Speculation: oliver ekman-larsson vs erik karlsson-who do you want?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Both OEL and Erik are rumored to be available.

In multiple threads we talk about adding the STUD D man--

here is the question

of these two D men--

1) Who would you prefer the oilers go after?
2) What are you will to give up?

So far in their careers

Born May 31 1990 Karlsson 622 games played 125 goals 387 assists 316pm career -35
Born July 17 1991 OEL 566 games played 101 goals 185 assists 354 pms career -77

Current contract
OEL 5.5 UFA after the 18/19 season
Karlsson 6.5 UFA after the 18/19 seaON

speculation from some sens reports are that any deal for Karlsson--the team will need to take Bobby Ryan as part of the deal and he has a cap hit of 7.25 til the end of 21/22 season

Without factoring the rumour of the Ryan part

of these two D men--who would you want and what would you be willing to give up?

Jday1199

Apr 30, 2016
It would be OEL for me. Acquisition cost "should" be lower and next contract as well. Have always enjoyed the way he plays has a bit of an edge to his game.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
If Karlsson was re-signed, I'd consider parting with Nuge and one of Larsson/Nurse/Kelfbom plus the 2019 1st rounder.

Ryan would be impossible unless Lucic was going out and a third part was involved who could broker some cap retention.

IDK.

OEL I'm less jazzed about.

Reactions: frag2

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
EK. He's better (by a lot). He's RHD which is the exact position we are looking for. Pay the higher cost and fill the biggest need. OEL is still going to cost you a lot no matter what.

Nuge, Puljujarvi or Yamamoto (there choice), Jones, 2019 1st
for
EK

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I'm also on board for OEL. That said we will have to get cap creative in a deal for him. Assuming Nurse gets signed in the 4-5 range, not only would Klef have to be part of the deal, but you would need Russell or Sekera to waive too. I have a feeling that OEL contract will be 8m per year.

As much as I'd love Karlsson, the cost of acquiring him and the cap hit to boot... yikes. I think OEL-Larsson would be a force of a pairing.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
After reading about OEL saying that money isn't everything. I feel this guy might re-sign for sub 9M. Plus I feel like Arizona would also take Lucic off our hands

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
OEL(extened for 8 yrs at 8.5 per)
Domi

For

1st round pick(6-8 range)
1st round pick in 2019
Lucic(20% retained)
RNH

rickysusedsht

Feb 25, 2015
Home of your Prince Albert Raiders
OEL with out a doubt his stretch passes are elite. yes EK is great D as well but i think OEL is better on the defending end and is a lower risk player . what we would give up? depends what chia is on at the moment. what i think arizona wants would be ... Drai and klef for OEL and Domi plus a pick or minor low impact player

Last edited:

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I'm also on board for OEL. That said we will have to get cap creative in a deal for him. Assuming Nurse gets signed in the 4-5 range, not only would Klef have to be part of the deal, but you would need Russell or Sekera to waive too. I have a feeling that OEL contract will be 8m per year.

As much as I'd love Karlsson, the cost of acquiring him and the cap hit to boot... yikes. I think OEL-Larsson would be a force of a pairing.
OEL at 8M is unreal. If that's the case. Find a way to get rid of Lucic, Sekera and Russell contracts and get Klef, Larsson and OEL to persuade Karlsson to sign here in 2019-2020.

2019-20
OEL(8)-Karlsson(10)
Nurse(4.5)-Larsson(4.1)
Klef(4.1)-Boqvist(900k)
31.4M

Dreaming. I know

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Would be Karlsson but I doubt he wants to come here and the contract will be enormous with how much this team has already tied up.
OEL might be far more accepting to the option.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Obviously given the choice I’d want Karlsson. Given the cost probably OEL.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
OEL makes more sense. He would be cheaper to acquire in a trade, cheaper to sign and doesn't have a wonky ankle. The only negative is that he shoots left and plays in our division which would make a trade a little more difficult.

Reactions: Burnt Biscuits

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Don't see the Oilers getting either but of the two, Karlsson is obviously the better player.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Don't see the Oilers getting either but of the two, Karlsson is obviously the better player.

This all day. Both are unlikely, but Karlsson is both way better, and from the East, making a trade to the Oilers somewhat more likely IMO. If the Yotes do trade OEL, it won't be within the Pacific.

Reactions: rambo97

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
If OEL was a righty I would consider him worth trading a small package for. However, he is not a righty and he is extremely overrated and bad at defending. Big no thanks.

Karlsson is interesting because he is a right shooting guy. However he is also vastly overrated and soft as butter at defending as well.

The Oilers can't take any salary back so if Ottawa is looking to dump cap along with Karlsson its a simple no and move on.

Assuming its just Karlsson. Assuming we will be paying a premium. Assuming Karlsson will somehow be worth all this... Klefbom, Nuge, and next years first conditional on resigning is the absolute highest I could go and even then I feel bad even offering it. Highly doubt that would make our team better. You know Karlsson is going for 10+ on his next contract so that is the only way we could afford him.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The tricky thing with both is that I wouldn't be sure if the trade offer was genuine or not. GMs will keep teams in conversation just to create a bidding war, even if they have a list of teams with no chance, and they aren't telling.

With OEL, Arizona would prefer to send him out East I'm sure. This fact make Karlsson more attractive.

With Karlsson, he may personally not have interest in playing for the Oilers, and that's no knock on the Oilers. He is one of the leagues biggest stars, and he can pick anywhere he wants to go. Although, I'd say that we should never discount the McDavid factor.

I also don't think that paying Karlsson 10 million is a cap problem for us. We can make the room for the right player, and oh lord is he the right player or what?

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012
OEL. Karlsson just flat out won't happen...Ryan isn't coming here unless Lucic goes the other way, and that would make it pointless for Ottawa. (I know the OP says to ignore Ryan, but you really can't. Someone is going to take that contract to get Karlsson.)

If he's signed, I'd give Klefbom and a 1st.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad