Prospect Info: OKC Barons 2014/15

Oilers Apologist

Jun 28, 2013
Edmonton, AB
It will be a different looking team or the 2014/15 OKC Baron. Finally some youth has arrived at the forward position, which is headlined by 6'5 center Bogdan Yakimov. Other notable rookies are former WHL'ers Khaira and Moroz. Both are large, grinding forwards who are tough to compete against. With the uncertainty surrounding the big club, the barons have some strong vets in the mix as well including Williams, Pinizzotto, and Ryan Hamilton. There's a bit of uncertainty on the back end, but that comes with the territory of developing players. 4 of the 6 main defenceman have under 2 years played. Gernat and Musil are coming back for their second year. Simpson and Oesterle are entering their first pro season. The only vet on the back end is offensive defenceman Brad Hunt. There is some stability in the crease as Richard Bachman will likely be the starter, with Brossoit the back up. The team could look a lot differently in a month if a trade or waiver pick up were to occur, as the following players all have a chance at being sent down:

- Lander/Arcobello/Pitlick/Acton

- Aulie/Marincin/Klefbom

Bachman
Brossoit
Bunz/Tuohimaa

Bunz and Tuohimaa likely to play for the Condors this year, but still have a chance at pushing LB for the backup role.

Gernat - Davidson
Simpson - Hunt
Musil - Oesterle
Craig - Ludwig

A hefty amount of left handed defenceman means their could be some trouble early on as chemistry might be a problem. Gernat had a strong season last year and is the top defensive prospect for OKC if Klefbom makes the Oil.

R. Hamilton - Yakimov - Ford
Moroz - Williams - Pakarinen
Miller - Khaira - Pinizzotto
C. Hamilton - Ewanyk - Kessy
C. Jones - K. Jones - Holmberg

Not a strong group of forwards, but it is a young group. Will be lots of line juggling in the first month as there are 5 new forwards in the mix. If Yakimov has a strong start he's likely to get called up sooner rather than later. Keep an eye on Khaira, Pakarinen, and Moroz.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I think one of Marincin/Klefbom will be sent down. One of Lander/Arcobello/Pitlick will be in OKC too.

OilBuoy

Sep 8, 2006
Here's what I think we're looking at for a possible OKC Barons lineup this coming season:

Forwards
Ryan Hamilton-Jason Williams-Tyler Pitlick/Jesse Joensuu
Curtis Hamilton-Bogdan Yakimov-Andrew Miller
Mitch Moroz-Jujhar Khaira-Iiro Pakarinen
Travis Ewanyk-Will Acton-Steve Pinizzotto
Kale Kessy/Matt Ford

Defense
Oscar Klefbom-David Musil
Brad Hunt-Brandon Davidson
Martin Gernat-Dillon Simpson
Jordan Oesterle

Goalies
Richard Bachman
Laurent Brossoit

ECHL Bound: Tyler Bunz, Frans Tuohimaa, Graeme Craig, CJ Ludwig, Mitch Holmberg, Kellen Jones, Connor Jones, Josh Winquist and Ty Rimmer also being sent somewhere else (possibly back to the CHL's Quad City?)

If the Oilers don't add any more forwards then we could see both Arcobello and Lander on the big team along with one of Pitlick or Pinizzotto on the 4th line wing which could push Joensuu to OKC.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Here's what I think we're looking at for a possible OKC Barons lineup this coming season:

Forwards
Ryan Hamilton-Jason Williams-Tyler Pitlick/Jesse Joensuu
Curtis Hamilton-Bogdan Yakimov-Andrew Miller
Mitch Moroz-Jujhar Khaira-Iiro Pakarinen
Travis Ewanyk-Will Acton-Steve Pinizzotto
Kale Kessy/Matt Ford

Defense
Oscar Klefbom-David Musil
Brad Hunt-Brandon Davidson
Martin Gernat-Dillon Simpson
Jordan Oesterle

Goalies
Richard Bachman
Laurent Brossoit

ECHL Bound: Tyler Bunz, Frans Tuohimaa, Graeme Craig, CJ Ludwig, Mitch Holmberg, Kellen Jones, Connor Jones, Josh Winquist and Ty Rimmer also being sent somewhere else (possibly back to the CHL's Quad City?)

If the Oilers don't add any more forwards then we could see both Arcobello and Lander on the big team along with one of Pitlick or Pinizzotto on the 4th line wing which could push Joensuu to OKC.

This is a thousand times more realistic than the OP.

Klefbom has no chance at cracking the NHL next season. He looked good, but we just got Aulie (#7) Nikitin and Fayne, so that pushes him out and more than makes up for the loss of Belov.

Hall-Hopkins-Eberle
Perron-LD-Yakupov/Purcell
Pouliot-Gordon-Yakupov/Purcell
Lander-Hendricks-Acro (don't ask me who plays where on this strange line)
Gazdic

No way Pitlick starts the year in the NHL, either. THere's a chance that Acrobello gets the 3rd line job with Purcell and Pouliot leaving Gordon to center Hendricks and Lander. Who knows. But either way Pitlick starts the year in the AHL. He needs to find a way to stay healthy, but he's exactly what we want in a bottom 6 forward.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
This is a thousand times more realistic than the OP.

Klefbom has no chance at cracking the NHL next season. He looked good, but we just got Aulie (#7) Nikitin and Fayne, so that pushes him out and more than makes up for the loss of Belov.

Hall-Hopkins-Eberle
Perron-LD-Yakupov/Purcell
Pouliot-Gordon-Yakupov/Purcell
Lander-Hendricks-Acro (don't ask me who plays where on this strange line)
Gazdic

No way Pitlick starts the year in the NHL, either. THere's a chance that Acrobello gets the 3rd line job with Purcell and Pouliot leaving Gordon to center Hendricks and Lander. Who knows. But either way Pitlick starts the year in the AHL. He needs to find a way to stay healthy, but he's exactly what we want in a bottom 6 forward.

If Pitlick impresses in the TC I could see him pushing both Joenssu and Lander down the depth chart. He's simply a better fit for the 4th line. The only thing between him and the NHL at this point is his health.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
If Pitlick impresses in the TC I could see him pushing both Joenssu and Lander down the depth chart. He's simply a better fit for the 4th line. The only thing between him and the NHL at this point is his health.

Agreed.

He is also supposed to have a really good shot. Really has all the tools skills to be an NHLer for a long time. Nothing exceptional but nothing overly weak either. Just needs to put it all together and stay healthy.

Nelson has been pretty high on him too.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011

It depends. If the plan to go with a shutdown "4th" line instead of a classical energy line sticks, then Lander is a better fit. Also both Lander and Arco were a stratosphere above Pitlick last season he'd have to take a pretty big leap to pass one of them. Hopefully he can.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada

Very good point. Acrobello is the better player and I totally agree that Pitlick would make a much better 4th liner. He's bigger, faster, seems to have a better looking shot and he throws the body around.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Pitlick is a bandaid... we actually have to see the guy hold together for an extended stretch to see if he has NHL level abilities.

Of course to beat out Lander it won't take much as he's shown almost nothing at the NHL level. I don't know if Lander plays it too safe when he gets his chances with the Oilers... or the game is too fast at the NHL level... but he's just not showing anything to make a case for himself. Could certainly be his last kick at the can before he follows Omark/Rajala/Hartikainen/Horak etc overseas for a career in Europe.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So what happens with Moroz? I read that article on the Oil site that has him 4th on our prospect list. What caught my eye was Howson's assessment talking about how he was stuck until this year with the Kings. So do the Oilers use past history and just use the AHL to their advantage and continue giving this kid the offensive chances or do they make him earn it?

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Lander wont clear waivers--too many scouts are high on the guy

Lander, Pitlick, Arco, and maybe even Joensuu.

None of these guys are going to make it through waivers. They are all at least part time NHLers. They all are at the graduating age/stage of their careers. With their draft pedigree/skill sets many teams would take a chance on them improving with a change in scenery/coaching.

I hope to hell we manage to keep at least the first three of those guys away from waivers. Nothing worse than seeing a prospect like that go somewhere else and become exactly what you hoped... just for that other team.

McDeathbyCheerios*

So what happens with Moroz? I read that article on the Oil site that has him 4th on our prospect list. What caught my eye was Howson's assessment talking about how he was stuck until this year with the Kings. So do the Oilers use past history and just use the AHL to their advantage and continue giving this kid the offensive chances or do they make him earn it?
Moroz should at least get top 9 minutes as it fits his play style. He has too many offensive tools to be pushed down to a 4th AHL line.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

None of these guys are going to make it through waivers. They are all at least part time NHLers. They all are at the graduating age/stage of their careers. With their draft pedigree/skill sets many teams would take a chance on them improving with a change in scenery/coaching.

I hope to hell we manage to keep at least the first three of those guys away from waivers. Nothing worse than seeing a prospect like that go somewhere else and become exactly what you hoped... just for that other team.

I don't doubt some could get picked up, but we hear the samething every year. The fact is teams have their own players to worry about. Last year 5 guys were taking off waivers before November. Two of them were Mac and Gazdic.

I'd also add that if you are a center and can't make the Oilers that teams probably are going to start questioning what is up.

Last edited:

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Zero chance Marincin gets sent down
Almost zero chance Arcobello gets sent down.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Draisatl-Yakupov
Pouliot-Arcobello-Purcell
Hendricks-Gordon-Pitlick
Lander Gazdic

Arcobello will be on the team. he's good enough on this roster and he's on a 1 way contract. I'd prefer not to expose Pitlick or Lander to waiver. Joenssu can go, unless he blows everyone out of the water in training camp.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I don't doubt some could get picked up, but we hear the samething every year. The fact is teams have their own players to worry about. Last year 5 guys were taking off waivers before November. Two of them were Mac and Gazdic.

I'd also add that if you are a center and can't make the Oilers that teams probably are going to start questioning what is up.

Yeah, most teams have their own projects who get waived all the time. Still highly drafted players do get claimed (see e.g.Scremp, Chorney etc). But I guess the counter-argument is if you get waived by the Oilers, you probably should not be in the NHL ))

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Really depends on the player. As the above poster reiterated draft position makes a big difference tho. As does size, skill, 2 way, NHL experience, ect...

Our prospects/players (Arco, Lander, Pitlick) have a solid combination of said tangibles. While the actual NHL value of these players is low they are still very valuable for their situation.

Potter got snatched up pretty quick by a pretty deep Boston team because he was a solid depth player. I would be very surprised if any of the three didn't get snapped up in waivers.

Arco, Lander, and Pitlick are not like say Omark. They are not perimeter players with question marks everywhere.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Really depends on the player. As the above poster reiterated draft position makes a big difference tho. As does size, skill, 2 way, NHL experience, ect...

Our prospects/players (Arco, Lander, Pitlick) have a solid combination of said tangibles. While the actual NHL value of these players is low they are still very valuable for their situation.

Potter got snatched up pretty quick by a pretty deep Boston team because he was a solid depth player. I would be very surprised if any of the three didn't get snapped up in waivers.

Arco, Lander, and Pitlick are not like say Omark. They are not perimeter players with question marks everywhere.
There's a big difference in adding a guy of waivers late in the year as opposed to right out of camp. Again if you can't make the Oilers as a 4th line center, who the hell is going to want you? They might get picked up, but I don't expect any huge loss to the team.

McLotto 97

Believe in 13.5%
Mar 14, 2011
Edmonton
IIRC When a player gets sent down and gets claimed on waivers, the team claiming him must keep them on their NHL roster. If they send them to the AHL then the oilers get first choice to reclaim them before going back on general waivers.

So unless you think Lander or Arco are better than what your team has...no sense claiming them. And if you aren't making the Oilers, chances are you are not making any other NHL team

Hockey Monkey

Oct 4, 2011
Hello 14/15 Barons thread.

My line projections:

Ryan Hamilton / Andrew Miller / Matt Ford
Irio Pakarinen / Tyler Pitlick / Jason Williams
Mitch Moroz / Wil Acton / Steve Pinizzotto
Curtis Hamilton / Jujar Khaira / Bogdan Yakimov

Kale Kessy, Travis Ewanyk, Joneses, Josh Winquist

Brad Hunt / Brandon Davidson
Oscar Klefbom / David Musil
Dillon Simpson / Martin Gernat
Graeme Craig / CJ Ludwig
Jordan Oesterle

Bachman / ?

For forwards, Nelson tends to favor physical, defensively responsible players who really buy into his system. In general he tends to give more ice time to players who fit this mold. He prefers defensemen who can move the puck well out of their own end and who play sound positionally versus big hitters or offensive dynamos.

The number of LHD is pretty hilarious...the ratio is 8 to 1. It'd probably be smart for the Oilers to swap one of these guys out for a RHD before training camp. It is a younger defensive group; I'd really like to see at least one more veteran RHD picked up at some point (preferably an offensive-minded guy).

The forward group looks about average. Wings are stronger, center depth is pretty poor. If Lander or Arco gets sent down it makes this group look a whole lot better. Wingers as a unit are big, fast, and physical.

Bachman is an excellent AHL starter/NHL backup guy, none of the younger guys have ever really impressed at the AHL level. Whoever is chosen for the backup probably (hopefully) won't see too much time.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
IIRC When a player gets sent down and gets claimed on waivers, the team claiming him must keep them on their NHL roster. If they send them to the AHL then the oilers get first choice to reclaim them before going back on general waivers.

So unless you think Lander or Arco are better than what your team has...no sense claiming them. And if you aren't making the Oilers, chances are you are not making any other NHL team

With Leon fighting for a spot with those guys it's entirely possible they play well and end up on waivers. Although I admit I didn't know that the oilers can get a chance to counter waivers if another team sends said player back to the
AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad