Post-Game Talk: Oilers with the reverse orca card

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
I'm sure glad we have a Coach who is willing to try more than one goalie.

The crease is officially Pickards. Run with it.

Not just a new goalie but new defensive pairings and breaking up McDrai.

When the going has gotten tough and Drai has been nicked up in the past, it's always McDrai. But Knob got ballsy and didn't rely on them here. He went straight to what was working with them on separate lines.

Also the defensive pairings worked well which is a credit to him too because when he tried these pairings after the deadline the results were inconclusive to bad. But they worked here. Big shout out to Kulak who spent the whole game containing the Canucks attack but also Cody Ceci.

As for Pickard, it was a gamble, it paid off. It's his crease to lose now.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

When the going has gotten tough and Drai has been nicked up in the past, it's always McDrai. But Knob got ballsy and didn't rely on them here. He went straight to what was working with them on separate lines.

Also the defensive pairings worked well which is a credit to him too because when he tried these pairings after the deadline the results were inconclusive to bad. But they worked here. Big shout out to Kulak who spent the whole game containing the Canucks attack but also Cody Ceci.

I agree although Ceci had some tough moments in last nights game.
That said I would like to see Knoblauch go with exactly the same pairings next game.
Things just seemed calmer to me defensively and I have no doubt that helped Pickard as well.

Reactions: OfCorsiDid

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I'm with you here... tie up the sticks instead, clear the sightlines.

If you are going to try and block the puck, please for the love of god be "one object" rather than a disperse set of arms and legs... get your legs together. Don't turn your body... or stick out your leg... your gonna get hurt and that's just more edges for random shit to happen.

And be coasting OUT toward the puck so that the deflecting angles are improving as the windup is happening, rather than standing static 4 feet in front of your goalie where you are blocking the view and any glancing blow can be top corner.

Signed,

Your not-so-cat-like-reflexes beer league goalie.

There was one block yesterday by not-Nurse [maybe it was Bouch?] where the player went closer to the shooter and Pickard could still see the puck.
No idea why Nurse can't figure it out. He's always super close the goalie and never seems to be able to clear anyone in front of the crease

Reactions: bucks_oil

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Hard to keep McDrai together when the other 9 guys looked the way they did.

I get putting them together at times, but that can only be here and there. Unless your bottom 6 starts scoring the Oil need to have Leon and Connor split.

Love the bench's reaction

Geez easy on the jump don't need to twist your ankle :laugh:

Reactions: OfCorsiDid

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
You’d think so but he was in Phoenix for something like 7 or 8 years.

Think only 4 years in AZ, no? And with no expectations. Expectations through the roof now with the Canucks after this miracle season. He will be railing on players hard if they can't reproduce this magic year of career high shooting by almost every key player.
Lasted 2 years in Tampa.

Reactions: Oilhawks

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Late to the party, but anyone who wants some amazing reading should check out the Canucks GDT.

The best part is right after the Canucks tied the game, and someone posts "We got this! Now for the DAGGER!"

Ohhhhh it was a dagger alright... :naughty:

I was texting with a friend and was telling him how Silovs was starting to show cracks. When the Nucks scored he responded with there are cracks showing alright but no with Vancouver. I was just about to respond when Bouch scored and I said. There’s the crack for you. Lol

Reactions: Oilhawks

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
It's funny for a lot of reasons, but one in particular. Rishaug is obsessive about propping himself up as a journalist, "no cheering here, I'm not a fan, don't care either way, etc." Farhan is his Vancouver equivalent and doesn't appear to have any issue showing how partisan he is haha.

In one ep of GYB, Rishaug admits he grew up as a huge Oilers fan. But since he's part of media, he's not allowed to show it even though he has his biases.

The Vancouver media, every single one of them, has no qualms showing it. Iain MacIntyre and Farham Lalji being 2 of the worst

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I just loved the hit Kane threw to preceed the game winner. Hronek got absolutely pasted, that’s how you win big games, gotta have bangers like Kane.
I said yesterday we need to punish Hughes-Hronek they are smaller d-men with little playoff experience. Punish those guys while you can to throw them off.

It's not only about Kane doing that and it resulting in a goal, which don't get me wrong it's beautiful. But if you can get d-men off their game because they are worried about getting crushed, it'll open up other opportunities either in the current game or the next ones.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Drai is just mocking Petey and Lindholm. Drai can't be too pleased idiots like Friedman and others were saying Petey was MVP type player, better than Draisaitl. At peak hysteria (completely made up) Petey was being described as a great all zone player that created while shutting everything down defensively. As if his mere presence on ice bended rinks. It was bizarre. He's not even noticeabe except like Hughes you see somebody out there on ice that looks like a boy.

Seriously somebody posted a picture of Pettersson on ice with a couple friends and I joked who's the kid in the picture. I don't know this guy would have the strength to play Tennis.

You watch Petey and the impression you get is "I don't like this playoff hockey, can't it be regular season again" ? Its laughable.
Petey’s play is equal in all 3 zones in the playoffs.

Equally shitty

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Only saw the last period unfortunately, and am super happy for the win, but, man, we are bad at shutting teams down and protecting a lead. I don't think I'd trust this group with a 5-0 lead going into the 3rd. I hate it when the d-men can't clear it, and then the forwards are weak covering the points, leading to long shots and potential bad deflections, which the law of averages say will eventually go in. They need to find a way to button things down or there will be more trouble down the road.

rec28

Dec 16, 2003
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Question for someone smarter than me: is there a systems-based explanation for why the Oilers are so chronically, consistently incapable of clearing their zone under pressure? Is this a natural side effect of their system or are they simply as slow/clueless as they appear? Want to support Pickard/Skinner even more and get that GAA down? Get the f***ing puck out of your zone!

/driving me crazy

Reactions: Kerberos

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Whats Messier saying about the "Terrific" Canucks today. One of the plus pts of beating Nucks is going to be shutting Mess' gob. Who am I kidding. Nothing will. Kind of getting done with him as an analyst and the TNT broadcasts are just awful. been taken over by the "spittin Chicklets' type crew. Constant talk during play. They make Jack Michaels appear focused. In the last Dallas game for 5mins, during play they're talking about how much PK Subban likes to party, and he's really about the party and the guy parties for days, sometimes week.s Then they talk about a player that takes a month off every year to party. and its like I don't care, shut up, shut up now, they don't shut up. volume off..

Its like Jr High kids took over the telecasts.
I think the TNT crew, the in studio crew, are great. I like the fun mixed with hockey analysis package that they provide similar to the Inside The NBA crew and it's top notch production plus they pour a lot into the NHL with the pre and postgame shows.

The ESPN crew, Subban in particular, just awful like everything ESPN with pro sports. They don't even have a postgame show. They just go straight to Sportscenter to show NBA and WNBA (yes, WNBA) highlights right after the game, didn't even show the Oilers-Kings handshake line. They're a sham.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad