Player Discussion Oliver Ekman-Larsson

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
People are doing victory laps for a guy with 5 years left on his contract in the pre-season of his first season, jesus f***ing christ.

And if he was doing poorly he would be getting ripped mercilessly. Along with Benning and the usual suspects. No one is doing victory lap. They are acknowledging that OEL has so far appeared much better than the doom and gloomers led them to believe. Leading to optimism and good feelings. Try it some time.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
This is the most backwards post I’ve seen. Edler was miles better defensively from 2015 onwards than he was earlier in his career.

He use to be spoon fed easy minutes and a ton of PP time with Art Ross trophy guys and his stats looked great. But he turned into a very effective shutdown guy from 2015 onwards, I seriously don’t get how people still to this day don’t grasp this.
And people seem to overlook the presence of Tanev (granted he did tended to get injured) as this was during his peak years as well. OEL might regain his former form but he can't split into two players. We got nobody with the potential to reach level (defensively) in the next few years (Rathbone may get there eventually, but that'll likely take a number of years (by then guys like OEL will be closer to 35 than 30 years old).

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
People are doing victory laps for a guy with 5 years left on his contract in the pre-season of his first season, jesus f***ing christ.
I mean are you surprised at the posters doing it?

You shouldn’t be.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011

I mean are you surprised at the posters doing it?

You shouldn’t be.

Some people just choose to be positive when given the opportunity.

It's finally the last pre-season game tonight. Should be a good one. Hopefully he performs well and it continues into the season.

Reactions: Johnathon Tanner

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Some people just choose to be positive when given the opportunity.

It's finally the last pre-season game tonight. Should be a good one. Hopefully he performs well and it continues into the season.
Really I see a bunch of folks calling out the haterz but whatever helps you be positive.

I’m excited to see the full squad too.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Nobody is doing victory laps...just like nobody was doing victory laps when we acquired the player..Thats straight up BS..

He's looked impressive in the pre season..He hasn't looked like the lazy, third paring D-man that the chronic naysayers claimed he was going to be.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Preseason but he looks good so far. Steady, calm, good reads, creates some O, seems to fit in on the PP.
not the best contract but remember, taking him allowed us to ditch three useless players which free'd up space for Hughes and Petey

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Whether the decline was due to injury, motivation, workload or what, his mobility has come back to the point where it's above age for a player with his size and reach.

Throwback

Sep 12, 2014
He's overall an upgrade over Edler for second pairing but horribly overpaid. Probably won't be much better than his last season in Arizona, but will be steady enough I suppose. The issue is having a reliable RD partner and I'm not sold on Poolman yet.

He will decline sooner rather than later, and that is when it will hurt the most. Hopefully will be good enough for now, but who knows.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011

I wish it was 5 years left. His deal will end when Hughes becomes an UFA.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
He's looked impressive in the pre season..He hasn't looked like the lazy, third paring D-man that the chronic naysayers claimed he was going to be.
I don’t recall anyone ‘naysayer’ predicting he was lazy. I do recall many who had reservations as to whether OEL would be able to absorb hard minutes every night, as this was the team’s most pressing need and his cap hit necessitated that he live up to it. To my mind, he’s yet to clear that bar. Until he does, and on a regular basis, there’s no need for anyone to eat humble pie.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I don’t recall anyone ‘naysayer’ predicting he was lazy. I do recall many who had reservations as to whether OEL would be able to absorb hard minutes every night, as this was the team’s most pressing need and his cap hit necessitated that he live up to it. To my mind, he’s yet to clear that bar. Until he does, and on a regular basis, there’s no need for anyone to eat humble pie.
Come on man..Do you really need me to harvest quotes from posters here saying how much of a tire fire OEL was going to be...? (and yes, somebody said he was lazy)..Everybody had reservations,...some of us decided to 'wait and see' before making harsh judgements on the player....and nobody is telling anybody to eat humble pie.

All anybody has said is that he has looked impressive in the pre season.

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
All anybody has said is that he has looked impressive in the pre season.

Yes, including most of his critics. Who has said he hasn't looked good so far? Doesn't change the facts that
(a) he has been performing poorly for several consecutive years, and has appeared to be declining;
(b) there is still a full season ahead of him in which he'll have to, at a minimum, be better than his pre-season level of play in order to help the team;
(c) that it will be a tall order to play up to the level of the value of his contract.

There is plenty of reason for skepticism, and to simplify it: a 30-year old who has been playing well below his talent level and apparently declining for several years being added to a bottom-3 in the league D group with no apparent effective defensive system, really isn't a thing to get overly optimistic about.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Guy can skate again, Clearly took his off-Season seriously with the new opportunity.
His Awareness is much better than I expected, Guy is a gamer

Reactions: bh53 and David71

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Yes, including most of his critics. Who has said he hasn't looked good so far? Doesn't change the facts that
(a) he has been performing poorly for several consecutive years, and has appeared to be declining;
(b) there is still a full season ahead of him in which he'll have to, at a minimum, be better than his pre-season level of play in order to help the team;
(c) that it will be a tall order to play up to the level of the value of his contract.

There is plenty of reason for skepticism, and to simplify it: a 30-year old who has been playing well below his talent level and apparently declining for several years being added to a bottom-3 in the league D group with no apparent effective defensive system, really isn't a thing to get overly optimistic about.
Nobody's argued a,b or c.....and nobody has got overly optimistic either...all that was said was that he has had an impressive pre season (which seems to be getting your crew a bit bent out of shape)

Reactions: Sneezy

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
This is the most backwards post I’ve seen. Edler was miles better defensively from 2015 onwards than he was earlier in his career.

He use to be spoon fed easy minutes and a ton of PP time with Art Ross trophy guys and his stats looked great. But he turned into a very effective shutdown guy from 2015 onwards, I seriously don’t get how people still to this day don’t grasp this.

The notions of tanev and elder amongst fans and on this board is astronomically terrible.

both good defensively and if either were still on the team would instantly be the go-to shutdown dman

it’s like people are just suffering from new toy syndrome

Reactions: LiveeviL

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Preseason but he looks good so far. Steady, calm, good reads, creates some O, seems to fit in on the PP.
not the best contract but remember, taking him allowed us to ditch three useless players which free'd up space for Hughes and Petey

OEL and Garland cost more against the salary cap than Eriksson, Roussel, and Beagle did. The Canucks had less room to get Hughes and Pettersson signed than before they made the trade.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
OEL and Garland cost more against the salary cap than Eriksson, Roussel, and Beagle did. The Canucks had less room to get Hughes and Pettersson signed than before they made the trade.

A little context helps (Garland was RFA and re-signed to a very fair $4.95 million contract for a top-6 winger, while OEL at $7.2 mil and in his reinvigorated situation could become worthwhile, at least in the near future. While they do cost on the cap, the team also needed to replace Edler (OEL probably would've cost $1-$2 mil above what a similar player would've cost), and definitely having contributing assets instead of liabilities like Loui/ Roussel/ Beagle would be a trade I'd probably still make again.

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
A little context helps (Garland was RFA and re-signed to a very fair $4.95 million contract for a top-6 winger, while OEL at $7.2 mil and in his reinvigorated situation could become worthwhile, at least in the near future. While they do cost on the cap, the team also needed to replace Edler (OEL probably would've cost $1-$2 mil above what a similar player would've cost), and definitely having contributing assets instead of liabilities like Loui/ Roussel/ Beagle would be a trade I'd probably still make again.
I wasn’t wrong and didn’t twist anything. I’m just saying that the trade did not in fact aid signing 40/43, like the poster I was quoting inferred.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

You are correct if all three players would have been on the roster. If, like last season, Eriksson was waived and not on the team then no. But your point still stands.

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
You are correct if all three players would have been on the roster. If, like last season, Eriksson was waived and not on the team then no. But your point still stands.

My point is seemingly strengthened if they could have buried one and ltir’d one. Even more money for Petey and Hughes.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Not relevant, but going back 3 years ago now, I was at a Coyotes Game back in 2019. OEL was by far their best player, he was awesome defensively and outstanding offensively. Makes me wonder, what if he never played on such a terrible franchise, of course cherry picking one game, but yea, just a 2 cent. I hope he does well for us. I don't want to see another Ericcson like situation. I don't think any of us wants to see that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad