Prospect Info: Oliver Kapanen, RHC, KalPa U20 (U20 SM-sarja), 64th Overall

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Respectful IMO. He wants to develop in the SHL and make the trip overseas when he can earn a NHL spot. His development has been going on very good so let him finish his goals in the SHL. This season was his first big step forward. It's what we didn't do with KK.... allow him to dominate his development league.
Difficult to argue with this.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Grant gets a lot of hate around here - but I watched him (I believe it was on Tony Mariano) mention Kapanen as one of our best prospects about 9 months ago.

I mean even with the strong year he had, he's still not close to being among our best prospects.
I would comfortably put Roy, Mailloux, Reinbacher, Engstrom, Hutson, Fowler, and Beck above him. After that, you can argue for any of Kapanen, Xhekaj, Mesar, Farrell, and Dobes to be the best prospect.

After the draft this year, Kapanen will likely not be among our top 10 prospects.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I mean even with the strong year he had, he's still not close to being among our best prospects.
I would comfortably put Roy, Mailloux, Reinbacher, Engstrom, Hutson, Fowler, and Beck above him. After that, you can argue for any of Kapanen, Xhekaj, Mesar, Farrell, and Dobes to be the best prospect.

After the draft this year, Kapanen will likely not be among our top 10 prospects.
I have not seen him play very much so I don't think you can safely say that he isn't or hasn't become one of the top prospects. I can't say Roy, Beck, F Xhekaj, Engstrom are better.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I have not seen him play very much so I don't think you can safely say that he isn't or hasn't become one of the top prospects. I can't say Roy, Beck, F Xhekaj, Engstrom are better.
Well Roy is definitely ahead… F. Xhekaj is definitely behind him, Beck and Engstrom are likely ahead or in the same tier… 5 goal is great but he isn’t dominant those weren’t great teams and blow out wins, we have to pump a brake a bit like lot of those goal were tip in, plenty of guys over the years that had great WC and seem prime to break out and it just doesn’t happen… if he going to be changing league he should make the jump to the AHL getting acclimated to NA ice and future teammate…

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Well Roy is definitely ahead… F. Xhekaj is definitely behind him, Beck and Engstrom are likely ahead or in the same tier… 5 goal is great but he isn’t dominant those weren’t great teams and blow out wins, we have to pump a brake a bit like lot of those goal were tip in, plenty of guys over the years that had great WC and seem prime to break out and it just doesn’t happen… if he going to be changing league he should make the jump to the AHL getting acclimated to NA ice and future teammate…
I am not saying he is going to be a star but for people to rank a bunch of prospects ahead of him at this time is a bit premature. His developmemt has really taken off this season. I have no idea how he compares to other Habs prospects until I see a sample size like I saw with Reinbacher playing 11 AHL games late in the season.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I am not saying he is going to be a star but for people to rank a bunch of prospects ahead of him at this time is a bit premature. His developmemt has really taken off this season. I have no idea how he compares to other Habs prospects until I see a sample size like I saw with Reinbacher playing 11 AHL games late in the season.

Agreed. Great development year in the SHL but we need to see how that looks in the AHL/NHL. However, I don't think he has AHL plans. He wants to go from SHL to NHL and playing one more SHL is a good plan for both him and the Habs IMO.

Reactions: jaffy27 and Tyson

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007

Can you really put Beck 'comfortably' above him though?

In 13 GP Kapanen had 7-7-14 in the playoffs vs men and now 5 goals in 3 games in the WC.
In 17 GP Beck had 4-10-14 in the playoffs vs teenagers.

Beck is only 6 months younger. This upcoming season will tell us a lot about both these players.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Respectful IMO. He wants to develop in the SHL and make the trip overseas when he can earn a NHL spot. His development has been going on very good so let him finish his goals in the SHL. This season was his first big step forward. It's what we didn't do with KK.... allow him to dominate his development league.
Slot in as 3rd C after lighting up SHL.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Slot in as 3rd C after lighting up SHL.

Yup, he will have to battle Beck for the job but I believe he is a bit more older/mature. I do like the idea of him continuing his good season in the SHL he had this season. Don't derail his momentum.

Beck in the AHL and Kapanen in the SHL will be something to monitor next season. Not sure if Evans is with us for the long stretch. Beck and Kapanen are the only two we have that can fill our bottom 2 center spots. Not sold on Newhook being a full time center.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
A Bergevin/Timmins pick that might turn into something for us? Imagine that.

Mailloux, Kapanen, Roy drafted in 21. Decent haul.

What do people think about Kidney now? I was never high on him. A classic case of someone who dominates junior hockey but faces real challenges as a smaller player once they turn pro.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021

What do people think about Kidney now? I was never high on him. A classic case of someone who dominates junior hockey but faces real challenges as a smaller player once they turn pro.
Too soon to say with Kidney. Anyone who was doing more than stat watching knew the transition to pros wouldn't be easy for him.

Like all players, if he puts the work in and gets his confidence going, he could make the necessary adjustments to have success. It is a steep hill, but if he does, he has the talent to be a n above average player. If he doesn't, he will probably never sniff the NHL.

Already, 3 likely NHL players for one draft at this stage is above average. Gotta be happy about that.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Too soon to say with Kidney. Anyone who was doing more than stat watching knew the transition to pros wouldn't be easy for him.

Like all players, if he puts the work in and gets his confidence going, he could make the necessary adjustments to have success. It is a steep hill, but if he does, he has the talent to be a n above average player. If he doesn't, he will probably never sniff the NHL.

Already, 3 likely NHL players for one draft at this stage is above average. Gotta be happy about that.

I hope Kidney proves me wrong but I don't think he makes it as a full time NHL player. Needs to get stronger very quickly. This up coming season is a big one for him and he knows it too.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Can you really put Beck 'comfortably' above him though?

In 13 GP Kapanen had 7-7-14 in the playoffs vs men and now 5 goals in 3 games in the WC.
In 17 GP Beck had 4-10-14 in the playoffs vs teenagers.

Beck is only 6 months younger. This upcoming season will tell us a lot about both these players.

6 months is a full season of hockey, so he's essentially a year younger.

We've seen Beck do well against nhl competitions in preseason and in the regular season. Thats worth a lot.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

We've seen Beck do well against nhl competitions in preseason and in the regular season. Thats worth a lot.

It's close between Kapanen and Beck. Edge to Kapanen today. Could change and we would be guessing.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

I try to not be too definitive for young prospects.....but if Kidney ever makes it in the NHL....I dance naked outside...and NOBODY wants to see that.

To this day, Kidney looks like he's still 13 years old. There a limit to what certain body can take as far as weight and muscles and clearly this kid has a low limit.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I try to not be too definitive for young prospects.....but if Kidney ever makes it in the NHL....I dance naked outside...and NOBODY wants to see that.

To this day, Kidney looks like he's still 13 years old. There a limit to what certain body can take as far as weight and muscles and clearly this kid has a low limit.
1715892047175.gif

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021

We will see. He does look very small and if it turns out that is cause he can't add weight, it will be a problem for him. If there is a way for him to put on the weight and improve the skating slightly though, then we will be looking at a very different player from the one we have seen so far. Who knows what 2-3 years can do for a young player like this one. He certainly has a ton of playmaking skills.

If, in the end, you need to dance outside, might I suggest a far away forest?

• Haha
Reactions: Whitesnake

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
We will see. He does look very small and if it turns out that is cause he can't add weight, it will be a problem for him. If there is a way for him to put on the weight and improve the skating slightly though, then we will be looking at a very different player from the one we have seen so far. Who knows what 2-3 years can do for a young player like this one. He certainly has a ton of playmaking skills.

If, in the end, you need to dance outside, might I suggest a far away forest?
Moon would be better.....

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

Kidney had a really promising start or middle third of the season.

I wouldn’t expect much personally but I wouldn’t write him off. If he can get stronger and faster then things could get interesting.

The little I saw while he was playing well, I liked quite a bit

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Kapanen has been more impressive this season, there is no doubt about it and he possess better offensive instincts than Beck. People stating that Beck is clearly above Kapanen are only relying on confirmation bias and draft pedigree. This is coming from someone who wanted Beck prior to us drafting him and I still believe that he can be a very good NHLer.

Counting Beck's games in pre season where he did not stand out and an uneventful rookie emergency call up is a very weak attempt to correlate his pro experience to Kapanen's.

Last edited:
Reactions: lamp9post

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad