News Article: OKC Barons Shutting Down, Oilers to Move AHL Franchise

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
So I felt this was thread worthy

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=744657&navid=DL|EDM|home

The Edmonton Oilers announced today they are ending affiliation with Prodigal Sports, operators of the Oilers’ American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate, the Oklahoma City Barons at the end of the 2014-15 season.

The mutual decision between the Oilers and Prodigal comes after considerable negotiations on an affiliation extension agreement were unsuccessful.

“The players, coaches and fans of the OKC Barons have been outstanding partners to our organization as our development team affiliate. We have enjoyed a solid working relationship with the City of Oklahoma City as well as with Prodigal, the Barons’ management company, throughout the team’s five years,†said Oilers Entertainment Group President & COO Patrick LaForge. “The decision to move on from Oklahoma City, although not easy, will open new opportunities for the Oilers organization and our AHL business.â€

“We want to thank Bob Funk Jr. and his team at Prodigal for their partnership in bringing professional hockey to Oklahoma City.â€

The Edmonton Oilers AHL development system has been located in Oklahoma City since the 2010-11 AHL season.

Interesting to say the least, wonder where they move the team? Lowtide suggested Bakersfield and possible Saskatoon. Toon town would be interesting.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
i would doubt saskatoon just because the the travel costs might offset the gate revenue brought in.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Ahh, who needs a farm team anyway, just shut it down.

Maybe in a few years start it up again in the Coliseum and call it the Roadrunners.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Very thread worthy.

Saskatoon would be a very good place to go, they would get fantastic support there.

If Abbotsford hadn't failed, I could see that.

I expect the new AHL affiliate to be around a cluster of other AHL teams. The AHL can't afford the travel to an isolated affiliate.

Ditto for Bakersfield unless 3 other affiliates move out west with us.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
proposal: move the AHL team to Edmonton and the NHL team to Seattle

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Will have to see more details but this reeks of the oiler empire once again tossing aside loyal fans that have supported them because they may not be making a maximum buck. They stay with minor league teams only if they are making good bucks, see another opportunity and it's good bye see ya later.

Once again showing the idiocy of the old mantra, you have to be loyal fans and support a team no matter what.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Will have to see more details but this reeks of the oiler empire once again tossing aside loyal fans that have supported them because they may not be making a maximum buck. They stay with minor league teams only if they are making good bucks, see another opportunity and it's good bye see ya later.

Once again showing the idiocy of the old mantra, you have to be loyal fans and support a team no matter what.

According to Mark Spector the Barons average 3219, 5th worst in the AHL. So this is pretty dumb considering the actual numbers.

Sucks for the fans in OKC, but it shouldn't operate at a loss, because what's point. Whether you're fed up with the NHL team or not.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Its gotta be a bus ride away from Texas considering the team in that division.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Very thread worthy.

Saskatoon would be a very good place to go, they would get fantastic support there.

Saskatoon

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

Mike Babcock is from Saskatchewan [well so is Todd Nelson but who cares...]

The_Signs_movie.jpg

:sarcasm:

Peter Zezel

Sep 12, 2003
Dreger tweeted a AHL west division could launch next year made up of LA, ANA, SJ, CGY & EDM. So I'm guessing the the new AHL team will be out east?

dem

Mar 17, 2002
I cant see an AHL team doing well in Saskatoon..

I actually think having a CHL team is much more desirable in Canada than an AHL team.

Probably going to Bakersfield.

jlockhart89

Humboldt Strong
Jul 16, 2004
Humboldt, SK
Do the Priestner's have any connection to Oilers ownership? Only reason I ask is because the Priestner's took over ownership of the Saskatoon Blade's last summer.

Total left field wacko conspiracy theory but possibly the Priestner's got their foot in the door in a large city with an AHL ready building last year, knowing this may come down the pipe this year and look at moving in the Oilers AHL team.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
According to Mark Spector the Barons average 3219, 5th worst in the AHL. So this is pretty dumb considering the actual numbers.

Sucks for the fans in OKC, but it shouldn't operate at a loss, because what's point. Whether you're fed up with the NHL team or not.

Just take a photo of the next oielr minor league move with the boys talking about how thrilled they are to be in such and such a city who have just built a new arena who have just been given then x,y,z concessions.

Rather than spending any money to build a brand they just vacate without giving a shi* about what they got from the team.

Roadrunners, OKC, baseball....gee I wonder how hard they are looking at bringing a decent ball team back to edmonton? If the Oil Kings faltered a bit and a better market in their eyes opened up tomorrow they'd be out and in just like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad