Prospect Info: Oliver Kapanen, RHC, KalPa U20 (U20 SM-sarja), 64th Overall

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Kapanen has no contract for next season, why wouldn't he come over?

You could argue that Laval already stands to have a young center line with beck and kidney already likely there. I wouldn't be surprised to see Kap come over or stay in europe one more year tbh.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I think Kapanen is coming. He's really been on a tear lately. Has a lot of profesional experience and the Habs/Laval could use more center depth

The current C depth in Laval for next year:
Gignac
Condotta
Beck
Davidson
Kidney

Possible additions include:
Maillet/vet replacement
Stephens/vet replacement
Biondi
Guindon
Kapanen
UDFAs

Again next year, we will have C on the wings.

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
What is his contact status?
His current contract expires April 30th. He needs to be signed to his ELC by the Habs.

Habs have 45/50 contracts in use. I am assuming 4 will go to Engstrom, Kapanen, Tuch and Hutson.

just to list the contracts we are losing:

Wideman
Colin White
Edmundson retained
Pearson
Alzner Buyout
Ylonen

A few potential in the AHL.

Reactions: Tyson

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
His current contract expires April 30th. He needs to be signed to his ELC by the Habs.

Habs have 45/50 contracts in use. I am assuming 4 will go to Engstrom, Kapanen, Tuch and Hutson.

just to list the contracts we are losing:

Wideman
Colin White
Edmundson retained
Pearson
Alzner Buyout
Ylonen

A few potential in the AHL.

Does the Alzner buyout (or any buyout for that matter) count as a contract against the 50 contract limit?

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Surprising, you'd think he would be ready for Laval.. guess 1 year in the SHL and over to NA.
I think he's likely ready, but there are a lot of guys that will be fighting for pretty limited offensive minutes in Laval next year. Having him play at the top of the lineup for Timrå might be the best option for him and our other forward prospects.

Reactions: Nevins

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Nooooooooo… I am worried he doesn’t want to sign with us. Do we still have his rights if we don’t sign him this summer?
I doubt he will refuse the Habs, he has more chances to make the habs than 90% of all other NHL team and they can sign him this year and offer him a nice signing bonus for the summer.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
His season is just so crazy in terms of #'s. He was so inconsistent that only 2 times this season did he record points in more 2 games in a row and only 5 times did he record points in back to back games. But he did have a way better 2nd half then 1st and so far he's been red hot in the playoffs with 4 pts in 2 games.

Reactions: Sagikev

Fuonki

Jan 2, 2020
Swedish papers writing that Oliver Kapanen is headed to Timrå IK next season, where his father currently works as the sporting director. Thought he'd be headed to the AHL for sure, but the SHL is definitely not a bad option either. Timrå is losing their 1C Robin Hanzl too, so he could get a good role there as a 1/2C

skidcells

May 11, 2023
Swedish papers writing that Oliver Kapanen is headed to Timrå IK next season, where his father currently works as the sporting director. Thought he'd be headed to the AHL for sure, but the SHL is definitely not a bad option either. Timrå is losing their 1C Robin Hanzl too, so he could get a good role there as a 1/2C
Yea I don’t think we will ever see him in a Habs jersey unfortunately.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
SHL is a step up from Liiga. So it's good that he's going to a better league, where he will be better challenged. But I was hoping he'd be in Laval next year. I was seeing Beck and Kapanen being part of Laval's center line.

In my mind, I had Gignac and Stephens being re-signed and the centers in Laval would be Gignac, Stephens, Beck & Kapanen.

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
I think Kapanen is coming. He's really been on a tear lately. Has a lot of profesional experience and the Habs/Laval could use more center depth
Yes it was a shrewd move trading that very serviceable center Mysak for that winger Perreault. lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad