Speculation: Ok Leaf Fans. Let's Re-tool!

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Trade Mitch for a legit #1 D-man.

Let Tavares play out his contract, resign him for anything under 3.5 next summer.

With the 7.5 off Tavares, plus cap increase, plus depth forward contracts expiring. I'd make a big play for McDavid the following summer. (Yes, pipe dream, but they have come true before)

This coming year is not the year, see what we have with our young forwards and give them experience and ice time.

Woll has great potential, keep him, check in on hildebeast, look for solution I'm the mean time.

I mean there's a million different scenarios and ways to go, this is just one thought and a stretch at that given it's very rare the best hockey player in the world moves. But Gretzky played for 4 teams sooo anythings possible.

I just know Mitch needs to go. El Capitan could be asked to waive as well but I just don't see it happening.

Defense needs to be our major focus moving forward, even structurally with a new coach for the forwards to compete and buy into it, so we need a true #1 and better 3-4. I have no issues with Rielly being 2-3.

Anyways, long rant about nothing lol. We shall see what happens, lots of options. Just please for the love of god actually try something new and different.

It's all I ask.

sunstersun

May 12, 2017
Why?

1 player is the only reason this team is mediocre in the post-season?
No Tavares is the other big reason. But the difference is it was expected that Tavares would decline and Marner would be in his ultra prime and be much better.

Instead he's much worse.

Besides, why this "only," word? How about biggest reason?

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Alleged offer sheet.
I don’t think Marner gets moved for Seth Jones.

There’s a few teams I think Marner looks at, CBJ has to be one of them, he was willing to sign an offersheet there. I think he’d take a trade to anywhere in western Canada and probably LA or Dallas. Ideally Calgary or Dallas would be the top two places. I think those two could make a trade work with the assets they have.
I don’t think there has been any proof of a real offer sheet…….more than likely a figment of his agent imagination to scare Dubas into submission.
Agent 1
Dubas 0

Reactions: ToneDog

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Why?

1 player is the only reason this team is mediocre in the post-season?
1 player who needs to be played heavy minutes due to his cap hit who is a NEGATIVE on the ice in the playoffs. Who eats up 11M of cap hit. Beyond the reality that he's part of your leadership circle and is a parameter weak player with no compete. So his cap/his attitude/his cap hit

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
1 player who needs to be played heavy minutes due to his cap hit who is a NEGATIVE on the ice in the playoffs. Who eats up 11M of cap hit. Beyond the reality that he's part of your leadership circle and is a parameter weak player with no compete. So his cap/his attitude/his cap hit
Forgive me if I don't agree with you. The problem with TOR is a group of obviously related units of which the degree and nature of the relationship is imperfectly known. In other words it's complex. ;)

I don't know. A lot of fans just don't like a player's face, and they just don't admit that they hate their face.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Forgive me if I don't agree with you. The problem with TOR is a group of obviously related units of which the degree and nature of the relationship is imperfectly known. In other words it's complex. ;)

I don't know. A lot of fans just don't like a player's face, and they just don't admit that they hate their face.
It’s not the face, it’s the vibe given off.
That being said, it’s not one player, it the sum.
2 need to go for a different culture and balance at missing areas.
Matthews isn’t going anywhere.
Tavares will become UFA in a year so there is 1 of 2.
Nylander is signed for 8 and I am against paying Marner more. If you think you can get a stud D for Nylander instead, ok, go for it.
But right now, Marner makes the most sense from all angles. Intensity, playoff style, team balance and salary cap adjustment.

The 4 up front doesn’t work. Move to 2, then a D, then a goalie. The new core and fill in around.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Nylander is signed for 8 and I am against paying Marner more. If you think you can get a stud D for Nylander instead, ok, go for it.
But right now, Marner makes the most sense from all angles. Intensity, playoff style, team balance and salary cap adjustment.

The 4 up front doesn’t work. Move to 2, then a D, then a goalie. The new core and fill in around.
By the time they fill around the core, Matthews will be in the final 1 or 2 yrs on his new deal.
Depending on how he performs in the playoffs they may decide to move him, assuming they are not just in the jersey selling business.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
By the time they fill around the core, Matthews will be in the final 1 or 2 yrs on his new deal.
Depending on how he performs in the playoffs they may decide to move him, assuming they are not just in the jersey selling business.
That’s why the next 2 years are crucial. It takes time to draft but if you are moving out 22 million in salary, you can look at free agents such as Montour, Pesce, Guentzel, Marchessault, etc. Then you can also obtain higher level prospects in a Marner trade to add to Knies, Minten, Cowen moving forward.

Run it back, you have 4 guys in double digits, no additional prospects and money to pursue UFAs. Then in addition to running it back, you expect a different result.

Reactions: myleafs

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Perhaps not for you but it is for many. It's comical the disparaging comments that are being made that have nothing to do with on ice performance.
Even more comical that people think their view is meaningful and should be taken seriously. :laugh:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Perhaps not for you but it is for many. It's comical the disparaging comments that are being made that have nothing to do with on ice performance.
Even more comical that people think their view is meaningful and should be taken seriously. :laugh:
Unfortunately, that’s going to happen after repeated failures. Things have been allowed to remain the same for too long and it will only get worse. Management has caused a festering of repeated do it again. I wish no one ill, 4 good players but as a sum in tense competition not so much. Unfortunately. Nobody wanted to be here like this.

Maybe Marner has already approached the team about a trade and that’s why we are suddenly hearing about this patience and everything on the table. That at least would take the onus off Marner being moved by management vs. straight up asking out.
Maybe he gets dealt, maybe not, I don’t believe management until I see it.
That’s also why I think he might waive if asked. It can get even more toxic.
This summer will be huge or venom. Most likely both.

Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Unfortunately, that’s going to happen after repeated failures. Things have been allowed to remain the same for too long and it will only get worse. Management has caused a festering of repeated do it again. I wish no one ill, 4 good players but as a sum in tense competition not so much. Unfortunately. Nobody wanted to be here like this.

Maybe Marner has already approached the team about a trade and that’s why we are suddenly hearing about this patience and everything on the table. That at least would take the onus off Marner being moved by management vs. straight up asking out.
Maybe he gets dealt, maybe not, I don’t believe management until I see it.
That’s also why I think he might waive if asked. It can get even more toxic.
This summer will be huge or venom. Most likely both.
No idea but I'm going to see if I can find out what's going on.

Reactions: Trapper

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Trade Mitch for a legit #1 D-man.
From who exactly ?

Though an amazing talent, Marner's stock is dropping worse than Truth Social.

Between his price tag and the mountain of evidence / coverage indicating that the Leaf HAVE TO move him, I highly doubt any GM will be offering up a legit #1 D.

Reactions: Leafshater67

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
From who exactly ?

Though an amazing talent, Marner's stock is dropping worse than Truth Social.

Between his price tag and the mountain of evidence / coverage indicating that the Leaf HAVE TO move him, I highly doubt any GM will be offering up a legit #1 D.
I don't think the club has to move him and can conduct business accordingly. There's a need to change what can be changed, we agree. But the primary motivation should be to make the team better. If that means not making a move for a move's sake in order say we got something for Marner, like say Markstrom, then our club should pause and play the scenario out until the right option(s) are available.

Short of that, he sits at some point and leaves at some point, and the club gains his previous hit, without any contracts that would have an equally cumbersome, distractive presence coming back.

I think operating like we're not compelled to would be evidence that we learned our lessons from Dubas' time.

And I think Treliving is close enough to Tkachuk to be mindful of the need to seek options outside the media driven either-or dynamic.

Reactions: egd27

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
The definition of retool is:

Marner is traded.

Anything less is a tinker

And you can’t tinker a stinker

Reactions: Clyde Brewer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad