Olen Zellweger First NHL Goal

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
He's starting to look noticeably more confident as he approaches the 20 game mark. He'll add some offense but looks like hell be steady enough to eat big minutes in all situations. He's playing his off side on the top pairing for several games now (alongside Fowler who is not a defensive stalwart) which is quite a trial by fire to say the least.

The part of his game that stands out the most? Retrievals, frig is he ever quick to get to pucks, has the savvy and elusiveness to shake off F1 and start the breakout. At full maturity I'm confident he'll really help drive possession. The ability to play either side, provides a lot of flexibility as the Ducks look to build their future top 4 around him and Mintyukov (likely also Luneau).

At this point, I think we really just need a big shutdown guy to compliment the young D core we are building. Not too worried about being able to move pucks from the back end in the future.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Did he actually? Looked like Fowler's fault more than Zell but I haven't re watched it

Kid was put in a bad spot, he had his man in front of the net but Garland had Fowler beat behind the net and could have walked out in front or tried to jam, so I understand why he decided to leave the netfront. Garland ended up making a great play.

Fowler could recovered net front instead of chase and Strome could have seen what was coming and sagged to the goal and helped out on D instead of floating around the slot.

The kid could have played it a bit better, sure. But I blame the Ducks' shitty team defense for the breakdown and goal. Teams that aren't so pourous defensively would have handled that situation which should have been a nothing play. Trying to blame the kid indiviudally is dumb

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA

Kid was put in a bad spot, he had his man in front of the net but Garland had Fowler beat behind the net and could have walked out in front or tried to jam, so I understand why he decided to leave the netfront. Garland ended up making a great play.

Fowler could recovered net front instead of chase and Strome could have seen what was coming and sagged to the goal and helped out on D instead of floating around the slot.

The kid could have played it a bit better, sure. But I blame the Ducks' shitty team defense for the breakdown and goal. Teams that aren't so pourous defensively would have handled that situation which should have been a nothing play. Trying to blame the kid indiviudally is dumb

With the type of skater he is, it's also a play that he's probably been able to get away with most of his life. He could close the gap on the offensive player before he could do anything with it. The players are just better at the NHL level, so Zell is learning what he can, can't, and should do. As long as he learns, I have no problem with the mistake on the goal by a rookie D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad