Old school wood stick vs today's sticks.

jorbjorb

hello.
Dec 28, 2010
also with wood sticks the feel of the puck is almost unbeatable but now composite sticks are mimicking the feel with foam core blades. almost identical. all around composite sticks are lighter and are better when comes to quick release etc..

sorry if someone already said this stuff i'm too lazy to read above.

sanityplease

Jun 21, 2011
Some of us remember Al Iafrate shooting the puck 105.2 mph (& he's not 6'-9") with a koho revolution. I've always been hesitant to jump on the 'new technology is the best train'. Anyone remember those s-curved aluminum shafts (around the time of the easton aluminum)?, a guy I know had one & he acted like I was an idiot when I didn't buy into his hype.

Btw, wood sticks had a flex factor, the concept is not new to composites. & it's a lot easier to take/intercept a hard pass with a heavier stick.

If you play a 'shinny' type of hockey, wood is fine & can last a very long time. I roll my eyes when a 130 lb 16 year old @ the sports store tells me that he started using $250 sticks & would never go back. I only laugh because when he's got a wife/maybe ex-wife/mortgage/car payments/insurance/dog food/cat food/renovations/medical bills etc. etc. etc. his opinion will probably change.

It took me a long time to convert to comp's. Composites are much more durable & affordable ones have become available over the last 3-4years.

Last edited:

sanityplease

Jun 21, 2011
Will really low temperatures compromise the durability of composites in any way? I've never owned one myself but seen plenty of composite floorball sticks brake after drives to away games in my youth. Which is what has deterred me from purchasing one as I want something that lasts quite a while, especially when paying that kind of money.

I primarly skate on outdoor rinks, no matches or anything, so not a whole lot of slashes and chopping going on, just the odd slapshot and some wristers.

Didn't realize this was a bump..

Not sure about the low temperature thing, interesting question, I've shattered a few pucks outside on really cold nights, so I guess it's possible. I wouldn't worry too much about it though, get something that you can comfortably afford & you feel good about.

nolan91

Dec 9, 2011
Vancouver,BC
love the feel and pricetag that comes with the woodie but hate how the blade cracks and distorts after a couple skates.

top end compos are obviously the best you can get but i'd take a sherwood over a budget level composite that's clunky and overall a waste of an extra 20 ducks

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
They haven't really come down in price so much as cheaper models have been released. I'd take the old Synergy from 10 years ago over any of the sub-$100 crap on the shelves.

Those are classic sticks. I have a sakic game used one hanging on the wall in the man cave. Sometimes I dream about taking some shots with it, but I'd kill myself if I broke it and I probably would too. I just wish I pulled the trigger on a forsberg game used when I saw one for sale on ebay. Even though the price was high ($500) I doubt I'll see another one listed.

hockeymass

Feb 13, 2012
Depends on the composite. There's really no comparison at all between something like the Bauer Vapor APX and any kind of wood stick, the APX just blows them all away. A high quality wood stick might give better performance than something like an X:15, though.

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
Composites are new until they day they die, and they last a lot longer then most people think, and when they do break, it's often the blade, not the shaft.

This is the only thing you're wrong on. I sart to notice a lack in performance after a couple months in my sticks and a lot of my buddies do as well.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I've been tinkering with sticks for a long time. I'm 25, played since I was 3, played triple A, junior etc. I will say this, I'm currently using a Synergy Zetterberg with a 75 flex. That's right, a 75 flex lol. I always used around 100 flex but after hearing about guys like Cammalleri and Kessel using the crazy high flex sticks I decided to give it a go and I love it...for the most part. Absolutely quick release,incredibly light, nice feel, all the things you want in a stick. Just one problem however; accepting passes, especially hard passes, can be tricky. Due to the high flex, taking a pass can actually bend the stick so if you want to release the shot right away, you'd better have soft hands when going with this flex.

I'm talking here about going down the proper wing(a right handed shot going down the right side) not the off-wing. On two on ones when I get a pass I have to hesitate for a split second when receiving a pass if I want to really get a hard shot off otherwise the whip will screw up the shot and it ends up in the corner. This was/is never a problem when I switch over to my 100 flex synergy which seems like it has no flex at all compared to the 75. Keep in mind, I don't have much of a curve, never understood why some players love those huge toe curves, personal preference I suppose. I recommend trying a 75 flex no matter what your build is, you'll be in for a surprise.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
This is the only thing you're wrong on. I sart to notice a lack in performance after a couple months in my sticks and a lot of my buddies do as well.

Composites do soften up over time, sometimes becoming more whippier and having the blade go softer. Not to the extent of a wood stick's degradation though for sure.

shawn1331

Oct 17, 2011
Some of us remember Al Iafrate shooting the puck 105.2 mph (& he's not 6'-9") with a koho revolution. I've always been hesitant to jump on the 'new technology is the best train'. Anyone remember those s-curved aluminum shafts (around the time of the easton aluminum)?, a guy I know had one & he acted like I was an idiot when I didn't buy into his hype.

Btw, wood sticks had a flex factor, the concept is not new to composites. & it's a lot easier to take/intercept a hard pass with a heavier stick.

If you play a 'shinny' type of hockey, wood is fine & can last a very long time. I roll my eyes when a 130 lb 16 year old @ the sports store tells me that he started using $250 sticks & would never go back. I only laugh because when he's got a wife/maybe ex-wife/mortgage/car payments/insurance/dog food/cat food/renovations/medical bills etc. etc. etc. his opinion will probably change.

It took me a long time to convert to comp's. Composites are much more durable & affordable ones have become available over the last 3-4years.

Ignorant post IMO, nothing personal of course.

But to say that a hockey stick is unaffordable at $250 is a lame excuse not to buy one. I'll admit I don't buy them for full price at $250, but there is a HUGE difference between an easton RS and an easton Triple core woody. You almost can't go back if you liked the RS, it's nearly impossible.

Although you did say there are some affordable ones out there, and I am using an Easton 65S right now, that clocked in at $102.55. It's by far the best $100 stick I've ever used and in my experience lighter than S19. My teamates compared.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I prefer an aluminum shaft. A teammate of mine plays with woodies. I was curious and bought some Easton stick that retailed at $120, damn thing broke after 10 games. I can't recall having it slashed or anything, and the damn thing broke right in the middle and came apart in my hands. That was nice, I couldn't even salvage it to keep the shaft. Too much money to have wasted on that, I just bought a few blades for my 20-year old aluminums and have been fine. I still have the deadliest wrister on my team, old stick and everything.

hockeymass

Feb 13, 2012
I prefer an aluminum shaft. A teammate of mine plays with woodies. I was curious and bought some Easton stick that retailed at $120, damn thing broke after 10 games. I can't recall having it slashed or anything, and the damn thing broke right in the middle and came apart in my hands. That was nice, I couldn't even salvage it to keep the shaft. Too much money to have wasted on that, I just bought a few blades for my 20-year old aluminums and have been fine. I still have the deadliest wrister on my team, old stick and everything.

Unfortunately, s*** happens. Sometimes they break after two months, sometimes they last for 10 years like my Si-Core did.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Unfortunately, s*** happens. Sometimes they break after two months, sometimes they last for 10 years like my Si-Core did.

Of course, as with anything. Having such bad luck in my first go-round really didn't leave a decent taste in my mouth. I had no real reason to switch from my aluminums anyway, so I felt no reason to try again. I figured that was a sign to stay with what I had :laugh:

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Of course, as with anything. Having such bad luck in my first go-round really didn't leave a decent taste in my mouth. I had no real reason to switch from my aluminums anyway, so I felt no reason to try again. I figured that was a sign to stay with what I had :laugh:

Do you periodically have to bend it the other way to re-straighten it? :laugh:

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
If you mean the same thing as 'taking/giving passes, shooting, poke checking' then yes. And I suppose those guys are just great shooters skill-wise. You could take any NHL player (or highly skilled rec player for that matter) and watch them shoot with one wood and one composite and I doubt you watching could tell the difference, but they most definitely could. There are always exceptions but no one can deny anymore that a good wood cannot compare to a good composite.

sanityplease

Jun 21, 2011
Ignorant post IMO, nothing personal of course.

But to say that a hockey stick is unaffordable at $250 is a lame excuse not to buy one. I'll admit I don't buy them for full price at $250, but there is a HUGE difference between an easton RS and an easton Triple core woody. You almost can't go back if you liked the RS, it's nearly impossible.

Although you did say there are some affordable ones out there, and I am using an Easton 65S right now, that clocked in at $102.55. It's by far the best $100 stick I've ever used and in my experience lighter than S19. My teamates compared.

My opinion isn't ignorant, btw.

I played in a very competetive/rough mens's/industrial league (fighting was very common especially nearing & in the playoff) + tournaments up to 2 years ago. I went through 4 sticks the last year totalling $600-700. I have since had a baby & started playing in a less competetive/cheaper/time consuming league (guess it would be a C, going by standards on here), I now have 2 cheap sherwood comp's (I'm not a worse player for using them btw) totalling $70 on a deal for two & have 5030's for back up. Since my hockey budget was low this year I'm spending some of the money/time I saved to take an advanced adult player development clinic this year to keep me in form (10 weeks for $200 with professional player development coaches).

& yes $250 sticks are too expensive/not worth it for some people........

evilmishi

Mar 7, 2012
Wood VS Composite sticks

what are the big differences between the two, performance wise?

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011
a composite is lighter, more durable and has a better bang for your buck

the biggest difference is that the composite will preform 100% till it breaks, but a wood will lose performance quite quickly

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
a composite is lighter, more durable and has a better bang for your buck

the biggest difference is that the composite will preform 100% till it breaks, but a wood will lose performance quite quickly

not necessarily true. i know plenty of guys with heavy shots where the blade and/or shaft will go soft on them well before the stick breaks, but will lose it's original "pop".

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011
not necessarily true. i know plenty of guys with heavy shots where the blade and/or shaft will go soft on them well before the stick breaks, but will lose it's original "pop".

its alot more true than a wood, and for rec league players this is 100 true because the sticks dont take the beating that higher level hockey players do

deems

Mar 12, 2012
Toronto
I would say the weight is #1...by far. I even normally spent $60 for a composite Bauer x20 and dished out $200 for a Bauer x60...the difference in weight is significantly noticeable. I don't think I can spend 200 on a stick again but I will probably go for something in the middle, maybe $100. You never think you need a lighter stick or how much lighter can they get but stick handling and releasing shots see a difference. #2 you can get stiffness according to your height and weight. You can't with a wooden stick. Wood does become weaker...especially when the blade begins to split and you keep playing and getting water in there. It just wears down faster....wears faster but I don't think wood breaks as fast as composites do. Although, when a wood break it looks more bad ass!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad