Player Discussion Olen Zellweger

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Zellweger > Drysdale IMO. I think Zell is more built for the pro grind.
Couldn’t agree more there was never a world where both of these players were on the team together at the same time. Glassdale was always on his way out the door with fowler right behind him a little later.

Last edited by a moderator:

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
He was battling for net front position too, he’s a gamer
Naturally too. Where as poor cam, the few times in his entire career where he has tried to be physical he usually would end up hurt himself. The fowler/leason types that are pure vanilla just don’t have a place on our team going forward. Imho. The always hurt Jones types don’t either. Our gm hates injury plagued players.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
It seemed to me more than half the time he was on the left, including the goals he was in on. But could just the vagaries of the breakouts.

With a guy like Zellweger, especially since he and Fowler are both lefties, it seems like there's some fluidity to which side they start the breakout. However, I do think he starts most shifts on the right, and that's where the Ducks have listed him in their pregame lineup tweets.

Reactions: lwvs84
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
With a guy like Zellweger, especially since he and Fowler are both lefties, it seems like there's some fluidity to which side they start the breakout. However, I do think he starts most shifts on the right, and that's where the Ducks have listed him in their pregame lineup tweets.
I think you're right about where they start. You can see Fowler and Zellweger jump on the ice in the background of the first Killorn goal and Zell fans out to the right.

Reactions: JAHV

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Zell also seem to know better what to do in the OZ. Dry is great, but often felt like he's skating without any idea what to do next. Zell just constantly delivers. Might be a combination of a better processing and agressivenes

But I don't want to dunk on Dry. He's good as well
This is pretty spot on. Zellweger also has a shot that Drysdale never had (and never will).

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Regarding the Calder, make of this what you will....

Both Z and Drysdale played 24 games their first season. One short of losing Calder eligibility. Coincidence or not? You be the judge.
I believe that was because playing 25 games that year would count as an accrued season, meaning they reach UFA status earlier. I think the usual number is like 40 games, but it was 25 that year because of COVID. So if that is true, then yes, it was a coincidence.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I believe that was because playing 25 games that year would count as an accrued season, meaning they reach UFA status earlier. I think the usual number is like 40 games, but it was 25 that year because of COVID. So if that is true, then yes, it was a coincidence.
You may be right, but I couldn't find anything that specifically addressed it. I did find this...

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
It seemed to me more than half the time he was on the left, including the goals he was in on. But could just the vagaries of the breakouts.

I do recall his goal coming in on when LaCombe was still on the ice on a breakout. LaCombe's pair mate for that game was RD Lindstrom. When we do have offensive possession, it seems our D-men often switch sides when we decide to have movement, especially when it's Fowler playing with LaCombe or Zellweger.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
The fowler/leason types that are pure vanilla just don’t have a place on our team going forward. Imho.
I do disagree on Leason. Last year’s version would avoid contact at all cost.

He’s never go to be a real physical player, but this year he doesn’t shy away from it. He is one player I’m quite happy with.

John

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

He’s never go to be a real physical player, but this year he doesn’t shy away from it. He is one player I’m quite happy with.

John
Growing some horns under Cronin :)

Reactions: 70sSanO

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018

John
I do wonder if him getting smoked earlier this year had any residual effects with how he approaches the game. To your point, he seems way less of the perimeter player he was last year after that incident.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Zell is really turning to a player. Drysdale who?
He's very impressive. I'm almost surprised at how many facets of the game he plays at a high level, but I think we all knew he was a special prospect, the question was how well he'd adapt. Even defensively, yeah he gets caught out of position but he's often quick to get back and apply pressure. With more experience he could be a decent presence in his own zone, to say nothing of how his zone exits are already pretty damn good.

I think he looks better than guys like Drysdale, Theodore, and Montour did early in their careers. Fowler is a wash but Fowler's dynamism was neutered after injuries and being pressed to be a responsible two way defender.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
He's very impressive. I'm almost surprised at how many facets of the game he plays at a high level, but I think we all knew he was a special prospect, the question was how well he'd adapt. Even defensively, yeah he gets caught out of position but he's often quick to get back and apply pressure. With more experience he could be a decent presence in his own zone, to say nothing of how his zone exits are already pretty damn good.

I think he looks better than guys like Drysdale, Theodore, and Montour did early in their careers. Fowler is a wash but Fowler's dynamism was neutered after injuries and being pressed to be a responsible two way defender.
Fowler also had the advantage of being on a strong team with better D and, more importantly, good forwards/leadership. I'd love to have prime Beauch on this team, I think Lydman was there too?

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Fowler also had the advantage of being on a strong team with better D and, more importantly, good forwards/leadership. I'd love to have prime Beauch on this team, I think Lydman was there too?
Yes indeed. Lubo/Lydman was a good pairing that year but they got worn down over the course of the year. Cam must've played with Mara, perhaps Lilja and ultimately Beauch later in the year. Now that i think of it, Zell is not entirely dissimilar from Lubo.

Reactions: lwvs84

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad