Speculation: Oliver bjorkstrand

Status
Not open for further replies.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
don't see him getting more than Anderson did. At most I'd guess 2 yrs (maybe 3) at 2 per but wouldn't be surprised at something around 1.5 or so per. The start to his career is similar to Cam's and it took him to this last deal to hit the big time.

Reactions: Jackets Fan

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
don't see him getting more than Anderson did. At most I'd guess 2 yrs (maybe 3) at 2 per but wouldn't be surprised at something around 1.5 or so per. The start to his career is similar to Cam's and it took him to this last deal to hit the big time.
If I'm Bjork I'd push for 2 yrs if it's at $2M; if I'm GMJK I'm pushing for 3. If it's at $1.5, Bjork should push for 1 year; head overseas for some Euros; or seek to get away from Torts system.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
head overseas for some Euros; or seek to get away from Torts system.

Sad that our offensive players have to leave our organization to escape Torts, hopefully he’s replaced after a slow start next year

Please, 1 of you (or 1 of the others) explain to me what exactly about Torts "system" do Bjorkstrand and "our offensive players" have to escape? How do you think the mantra, "Safe Is Death" would affect offensive production?

Why do we have essentially 2 of the top 10 or so in defenseman scoring?

I don't think Sonny Milano should be passed off as "our offensive players". And while I'd like Bjorkstrand to be shooting more/scoring more goals, his offensive game hasn't really been much of a disappointment. He's played 2 years in the NHL. 2. You guys want to win the cup, but also hate that the coach holds the young players to accountable for mistakes that hurt the team either immediately or over time. This idea that you can only "focus" or "develop" on 1 of offense or defense at a time, is ridiculous.

On the PP, or with any individual player, or team as a whole, you can only blame the coaching and tactics for so much. The players have to execute plays ON THE ICE against other players. THEY have to be the 1's to get in the dirty areas, or outwork an opposing player. Or make a great offensive play. This isn't EA Sports against the "computer" or some 9 year old where you can work the same "glitch" goals and 1-timer plays and have it just work.

Maybe not so much the next yr or 2, but long term its: Bjorkstrand >> J Anderson

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Please, 1 of you (or 1 of the others) explain to me what exactly about Torts "system" do Bjorkstrand and "our offensive players" have to escape? How do you think the mantra, "Safe Is Death" would affect offensive production?
In simple form, I'll give you 3 words.

Dump and chase.

It's much more complicated than that, but dump and chase offensive zone entry being the first option is something the good teams in the league are trying to get away from. We're not. I've actually been doing some research on this, I'll be happy to let you know about it when I'm done. :)

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

I don't think Sonny Milano should be passed off as "our offensive players". And while I'd like Bjorkstrand to be shooting more/scoring more goals, his offensive game hasn't really been much of a disappointment. He's played 2 years in the NHL. 2. You guys want to win the cup, but also hate that the coach holds the young players to accountable for mistakes that hurt the team either immediately or over time. This idea that you can only "focus" or "develop" on 1 of offense or defense at a time, is ridiculous.

On the PP, or with any individual player, or team as a whole, you can only blame the coaching and tactics for so much. The players have to execute plays ON THE ICE against other players. THEY have to be the 1's to get in the dirty areas, or outwork an opposing player. Or make a great offensive play. This isn't EA Sports against the "computer" or some 9 year old where you can work the same "glitch" goals and 1-timer plays and have it just work.

Maybe not so much the next yr or 2, but long term its: Bjorkstrand >> J Anderson
Aside from Panarin, nearly every forward on our team had career worst years. I would take it a step further , that in Torts system, where he is in love with his defenseman playing the rover position, and jumping deep into the play, means that his forwards have to cover for the defenseman going down deep, or one quick pass the other way , is a breakaway. His whole offensive system is predicated on offense, thru our defenseman, which sounds great, with Zach, and Seth, Marcus, but its easy to take away. Washington simply extended their defense out into our defenseman's space, not allowing them time to get the shot off from the point, and Torts had no adjustments for that.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus

My main issue with Torts is that there is literally no structure to our offensive game. I’m too lazy to type out a full response, but you can find my gripes in the fire Torts thread back in February or March

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
My main issue with Torts is that there is literally no structure to our offensive game. I’m too lazy to type out a full response, but you can find my gripes in the fire Torts thread back in February or March
You mean the coach that said "I don't coach offense" doesn't have an offensive strategy? Shocking development.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

Multiple posters have effectively responded so there's not much I'll add except a :thumbu: and one other point. For a moment forget the debate on whether or not Torts is a good offensive coach. (though I happen to think he's average as it applies to yesterday's style or below in today's style). It's more about some guys are a better fit for some coaches than others. My own take is Bjork is a guy who would fit better in TB, LVGK, or NJ to name a few.

Johnny Jacket

Jun 17, 2014

I’m too lazy to go back and look. Can you go back and copy and paste so we can see your Torts gripes?

Reactions: thebus88

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
My only problem with all this is folks 'round here seem very content to blame players for their failures in some cases (ie Wennberg) and also very content to blame Torts for other players' failures (this thread), all while ignoring the gray area or middleground that definitely exists.

And there isn't a whole lot of evidence to support either binary-style perspective.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I’m too lazy to go back and look. Can you go back and copy and paste so we can see your Torts gripes?

I'll leave my main point in here about the lack of system. @thebus88 you can go back to the original post if you'd like to read what else was said (post #250 - after losing to Pittsburgh on Feb 18th).

A couple of reasons. I've been pretty meh on this subject since the thread was started, but last night's game was the last straw.

Our offense is inept and has no basic system. I'm pretty sick and tired of Torts' mantra of "not coaching the offense". Something has to give, there is no reason why we should be in the bottom-5 of scoring in the entire league. If you watch any well-coached team, they come at you in waves of speed through the neutral zone, then move the puck quickly and drive to the net once in the offensive zone (Pittsburgh, Vegas to name a few). The team has gotten away from this mentality since January of LAST YEAR. It's so nauseating watching this chip and chase style of play and not driving, let alone maintaining, controlled possession. This same BS happened in NY with Torts towards the end of his tenure.

Which leads me to the power play....

Finally, the lineup decisions....

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I think Torts is going to be forced to give OB significant ice time-especially if the roster isn't upgraded and Dubinsky begins the season as a CBJ.

Contractually, who knows? Jarmo and JD love to negotiate tough with these types. I'll go with Anderson-type dollars for 2 or 3 years.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
The poll question on the Biggest Need got me thinking about this rather off the wall idea. When I think of the center position, the attributes that pop to mind are vision, playmaking/passing, and forechecking. A bit of goal scoring ability also comes to mind.

It made me curious as to why Bjork had never been tried at center during his development years. While certainly not noted as a forechecker, he certainly possesses the other puckhandling skills.

Now to be clear, I'm not advocating any position switch. I toss this out more as a question why wouldn't have been considered at some point during his developmental years. Certainly the organization could see center depth was pretty shallow. (And if it's a stupid question, just chalk it up to just another one in life :dunce:)

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Soo, are you guys not looking at resigning Bjork?
With the new contract for Jenner, and Duclair coming in, it sure looks like his future might be elsewhere?

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
Soo, are you guys not looking at resigning Bjork?
With the new contract for Jenner, and Duclair coming in, it sure looks like his future might be elsewhere?

Yeah I don’t think there is any question about resigning Bjork. We are still trying to find ways to add scoring and last year was Ollie’s first full season and he put up 40 points with less than ideal usage. Expect him to move in a permanent top 6 position this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad