Oldest player in franchise mode ever.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
IMO the solution would be to make more top 15 draft picks bust. In real life you see top 5 draft picks not reach their expected potential all the time but in the game you never end up with say a Yapukov or a Griffin Reinhart when you have a high pick.

Drafting is just too safe in this game.

You can actually select that as an option in NHL 21. When you are in Franchise mode, scroll to the "League Settings" tile and then select "Rules." You will see stuff like "Difficulty" and "Head Coach Edits Lines" but if you scroll to some of the options toward the bottom of the menu you will find stuff like "Trade Difficulty" which makes it easier or harder for the CPU to accept trades as well as the options "Draft Class Quality" and "Generated Prospect Quality" which you can adjust to get more/less strong draft classes and individual top prospects each season.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
You can actually select that as an option in NHL 21. When you are in Franchise mode, scroll to the "League Settings" tile and then select "Rules." You will see stuff like "Difficulty" and "Head Coach Edits Lines" but if you scroll to some of the options toward the bottom of the menu you will find stuff like "Trade Difficulty" which makes it easier or harder for the CPU to accept trades as well as the options "Draft Class Quality" and "Generated Prospect Quality" which you can adjust to get more/less strong draft classes and individual top prospects each season.

That doesn't seem to really address the problem so much as half-assedly work around it. I think what's broken is the prospect development. Example: Puljujarvi's draft year wasn't a weak class. Plenty of people were convinced of his talent. He just didn't turn out to be the player many thought he was. Counter: No one would've pegged Point as an elite talent in his draft year, or Olofsson as a potential 1st line winger in his, but those guys developed. EA's potentials and development paths are too rigidly fixed. There should be some random jumps/drop-offs in potential that mimic real-life development arcs.

Reactions: GOilers88

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
I could be wrong never screen capped it, but I vaguely remember in one save file in NHL 09 Chelios stayed in the UFA pool until age 70. That always caused me to laugh like a mad man for about 4 minutes, he was like a bad rash he just wouldn't go away.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
That doesn't seem to really address the problem so much as half-assedly work around it. I think what's broken is the prospect development. Example: Puljujarvi's draft year wasn't a weak class. Plenty of people were convinced of his talent. He just didn't turn out to be the player many thought he was. Counter: No one would've pegged Point as an elite talent in his draft year, or Olofsson as a potential 1st line winger in his, but those guys developed. EA's potentials and development paths are too rigidly fixed. There should be some random jumps/drop-offs in potential that mimic real-life development arcs.
Yeah I've always found it way too easy to draft yourself a team of super elites even without drafting in the first round. Was always easier to trade first rounders for elite players I liked and draft my game changers in the later rounds.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Came to post this!

Some goalies didn't even get that bad before nearing 50.

Correct!

What I found funny about NHL04 was how if your really deep in Dynasty Mode, almost none of the teams kept a profit.

If you had the 'International Super Scout' (max scouting) + max coaching, you were set for the whole sim. Nearly every team is handing out 15M + contracts to keep their 95+ overall players :laugh:

Reactions: Hockey Outsider

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Well over 100, Back in NHL 2000 if you had the minimum number of players on your roster they would not retire. As a kid I made my Grandpa (98 at the time) and had him play for the full number of allotted seasons they would allow back then.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
Well over 100, Back in NHL 2000 if you had the minimum number of players on your roster they would not retire. As a kid I made my Grandpa (98 at the time) and had him play for the full number of allotted seasons they would allow back then.

That's cool as it's always great to get your Grandpa involved. Did he know this?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad