? Subjective guess.

I'll take the red ones.

• Haha
Reactions: Habs Halifax

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

If Kidney wanted to pack on the muscle he could. But maybe he has found/thinks it will slow him down, or maybe he doesn't have the work ethic...

On Kapanen, Snake thinks he doesn't have any one great quality that will stand out at the NHL level, so he thinks his offensive upset is very limited. But he does think his best quality is that he's a very hard worker.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Kapanen can step into a bottom 6 C role pretty easy with us IMO, which gives the team some options with Dvorak in his UFA season and Evans being as good as he's probably ever going to be in the NHL. I could see Kapanen in the mix as early as the 25-26 season.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Since Snake is a loser hack that I'd listen to more people on the board than him

The guys at the athletic (Scott CantWheelHer, Pronman, Peters) said Kapanen was very impressive and looks every bit a NHL bottom 6 center and that's a successful pick.

Reactions: Sam de Mtl

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Since Snake is a loser hack that I'd listen to more people on the board than him

The guys at the athletic (Scott CantWheelHer, Pronman, Peters) said Kapanen was very impressive and looks every bit a NHL bottom 6 center and that's a successful pick.
I personnally like to hear Snake Boisvert on balado, because he can explain some interessting facts as amateur scout. But he is is underrating a lot of player,m. He said Logan Mailloux is a 6th defenseman and Suzuki the 4th best forward on a contender team. I mean, I don’t know in what world he lives. There is a salary cap now. We can’t build a team with Sakic, forsberg, foote, hedjuk, deadmarsh anymore.
But, I prefer his podcast than « la releve » where every prospect we have will becomes top line forward or top 2 dman.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
I personnally like to hear Snake Boisvert on balado, because he can explain some interessting facts as amateur scout. But he is is underrating a lot of player,m. He said Logan Mailloux is a 6th defenseman and Suzuki the 4th best forward on a contender team. I mean, I don’t know in what world he lives. There is a salary cap now. We can’t build a team with Sakic, forsberg, foote, hedjuk, deadmarsh anymore.
But, I prefer his podcast than « la releve » where every prospect we have will becomes top line forward or top 2 dman.
That "scout" is an idiot of the worst kind because he thinks he needs to make outlandish claims in order to be interesting (he might have to actually, because he offers very little else. Not sure why people invite him on podcasts... My guess is there are too many podcasts and too little content for them).

Then he paints himself in a corner by doubling down on his idiotic takes. Shouldn't give this guy any credibility.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
He had quite the second half of the season. Wonder if they try to get him to skip Timra or is the plan to sign and loan for a year.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
That "scout" is an idiot of the worst kind because he thinks he needs to make outlandish claims in order to be interesting (he might have to actually, because he offers very little else. Not sure why people invite him on podcasts... My guess is there are too many podcasts and too little content for them).

Then he paints himself in a corner by doubling down on his idiotic takes. Shouldn't give this guy any credibility.

From what I've seen his past lists are interesting. He has bad takes, but also good ones. But Ibjaven't analyzed his past lists in comparison to other scouts in the media/podcast world.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
He's wack...he just likes being a contrarian and acts like every Habs fan who likes a prospect is a fanboy/girl who thinks that player is going to be a star.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad