"Old" computer games

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
My visit visit to the emporium.

Trying to figure out if there's a community out there that would be interested in what are probably 25-ish year old games for Macs. I have Myst and Dragon's Lair. I also have Loom for Mac but it uses 3.5-inch floppy discs.

I also have OS9 and Appleworks 6.

Before I decide these are trash, are there collectors and/or players for this type of thing? Not really even interested in whether there's a "market" just if there are people who would want them. Is it even a thing?

Thanks.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Before I decide these are trash, are there collectors and/or players for this type of thing? Not really even interested in whether there's a "market" just if there are people who would want them. Is it even a thing?

I don't understand the distinction. If people want them, there's a market for them. Are you saying that you're interesting in giving them away instead of selling them?

There are collectors of old games, yes. If you have the boxes and manuals, that'll make them even more desirable. Myst, Dragon's Lair and Loom are all classic games that people are liable to want.

I would just put them up individually on eBay. You can decide whether you want to try to make money off of them or basically give them away (ex. $1 starting bid, but winner pays for shipping). If no one wants them, there's no cost to you other than the time spent. If they sell, then you know that they're going to someone who wants them.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I don't understand the distinction. If people want them, there's a market for them. Are you saying that you're interesting in giving them away instead of selling them?

There are collectors of old games, yes. If you have the boxes and manuals, that'll make them even more desirable. Myst, Dragon's Lair and Loom are all classic games that people are liable to want.

I would just put them up individually on eBay. You can decide whether you want to try to make money off of them or basically give them away (ex. $1 starting bid, but winner pays for shipping). If no one wants them, there's no cost to you other than the time spent. If they sell, then you know that they're going to someone who wants them.

Interested in whether or not anyone was aware of potential general interest in the items, which you answered.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Interested in whether or not anyone was aware of potential general interest in the items, which you answered.

You'd be best to take a quick look on ebay, but I don't think there's as much a collectors market for old PC games as there is console? Also if people want to play those games they can probably get a working copy for a modern OS cheap on GoG (Good old Games).

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
You'd be best to take a quick look on ebay, but I don't think there's as much a collectors market for old PC games as there is console? Also if people want to play those games they can probably get a working copy for a modern OS cheap on GoG (Good old Games).

There are some people who maintain old computers for playing old games (ex. a 90s-era computer in order to play 90s-era games) and who need the original versions of games in order to play on them. They might buy the original CDs or floppy disks even if that's all that's being sold. There aren't very many of those people out there, but there are some.

There are also people who mostly really want the boxes and manuals. They may never put the discs or disks in a computer and may buy and play updated versions of games from GoG or elsewhere, instead, but they want to be able to put the boxes on their shelves and occasionally read real, printed manuals. There are more of those people. I still have most of my original PC game boxes and manuals and would consider adding if I saw the box and manuals for a game that I loved.

In either case, buyers aren't liable to pay much or close to the price that some old console games go for (unless the boxes are still sealed; I sold a sealed, 20-year-old game on eBay for $25 a few years ago), but you may get a few bucks and feel good about not throwing the game away.

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Boxed Myst is probably worth something, PC version would probably be worth more unfortunately. Not sure about Dragon's Lair though it does have its hardcore fans. But that was originally a cab so the ports might not be worth as much.

Thanks. ‘Worth’ to me is gravy. Just inquiring as to whether there would actually be folks out there somewhere who could potentially want them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad