Player Discussion Olen Zellweger

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I wouldn't count on it. Not sure I'd count on him ever playing for this team either haha, but I don't think you can ever bank on a growth spurt from a drafted player.
He stood out in the rookie camp and pretty much dictated play with the puck on his stick. I think he will find a way.

Reactions: KickHisAssZegrass
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
He stood out in the rookie camp and pretty much dictated play with the puck on his stick. I think he will find a way.

Didn't mean it that way. I'm sure he'll make the NHL in some way, but when the new GM is apparently talking about having a big defense and you've already got Jamie Drysdale then you've got a scenario where another prized undersized defenseman is a hell of an easy trade chip.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Those are names I can live with :laugh: Scotty's vest year was pre-draft tho and he was super young as well (almost Sept b-day)
Obv size is against Zell here.

And also great point by @The Mighty Duck Man that it seems framed weirdly. I think even Theo had similar numbers (not that he's bad)

at the end of the day he would be a middle to high 1st round pick if his bday was 5 days later, we picked him up in 2nd…. It’s great value pick that hopefully pans out

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
at the end of the day he would be a middle to high 1st round pick if his bday was 5 days later, we picked him up in 2nd…. It’s great value pick that hopefully pans out
True. And since we already have another smallish defenseman in Drysdale, I wouldn't be opposed to using Zellweger as an enticing trade chip to acquire proven talent while his value is high.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
True. And since we already have another smallish defenseman in Drysdale, I wouldn't be opposed to using Zellweger as an enticing trade chip to acquire proven talent while his value is high.

Not saying they should do it but I can't imagine a Chychrun trade bringing back a better prospect than Olen at this point.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
After the trades of the past week, adding Chychrun would be pointless. The Ducks won't be a playoff team for 2-3 years at which point Chychrun will be asking for 8X$10 and we'll be right back to the LIndholm saga part II.

Reactions: ReptilianQuack
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
After the trades of the past week, adding Chychrun would be pointless. The Ducks won't be a playoff team for 2-3 years at which point Chychrun will be asking for 8X$10 and we'll be right back to the LIndholm saga part II.
That's the thing, it'd be pretty different. There's a minor age difference but you also have a team that's hopefully in a different position and you have wiggle room. With Hampus it didn't matter a whole lot because he'd be in his 30s before the team was in any kind of contention and you're staring at the possibility of an over the hill Lindholm being paid that much for a few more years just as your young core enters their prime.

With Chychrun you're hoping we're contending by the time that extension kicks in, where the first half of it covers the rest of his 20s and his prime more or less overlaps with the rest of the core. It also doesn't necessarily have to be for 8 years, there's likely some wiggle room, whereas with Hampus the little wiggle room didn't matter because it didn't really change the equation any.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
That's the thing, it'd be pretty different. There's a minor age difference but you also have a team that's hopefully in a different position and you have wiggle room. With Hampus it didn't matter a whole lot because he'd be in his 30s before the team was in any kind of contention and you're staring at the possibility of an over the hill Lindholm being paid that much for a few more years just as your young core enters their prime.

With Chychrun you're hoping we're contending by the time that extension kicks in, where the first half of it covers the rest of his 20s and his prime more or less overlaps with the rest of the core. It also doesn't necessarily have to be for 8 years, there's likely some wiggle room, whereas with Hampus the little wiggle room didn't matter because it didn't really change the equation any.
I'd keep Zellweger instead from both a timing and a talent perspective. He is going to be a dynamic and impactful fan favorite when he arrives here. Worst case, trade for Chychrun in 3 years when he is a pending UFA if the team is ready to add him at that point.

Reactions: wraparound
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I'd keep Zellweger instead from both a timing and a talent perspective. He is going to be a dynamic and impactful fan favorite when he arrives here. Worst case, trade for Chychrun in 3 years when he is a pending UFA if the team is ready to add him at that point.
Hey, that's totally fair. I'm on the fence with Zellweger but I completely see why anyone would think he's untouchable.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site

A real shame that we missed on Niko for Kyle Kukko.... He looks like a real power forward who has chemistry with Olen.

Anyone know who what scouts we have that keep missing badly on these USHL/BCHL late picks? I don't think we've hit on any... we show give those to our scouts in Europe to find Kase/Galimov types...

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
You do realize that arguably the best D-pairing in the league is what many on here would consider soft?

In fairness the Avs D got absolutely worked in the playoffs against Vegas. More so the Girard pairing but the lack of size back there was really evident when it mattered.

Edit: I'm assuming you were referring to the Toews - Makar pairing.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
In fairness the Avs D got absolutely worked in the playoffs against Vegas. More so the Girard pairing but the lack of size back there was really evident when it mattered.

Edit: I'm assuming you were referring to the Toews - Makar pairing.
Girard's also a major comparable here so it's fair to bring up. There's gonna be real questions about his ceiling as a 5'9 defender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad